• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 2)

nathanm

Uh oh, just got my shipping notification, they're in the good hands of guys with brown vans now! ETA April 6, I better get busy making some room on the book shelf! Well, first I think it'll reside on my subwoofer for a while, so I can see it all the time :-)

Exciting :-)

Oh, and I better get busy making me a printed index, I WILL have a handy printed index that's not hidden in book 5, as that's absolutely unpractical unless I'm reading book 5. And if I have to type it myself. It would really be nice if Nathan or who ever is in charge of this issue would remove the do not print limit on the online version, it really makes little sense. It's not like anybody that does NOT have the book would want to print 60 pages of an index of something they don't have. So why not make it as useful as possible to those that spend a silly amount of money on the books? I don't understand.

It's just not practical to have two of these expensive books open at all time (or even in the kitchen) just to have the index handy. Personally I actually have to remove a star from my rating for that missing index in every book reason alone. I'd have happily paid more to have the index in every book. A great book with no index is only useful if it's fiction :wink:

But I'm quite excited about my early b'day present being on the truck!

Edited by OliverB (log)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

It is great that the copies are finally being shipped. In the next several weeks about 5400 copies of the book should be delivered - which will complete the first printing.

The second printing is being made right now and should ship in June.

I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the reaction the book is getting. Here is one example, the Time Magazine most influential poll has me in it, due to the book.

I am in Paris at the moment, meeting with journalists and chefs to start the ball rolling on the French edition of the book, which we hope to have out by the end of the year.

Nathan

Sorry about the PDF index not being printable. Frankly, I did not realize that was the case - I can't be on top of everything. I will get this changed.

We made a decision about not repeating the index in each volume, because it just too much paper - it would have made the book even bigger, heavier and more expensive than it is.

I will point out that the table of contents IS repeated in each volume. That seemed to make more more sense to us.

Obviously, not everybody will agree with this decision.

We are in the process of making an index for the Kitchen Manual, which we will post online and yes it will be printable.

Nathan

I got my copy yesterday and promptly canceled my amazon.ca order.

I may have creeped out the UPS guy when I hugged him as he dropped off the box marked "HEAVY" (which apparently they won't relinquish until it's at your doorstep and they won't let you run into the back of the truck and remove, who knew??) It wasn't so much the hugging, but the tears and "I love you" afterwards.. Was screaming "CALL ME!!!!" as he walked away a bit much?

I got my copy yesterday and promptly canceled my amazon.ca order.

I may have creeped out the UPS guy when I hugged him as he dropped off the box marked "HEAVY" (which apparently they won't relinquish until it's at your doorstep and they won't let you run into the back of the truck and remove, who knew??) It wasn't so much the hugging, but the tears and "I love you" afterwards.. Was screaming "CALL ME!!!!" as he walked away a bit much?

Should have kept the Amazon.ca and sold it at a premium!

I just had a visit from the FedEx guy, who for some unknown reason parked down the street and WALKED half a block to me rather than just pulling into my driveway.

The only reason I haven't opened the box yet is because I want to wait till my husband gets home so we can do this together.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I just had a visit from the FedEx guy, who for some unknown reason parked down the street and WALKED half a block to me rather than just pulling into my driveway.

The only reason I haven't opened the box yet is because I want to wait till my husband gets home so we can do this together.

MelissaH

Congratulations! I would not have the restraint to wait for my husband!

Did you have to sign for the package? My copy is out for delivery and I left a signature release at home. I'm hoping Fedex will leave the package for me.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

Yes, they wanted a signature. FedEx is generally more hardcore about signatures than UPS. I'd actually had plans to go out this morning, but decided to only dash out and get home before the FedEx guy usually gets here. It's a wet day here, and the last thing I wanted was the box sitting outside in slop. The box is still sitting down by the door, so I don't have to look at it and think about it and wish I weren't exercising such restraint. Nothing like work to keep your mind off something fun....

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Yes, they wanted a signature. FedEx is generally more hardcore about signatures than UPS. I'd actually had plans to go out this morning, but decided to only dash out and get home before the FedEx guy usually gets here. It's a wet day here, and the last thing I wanted was the box sitting outside in slop. The box is still sitting down by the door, so I don't have to look at it and think about it and wish I weren't exercising such restraint. Nothing like work to keep your mind off something fun....

MelissaH

My Fedex guy has told me to leave a note with my signature; I hope it is the usual guy. I feel pathetic sitting at work constantly refreshing my Fedex tracking page. Fortunately, my son is home to pull in the package so it won't get wet!

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

Sorry about the PDF index not being printable. (...)

We are in the process of making an index for the Kitchen Manual, which we will post online and yes it will be printable.

Thank you so much, I assumed it was an oversight (isn't non-printable default with those?)! I understand the reasoning behind leaving it out of all but one book (though I'd still prefer it in) but having a printed and spiral bound copy possible to those that want one (like me) is definitely a great compromise, maybe even better than one in the back of the books.

Have a great trip in Europe, I can't wait to open my box tomorrow!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

This has to be goode news then! I am actually a little excited about the book now, even though amazon still shows no estimated shipping info. I'm kinda hoping before summer's over though so I can utilize my centrifuge!

Science tastes yummy!

I am another happy camper! Mine is sitting next to my desk at work via the elves of FedEx (glad their planes didn't suffer a Southwest failure!). Now all I need to figure out is how to carry a bulky 46.3 pound box out of the office, down the elevator, through the lobby, across the street, into the parking garage and up the ramps without collapsing.

How have most recipients begun to leaf through the volumes? Did you start book 1, page 1 or flip through all of them randomly or begin with the Kitchen Manual or leaf the index for topics?

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

How have most recipients begun to leaf through the volumes? Did you start book 1, page 1 or flip through all of them randomly or begin with the Kitchen Manual or leaf the index for topics?

Don't try to plan. Like I said up-topic, it's like the Grand Canyon. You're just going to want to take it all in, and there's no right or wrong way. :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts