• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taco Bell 2014 -

Toliver

• 2 weeks later...

Memory lane: As a young child (7yo), my father got clean from a very long, very bad addiction to methamphetamines that nearly destroyed our family. As life got back to 'regular', we were understandably in narrow financial straits (of course I didn't realize that as a kid). Our special treat each week was going to Taco Bell on Sunday afternoons after church. My mother always ordered the 'pintos & cheese with green sauce & onions' - and so it became my favorite as well. I've eaten that weekly for nearly 40 years, and passed it on to all of my kids. So, when TB cancelled the green sauce, I was affected a little more than I should have been over a $1.29 cup of reconstituted been product with various questionable toppings.

It's fascinating how powerful certain foods can be in memory.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And the hits keep coming...

"Taco Bell is eliminating five more menu items"

Beginning November 5, Taco Bell will be dropping Mexican Pizza, pico de gallo and shredded chicken from the menu. Taco Bell assured fans on Thursday that this is the final time this year that it will change its menu, and the removals will "make room for new innovations."
...It's replacing pico de gallo with diced tomatoes. The removal of shredded chicken means three chicken items — shredded chicken soft taco, shredded chicken burrito, and shredded chicken quesadilla melt — will disappear in the fall. In their place, Taco Bell will add a tropical iced drink, Dragonfruit Freeze, and a chicken chipotle melt.

• Confused 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The Mexican Pizza! But I love the Mexican Pizza.... that is to say, I did love it, the last time I had one.... in 1992....

.... well, I guess I really have no standing to complain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

On 9/3/2020 at 5:21 PM, Toliver said:

And the hits keep coming...

"Taco Bell is eliminating five more menu items"

They're doing well at eliminating almost everything I enjoy in their restaurants.  First it was the nachos supreme (also the triple layer nachos), beefy Fritos burrito and the grillers.  Now it's the chicken soft taco.  I don't understand why any of these items as well as the chips and salsa make any sense at all for removal.  It's not as if they are eliminating products from the kitchen because many of their other items still require the ingredients from the items they are eliminating (with the possible exception of shredded chicken).  They are adding chicken of some type for couple of the new menu items and also adding a new drink which also appears to require additional products to make.

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"Taco Bell Is Getting Its Own Wine to Pair with Chalupas"

... the Tex-Mex chain has been dabbling in alcohol of its own. Since 2015, Taco Bell has been expanding its “Cantina” concept which sells margaritas and other boozy concoctions. And in 2017, the brand even released its own branded beer, Beach Bell Lager. But here’s something you may have never thought you’d see: An official Taco Bell wine.

Taco Bell trying to up its game.xD

• Haha 2

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

Just an FYI for Taco Bell fans...

"Taco Bell to add Nacho Fries, Bacon Club Chalupa starting Christmas Eve after cutting menu amid COVID-19"

After recently trimming its menu, Taco Bell is expanding it – for a limited time.

Starting Dec. 24, the fast-food chain says it is bringing back Nacho Fries along with the $1 Loaded Nacho Taco, Taco and Burrito Cravings Pack and Bacon Club Chalupa.

Edited by Toliver
To add link (log)

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

"Taco Bell Is Selling A New Seasoning Mix That You Can Put On Literally Anything"

They come in two different flavors—mild and hot—and are sold in giant shakers that will give you the perfect amount of flavor every single time. And while Taco Bell already has taco seasoning out there that gets rave reviews, these new products are slightly different. They're meant to put on everything you could ever want from yes, tacos to popcorn to pizza to chicken and everything in between. 

Walmart sells a lot of the Taco Bell products including the Taco Bell Taco Sauces.

The Taco Bell Taco Seasoning is supposed to be good (click) according to the article.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Taco Bell enters the Chicken "Sandwich" Wars.

"Taco Bell's New Menu Item Is Both a Crispy Chicken Sandwich and a Taco"

Announced this morning, Taco Bell's Crispy Chicken Sandwich Taco will get a test launch in Nashville, Tennessee, and Charlotte, North Carolina, starting on March 11 (priced at $2.49) before receiving a promised nationwide rollout later this year. And yes, the new product will maintain "an iconic taco form;" however, instead of a standard shell, this "sandwich taco" will be served in "a puffy bread." Maybe you could think of it as a next level Gordita? (R.I.P.) Taco Bell simply says the menu item is both "a sandwich AND a taco."

• Confused 1

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

Everything old is new again:

"Taco Bell is bringing back the Quesalupa"

The Quesalupa quickly became a fan favorite when it debuted in 2016, combining the cheesy traits of a quesadilla with a crispy chalupa shell to create a double layer filled with seasoned beef, lettuce, cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream. 
Vegetarians can substitute the beef with black beans.

It will only be around for a limited time.

Tim Oliver

• 4 months later...

"One of the Most Popular Taco Bell Items In History Is Returning to the Menu"

The company is at it yet again with some big news—its most successful limited-time item in history is making a splashy comeback to the menus this summer. The viral Nacho Fries, which keep making much-too-short appearances at Taco Bell, will return for the seventh time later this month.

...they're super crispy fries coated in bold Mexican spices and served with a side of hot nacho cheese dipping sauce. And to mix it up, the chain is introducing the Loaded Taco-style version of the fries for the first time. The spuds will be smothered in a layer of warm nacho cheese sauce, reduced-fat sour cream, and savory seasoned beef. 

I suppose if McD's has their once-in-awhile McRibs, then Taco Bell can have its sporadic Nacho Fries.:B

Tim Oliver