• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stephanie Jaworski - Joy of Baking

Shel_B

Recently I discovered Stephanie Jaworski's site, Joy of Baking. Since I'm just starting to play with baking and desserts, and don't know very much about such things at this point, I was wondering what more experienced bakers and dessert makers think of the site and Jaworski's recipes and techniques. Are her recipes generally dependable?

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

I haven't tried any of her recipes, but the techniques look sound (at random I checked out the carrot cake and chocolate cookies). They're not really my style of baking, but for beginners it looks good, and it's good that there are videos to go with it.

The site itself is an eyesore, unhelpfully organized and full of glaring adverts. If you're going to try the recipes, copy and paste them into a document, it'll make your baking much more pleasant :)

• Like 1

I browse her site every now and then. I find her site fairly helpful because I am not an adventurous baker and seldom do it. I've done only brownies & cookies (can't remember which ones), but they turned out fine. Recipes are simple to follow.

But yes, I agree her website organization and eye-appeal needs a little work. Searching for something specific can be annoying. The recipes are printer-friendly and you can print without the adverts (at least on Chrome).

• Like 1

I haven't tried any of her recipes, but the techniques look sound (at random I checked out the carrot cake and chocolate cookies). They're not really my style of baking, but for beginners it looks good, and it's good that there are videos to go with it.

The site itself is an eyesore, unhelpfully organized and full of glaring adverts. If you're going to try the recipes, copy and paste them into a document, it'll make your baking much more pleasant :)

I like the videos, and they are helpful to me as a novice baker and desert maker. I always copy recipes into a separate document, a habit I got into years ago. Apart from your reason, it also makes it easier to take recipes with me to other locations using a flash drive rather than trying to remember web sites and other such info. Thanks for your helpful comments.

... Shel