• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carpano Bianco

Yojimbo

The name is legendary . . . . the expectations were high . . . . the taste was . . . somehow disappointing? Am I the only one who was underwhelmed, and isn't sure what to do with this stuff?

It's kinda like a weird hybrid between a sweet and a dry vermouth -- it's sweeter than a regular dry, it's more floral and less earthy/spicy than a good sweet, and it doesn't even have the gooseberry notes of Dolin Blanc. I've tried it on the rocks, with gin, in Martini, Negroni, and other variations on other classics, and it just doesn't fit any of them.

I'd be happy to hear otherwise, but at this point, the Italians can keep the other bottles to themselves and not bother importing them, and it pains me to say so about anything with the Carpano name on it.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

I thought it tasted great on its own but wasn't distinctive enough to keep a bottle around. To me it tastes very much like Antica Formula with the bitterness and sweetness dialed down and the vanilla removed. I think it's closer to a rosso in flavor than to another bianco.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937