• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 2)

nathanm

I am another happy camper! Mine is sitting next to my desk at work via the elves of FedEx (glad their planes didn't suffer a Southwest failure!). Now all I need to figure out is how to carry a bulky 46.3 pound box out of the office, down the elevator, through the lobby, across the street, into the parking garage and up the ramps without collapsing.

How have most recipients begun to leaf through the volumes? Did you start book 1, page 1 or flip through all of them randomly or begin with the Kitchen Manual or leaf the index for topics?

I got mine this afternoon and I don't know where to start! I think I'm going to start with Volume 1 and see where I end up.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

Finally!

Shipment 1 of 1

Shipped

Delivery Estimate: April 12 2011

Tracking Information:

Hide Tracking

Ship Carrier: Canada Post

Latest Event: MISSISSAUGA ON

Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit - Apr 05, 2011 8:33:00 PM

Shipment notice from Amazon.ca a few minutes ago. What can I say? There've been times when I seriously doubted that Amazon.ca would get any copies at all.

Edited by pedro (log)

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

So Kerry sent me the tracking information and I am checking for updates every 3 minutes - more often than I checked contractions for my three kids! Are we all totally insane? We are even discussing chasing the UPS truck around Burlington tomorrow. WE need an INTERVENTION.

Edited to fix verb tense. I am NOT pregnant.

Edited again - can't even think straight - too excited.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Check your tracking number; Amazon said mine would be delivered the 8th. I got the shipping email and plugged the tracking number into Fedex. It's coming tomorrow by noon.

Brilliant! Same thing with Canada Post. It says April 11-12 in Amazon but the Canada Post website says it's coming tomorrow!!!

As with all you others up there, I was very excited to see the 'Shipping' status come up this morning. The next challenge will be seeing how long it takes to cross the Pacific.

Nathan, you're going to be exhausted after all this. How about a few quiet days in New Zealand? I may have a book for you to sign soon ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I am beginning my quest to read Modernist Cuisine and want to take notes (don't want to mark up the book yet). Any suggestions for apps, software or a paper based system? I'm leaning towards apps or software so my notes can searchable.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

What will your notes note, exactly? The volumes are ridiculously well indexed and cross-referenced. Maybe you should just write notes in the margins of the Kitchen Manual, keep the other volumes pristine.

With the "paper" that is printed on being almost indestructible and stain proof, my suspicion is that you wouldn't be able to get anything that would write on it and not simply wipe off.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Amazon UK this morning:

We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on October 13 2010.

Nathan Myhrvold, et al "Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0982761007

We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

BAH!

Oh no just just got the dreaded Email from amazon UK

"We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on November 28 2010.

Nathan Myhrvold, et al "Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0982761007

We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information"

Now worryed if. i'll get a copy!

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I've got a DHL tracking number so I'm a happy camper!

Not sure exactly where in China the printing was done, but assuming somewhere near to Shanghai the trip from there to Vancouver to Toronto to Sydney is going to be about 28000km - almost 20,000km more (or 3.5 times the distance) than if it was shipped to me from the source! Sounds like a business opportunity for someone to advise Amazon especially considering that each set weighs in at around 20kg.

According to DHL my books went from Toronto to Hamilton (also in Ontario) then on to Cincinnati and at last look they've left there bound for points unknown en-route to Sydney.

I'm getting impatient!

Cheers,

Peter.

What will your notes note, exactly? The volumes are ridiculously well indexed and cross-referenced. Maybe you should just write notes in the margins of the Kitchen Manual, keep the other volumes pristine.

With the "paper" that is printed on being almost indestructible and stain proof, my suspicion is that you wouldn't be able to get anything that would write on it and not simply wipe off.

While this may be a shock to some, I found that a permanent marker allows you to take notes on the Kitchen Manual. I've also already got three pads of post-it notes stuck to various pages throughout the volumes.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I keep saying this, but you really should not pay much attention to Amazon shipping predictions. It's not like they know something special or secret. Typically they will set expectations low until the point when suddenly it ships - that pattern has occurred many times in this thread.

Nathan

Mine just got delivered a couple hours ago via Fedex.

I must say, Nathan, these are very well done! I know everyone is telling you this but they're truly a gem, now to get on with reading through them!

Science tastes yummy!

Whelmed over and over and over. Mine came to my office yesterday and I wanted to wait until home for the full opening experience and an experience it was. First, it was so perfectly packaged-I am not certain I have seen anything that well protected. Second, after opening there was a new fragrance wafting in my kitchen from the ink and paper. Finally, the moment came to begin opening and reading. I can now attest and affirm there is no particular starting spot because wherever one begins there are so many pushes and pulls to other volumes and other topics.

Thank you Nathan for such a wonderful set of books. Also, thank you to The Cooking Lab team for helping to create Modernist Cuisine. The wait and anticipation has been worth each moment.

Up front.jpg

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks