• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edge Pro has a New Website

Porthos

For those of us who use Edge Pro knife sharpeners they had put up an improved website. Much easier to use.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=596c628f99-Welcome_to_the_Website2_21_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eafc48d496-596c628f99-131683485

I can't imagine being without this tool. A couple of weeks from now I will sharpen between 12 and 15 knives in preparation of my participation in the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure. We will have SHARP knives.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

nice. the EP has made all the difference w my global knives which were a bit difficult to get 'just right'

I think I remember you mentioning in the past that there were some tips you were given to sharpen the globals on the edge pro - care to share the knowledge?

Have picked up a set of globals and whilst they're very sharp now, the edge does look more acute than other knives I've owned, so any tips on sharpening in the future would be appreciated.

on another Knife web site they discussed the Globals endless-ly

they suggested that the steel was a bit different from some some others. a bit more 'sticky'

all I know that before I got the EP my globals ( 4 ) were good. but not fantastic.

with the EP and an understanding how that system works

they are now OutStanding.

what system do you use to sharpen your current knives ?

Historically I have sent the knives out for someone else to do it, but the wear on the knives per sharpening has taken its toll. I have in mind that doing it myself I might be a bit gentler with the wear - but only if I do it right. I've begun sharpening myself recently with a few whetstones of various grits, but no sharpening system. Something like the edge pro is obviously a significant investment. But then so are a set of new knives...