• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

cteavin

Methylcellulose F50, genoise, and structure

3 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post, if not and the moderators would like to move, feel free.

The other day I took out the methylcellulose F50 and proceeded with the following:

• 120 grams egg white
  • 60 grams methylcellulose F50 hydrated overnight (3 grams F50, 1 gram Xanthan, 150 grams water)
  • 150 grams white sugar
  • 100 grams AP flour

Method: Whipped the whites and F50 until they started to foam, added sugar and whipped util they still (about 10 minutes). Folded in the flour and baked in floured cake pan 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. Five minutes after taking out, inverted the cake pan with the cake inside.

The next morning the center collapsed a bit. Cutting, the center fell further. There were lots of air pockets which when collapsed form layers. There's nothing gummy about it. The taste and mouthfeel remind me of a sweat bread than a cake. Taste, moist and wonderful.

Aside from a savory cake another goal is to make a genoise with reduced sugar and no fat. My thinking was that since the F50 holds 40 times its weight in water then the cake should be moist without syrup and fat. Yes. After 24 out without a cover, it's still moist and the flavor is good.

I'm thinking the weight of the water has caused the cake to collapse. Does anyone know a formula for how much sugar stabilizes x grams of egg white? In other words, do you think an increase in sugar would help stabilize the cake? Also, do you think that using a bread flour would give the cake the structure it needs? Ideas on preventing it from deflating are appreciated.

Thanks

I'll have to dig through my notes but I developed a recipe a few years ago for a savory biscuit roulade. It had almost no sugar in it and the texture, crumb, etc. worked out great. I developed it at someone else's request, they were wanting a savory "jelly roll" type thing with a mushroom mousse. I realize you're not looking for savory and what I did wasn't a genoise, the reason I mentioned it is because the lack of sugar didn't seem to have any real negative effects when baked in a thin layer. I didn't try baking it in deeper pans. I'm curious now how it would have stood up to that.

1 person likes this

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Actually, the holy grail for me is a savory cake. If you have your notes, I would be extremely grateful if you would share.

• Similar Content

• Seeking Recommended egullet threads for a Souv Vide neophite
      By Porthos
      I have purchased an Anova circulator. My interest in sous vide is based upon needing to prepare chicken and pork dishes that remain more moist than other cooking methods I have used. This is based upon needing more moistness for my wife. After her bariactric surgery she became sensitive to meat that is not still very moist.

I would like recommendations for some threads to read through to help get me started.
    • Fondant ruffles
      By pastrygirl
      I've been requested to make a cake inspired by Prince circa the Purple Rain era - "a riot of purple" and white ruffles like the shirt he wore.  I have little experience with fondant, am planning to use marshmallow fondant (melted marshmallows + powdered sugar).  Does anyone have any tricks to making the ruffles perky and 3-D?  Should I drape them over something the day before and let them dry? I want them to add dimension. Thanks!

• Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 3)
      By DanM
      [Host's note: this topic forms part of an extended discussion that grew too big for our servers to handle efficiently.  The discussion continues from here.]

I am thinking about an Anova for a slightly different purpose. Can I use this in a home brewing environment to manage the grain mash temperature? 

Maybe I can use this for a HERMS brewing setup? I would use the Anova to maintain the temperature of a hot water tank. I would then use my pump to circulate the wort from the mash tun through a heat exchanger (copper coil) that is immersed in the hot water tank.

Thanks. 

Dan
    • A Wolf, a Viking, and a French macaron walk into a bar...
      By pastrygirl
      I'm frustrated!  The restaurant kitchen has two gas convection ovens, a Wolf with a 6-burner top and a Viking with a French flat top top.  The Wolf has long been the pastry oven and I've baked approximately a zillion things in it, including a few thousand French macarons.  Unfortunately the Wolf has been out of commission and I'm left with the Viking.  The cream puffs, brownies, and shortbread have been baking fine, but I've had two batches of French macaron with really poor foot development and some cracking on top.  I made a batch today and gave at least a third of the shells to staff because of poor rise.  I don't think I rushed the drying, they seemed appropriately skinned-over before baking.  It's a nice sunny day and I've made plenty of macarons in the rain so I don't think it's the weather.  The Viking seems like a moister heat when I open the oven, is it possible that one make of oven would create a more humid heat, or have I simply lost my macaron mojo?  Help!
    • What went wrong with these cookies?
      By Nancy in Pátzcuaro
      Last night I made "Fudgy Chocolate-Walnut Cookies (flourless)" for a Seder dinner tonight. What emerged from the oven weren't cookies at all, but rather a crisp puddle with vaguely cookie-shaped broken pieces floating on it. Tastes wonderful, but looks pretty bad. No photos--too ugly.

The recipe includes 9 oz. toasted walnuts chopped very fine in the food processor, 3 cups confectioner's sugar, 1/2 cup + 3 Tbs. Dutch process cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 Tbs. vanilla, and 4  egg whites (unwhipped) . The instructions say to preheat the oven to 350 and bake for 20 minutes.

My first thought is that the oven temperature is too high for anything with egg whites in it. Any other ideas? I will try this again at a lower temperature, but there's no time to do it today (plus I'm out of both walnuts and confectioner's sugar). I'll bring them tonight, but it's a little embarrassing to have to break this big dark brown cookie/cracker into uneven pieces to serve it.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks--

Nancy in Pátzcuaro