• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taco Bell 2014 -

Toliver

Living where I do I have every national fast food joint close by. Ironically the Taco Bell at the closest big shopping center closed; replaced by Peruvian?!  Interesting. I am not a fast food afficianao but I must admit that when the chips are down and maybe comfort food is required - TB's bean & cheese burritos hit the spot (with hotter sauce from home). It has been years, but I remember them well :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Every restaurant that exists in the tiny town I live in is within 2 miles of home, almost all of them are within a few blocks, and I always know I can make better food at home... but somebody else can make the food and clean up the mess at the restaurants. So sometimes better food doesn't win. :D

I agree but I am a bit of a person that hates to hear her husband complain about them not doing the food to his satisfaction and then how his intestinal system is in distress......how I heard about the bit of butter on the English muffins and how they were burnt so I had to luck the burnt bits off....but not perfectly as himself had to pull off more

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

hey...I get it.  I'm thinking about ordering a small cheese pie and a piece of lasagna right now.....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've already admitted on here that I am a fan of Taco Bell's sleazy comfort food. :$

I can't get there anymore, but you know what? I would love a Spicy Tostada, a few Crispy Tacos and a Bean and Cheese Burrito RIGHT NOW!

Here's an article from our local TV station about a Taco Bell Cantina that offers alcohol right across Hillsborough St. from the NC state campus. They say there are only 40 like this nationwide.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I finally tried Taco Bell's french fries. They're really good and are not spicy at all. I couldn't figure out what the spice blend on the fries was. Just an overall nice blend.

The cheese sauce they give you (to dunk the fries in) is ubiquitous and very generic tasting.

The major drawback with the fries is that they are limp when served. They need to be run through an Air Fryer to totally crisp them up and then they'd really be awesome.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 6 months later...

"New spicy Steak Rattlesnake Fries are sliding into Taco Bell for limited time"

Taco Bell's new spicy side item has some bite.

The Mexican-style fast-food chain announced Thursday that Steak Rattlesnake Fries will slide into participating restaurants nationwide on Feb. 28. The fiery fries join Taco Bell's popular Nacho Fries, which returned Jan. 24 and are available for a limited time.

Rattlesnake Fries also include the seasoned fries and nacho cheese but are topped with marinated steak, creamy jalapeño sauce and spicy jalapeños.

Both types of fries are around for a limited time so get 'em while you can. :cool:

Tim Oliver

• 6 months later...

"Taco Bell is dropping 9 fan-favorite items from its menu"

Farewell, Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Taco. We barely knew thee. In a semi-surprising piece of news, Taco Bell has announced that it’s slimming down its menu and ditching nine items in the process, including a few cult favorites.

Goodbye, Double Decker Taco (et al), I hardly knew ye! xD

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver

How odd,...they get rid of 9 things off their menu and turn around and add something new:

"Taco Bell’s Toasted Cheddar Chalupa Has Cheese Baked Straight Into The Shell"

...the inside is pretty similar to a classic Chalupa: seasoned beef, chicken, or steak as a protein, and lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and sour cream on top. The key difference here is that cheddar cheese—a six-month aged cheddar, to be exact—is BAKED into the chalupa shell.

It hasn't been rolled out to all Taco Bells. I guess it's still in the testing stages.

If it shows up at your local Taco Bell, please take one for the team and try it.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Two Taco Bell articles to share:

"Taco Bell seasoned beef recall: 2.3M pounds removed from restaurants"

On Monday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced some of Taco Bell's seasoned beef products sent to restaurants nationwide have been recalled because they "may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically metal shavings."

According to the USDA, Columbus, Ohio-based Kenosha Beef International is recalling "an undetermined amount of seasoned beef products," which were produced on various dates from Sept. 20 to Oct. 4. 

"Taco Bell Is Making Chips Out of Cheese"

...Taco Bell seems set on launching a line of Cheddar Crisps that put queso front and center. And by that, I mean these things appear to be made entirely out of cheddar cheese. Spotted by @Candyhunting, Instagram’s busiest snack sleuth, this new ‘Bell offering will be made with 100 percent real cheese and feature “bold seasonings,” according to the packaging. They’ll be available in a spicy “Fire! Sauce” flavor and “(Mild)”, which is for cowards.

These are intended for sale in grocery stores.

