• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Edit History

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

The green sauce is not in packets or anything. It's just called 'green', like the stuff on a regular tostada or a bean burrito is 'red'. It appears to be just chopped skinless green chiles, with maybe a thickener, no mayo. It's kinda clear looking and not very spicy -definitely not jalepeno. I just order something like 'a bean burrito with green sauce please' and the cashier does:

-Red

+Green

on the receipt. Once in a blue moon I get asked if I want the green in addition to the regular red sauce.

I learned about the sauce in Santa Fe, where everywhere you eat people ask if you want 'red or green' so, I never learned a fancy name for it. No one has ever not known what it is. That said, I have mostly been living in the SouthWest.

It was originally on the quesadillas, back when they were introduced around 1997 or so (?) then a couple of years later they changed to the creamy sauce. I prefer the green. It's also really good on the breakfast crunchwrap, there's a slight acidity to it that really changes the dish. (I also have less of a tendency to feel overstuffed, so I think it has less fat than the creamy sauces)

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

The green sauce is not in packets or anything. It's just called 'green', like the stuff on a regular tostada or a bean burrito is 'red'. It appears to be just chopped skinless green chiles, with maybe a thickener, no mayo. It's kinda clear looking and not very spicy -definitely not jalepeno. I just order something like 'a bean burrito with green sauce please' and the cashier does:

-Red

+Green

on the receipt. Once in a blue moon I get asked if I want the green in addition to the regular red sauce.

I learned about the sauce in Santa Fe, where everywhere you eat people ask if you want 'red or green' so, I never learned a fancy name for it.

It was originally on the quesadillas, back when they were introduced around 1997 or so (?) then a couple of years later they changed to the creamy sauce. I prefer the green. It's also really good on the breakfast crunchwrap, there's a slight acidity to it that really changes the dish. (I also have less of a tendency to feel overstuffed, so I think it has less fat than the creamy sauces)