This really isn't anything new. I currently buy Parmesan cheese crisps for my chopped green salads (there are cheddar cheese crisps, too). These will hopefully have some sort of Taco-ish flavor.

Tim Oliver

8 hours ago, Toliver said:

some of Taco Bell's seasoned beef products sent to restaurants nationwide have been recalled because they "may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically metal shavings."

Good. I was getting ready to order delivery and now I won't. I like Taco Bell, but delivery is expensive. I'll make my own, but it won't be like Taco Bell.

8 hours ago, Toliver said:

And by that, I mean these things appear to be made entirely out of cheddar cheese.

Yeah, they're called fricos. Nothing new at all and easy to make at home with a nonstick pan. I mean dead easy.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

14 hours ago, rotuts said:

I can't even imagine 2.3 Million lbs of beef !

When I buy a quarter steer, it nets out about 100 to 125 pounds of beef. That would put a whole steer netting out 400-500 pounds, which would mean the whole critter on the hoof weighing maybe, what, 900 pounds? And as it's a small-farm, grass finished steer, he's smaller than most mass-produced ones. So let's say 650 net pounds of beef per steer. Maybe 1/3 of the net is ground. Say 220 pounds. So what is that, 100,000 head of cattle? (I dont do math well....)

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...

Taco Bell joins the chicken strips club:

"Taco Bell introducing chicken strips, new dipping sauce"

The Mexican fast food chain is testing new Crispy Tortilla Chicken, set to hit menus nationwide in 2020. The new item is white-meat chicken that's marinated in jalepeño buttermilk-flavored marinade, then rolled in a crunchy tortilla chip coating.

The strips come with a new signature dipping sauce — Creamy Chili Pepper Sauce — but can also be served inside a taco.

Sounds good to me, but they also sound expensive. :hmmm:

Edited by Toliver
To add link to the article (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

"Taco Bell Cantina to open in Sacramento this week"

The Cantina is a Taco Bell restaurant where people can buy beer -- including two local beers from Knee Deep in Auburn and Hazy in Fairfield -- and freezes spiked with Tahoe Blue Vodka.

The eatery also has special Cantina Nachos that people can only get at the Taco Bell Cantina.

If anyone takes one for the team, please report back.:B

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

"Taco Bell introduces toasted breakfast burritos to fend off Wendy's and McDonald's"

Taco Bell is stepping into the breakfast wars.

Starting Thursday, the chain began selling a new line of pressed breakfast burritos. Three items are joining the menu: a toasted breakfast burrito with eggs, sausage and nacho cheese sauce, one with eggs, potato bites, pico de gallo, a three-cheese blend and either bacon or sausage, and one with eggs, the three-cheese blend, a hash brown and bacon or sausage.
The chain has been serving breakfast nationally since 2014 and already has a robust menu which includes burritos, tacos, quesadillas and more. But as more fast food chains expand their breakfast options, Taco Bell is stepping up its game.

McDonald's added new chicken breakfast sandwiches and now Wendy's has debuted breakfast, as well. Are these Taco Bell added items enough to stave off the competition?

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

A little late in the day to post this now...

"Free tacos! Taco Bell giving away freebie Tuesday as part of its coronavirus response"

... the fast-food chain is giving away free Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos on Tuesday in the drive-thrus of participating locations as part of its coronavirus response. No purchase is necessary but the offer is only available while supplies last.

In a letter posted on Tacobell.com, CEO Mark King said the giveaway is to show the company's appreciation and that "we're all in this together." 

Get it while you can. :B

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

"Taco Bell is saying goodbye to its 7-Layer Burrito and other classics to make room for two new menu items"

If you're a fan of Taco Bell's 7-Layer Burrito or Spicy Potato Soft Taco, you better visit a Taco Bell soon because they will no longer be on the menu starting August 13.

The fast food chain announced Friday that it's simplifying its menu by retiring 11 items.

The winds of change are a-blowing at Taco Bell. At least, I think it's wind blowing...:wink: xD

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tim Oliver

On 7/20/2020 at 1:26 PM, Toliver said:

"Taco Bell is saying goodbye to its 7-Layer Burrito and other classics to make room for two new menu items"

The winds of change are a-blowing at Taco Bell. At least, I think it's wind blowing...:wink: xD

At least locally, they also retired the green sauce. For shame. 

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting