• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 2)

nathanm

Not so much a issue of getting their act together as an issue of demand exceeding supply on hand. The first printing is in various phases of production and transit and will get to amazon.ca whenever the gods of ships and customs and trucks decree. I too await my copy - ordered November.

Those of you wishing for the index to appear at the back of the other four volumes clearly haven't lifted the thing yet! Adding, effectively, another volume just to duplicate existing content would be weighty and an added unnecessary expense.

I mean, I've had the book for a while and just have the index handy on my Droid, laptop, whatever.

But I'm also curious, are most of the recipes for this kind of micro food? I love it, but I can't see myself spending hours in the kitchen and ending up with a spoon full of something or other. ...

how would you say things balance out in total? Mostly extreme/fine dining food, a good balance between extreme and doable, more doable than extreme?

Definitely a good balance. Without question.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I saw Nathan on the Colbert Report last night. It was a fun segment. Nathan, do you care to share what that was like? Stephen seems truly impressed with the sous vide pastrami, stating it was so tender he didn't need any teeth.

I'm hoping for one day to find Modernist Cuisine in the reference section at my local library.

Good video with the authors answering a bunch of questions

YouTube video

Regarding my post about amazon.ca, as far as I know they haven't shipped out a single unit and based on Nathan's blog post saying that retailers would be sent a number of copies roughly equivalent to their share of pre-orders I came to the conclusion that they don't have their act together. Maybe things are still out of their control still but it has been 3 weeks since the first copies shipped. I'll try to wait patiently :)

Regarding my post about amazon.ca, as far as I know they haven't shipped out a single unit and based on Nathan's blog post saying that retailers would be sent a number of copies roughly equivalent to their share of pre-orders I came to the conclusion that they don't have their act together. Maybe things are still out of their control still but it has been 3 weeks since the first copies shipped. I'll try to wait patiently :)

Nathan commented upthread that Canadian orders should start shipping at the end of the month or early April. I assume that all the copies that have landed so far have been distributed in the US only.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Nathan commented upthread that Canadian orders should start shipping at the end of the month or early April. I assume that all the copies that have landed so far have been distributed in the US only.

Thanks for that, I missed that post.

rg

A question for those who own the book: how are you approaching the Kitchen Manual? It's a remarkably useful book for all the reasons mentioned: succinct recipes, waterproof (and, I can confirm after this weekend, stain-resistant!) pages, spiral bound so it sits flat, etc. But I still haven't figured out how to find stuff in there with any consistency. With such a carefully indexed book, I can't help but think that I've just not figured out the system somehow.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

There are 2 copies of the book for sale on Amazon by third party sellers. One for $1,541.82 and one for $10,000 signed by the authors and Ferran Adria.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

A question for those who own the book: how are you approaching the Kitchen Manual? It's a remarkably useful book for all the reasons mentioned: succinct recipes, waterproof (and, I can confirm after this weekend, stain-resistant!) pages, spiral bound so it sits flat, etc. But I still haven't figured out how to find stuff in there with any consistency. With such a carefully indexed book, I can't help but think that I've just not figured out the system somehow.

I start by looking up whatever I am looking for in the index (online or paper). That will list the page the recipe is on in the main volumes, but unfortunately not the kitchen manual. If it's in volumes 1-4, then I start paging through the kitchen manual based on that page number, since the recipes are ordered by the page number in volumes 1-4. You have to be careful not to get confused by the inclusion of volume five material interspersed, though. Finding volume five recipes is much harder: you have to try to guess what topic the authors thought that recipe most clearly demonstrated, and then just start reading the table of contents of the manual for that section. I really wish they had included the chapter six page numbers in that index.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Sigh... That's what I do, too.

I wonder if there's an easy way to create a simple, searchable pdf file of the contents of the Kitchen Manual. That online index is the one I use most often anyway, so having another would be golden.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Another interesting article/review about MC -- warning, it is long.

Linky

At the bottom is Nathans response to it. Interesting read.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I wonder if there's an easy way to create a simple, searchable pdf file of the contents of the Kitchen Manual. That online index is the one I use most often anyway, so having another would be golden.

This is a great idea - we are working on an online index of kitchen manual! We are busy reviewing proofs for 2nd printing but will get to this as soon as we can.

Nathan

Another interesting article/review about MC -- warning, it is long.

Linky

Reminds me of people who review movies after viewing only the trailer. I would be interested in his analysis of the content after reading the full chapter and maybe cooling off a little; I think he has something to contribute, but it gets lost in there with the hostile tone (regardless of whether or not the hostile tone is in the same tone as the article)

Here is the latest news on the shipments! Canadians rejoyce, your books are actually in Canada (but on a train for a couple more days).

In your blog, you say that you are making some corrections for the second printing. Do you plan on publishing an errata for those of us with the first edition?

There are 500 copies on a train to an Amazon ser­vice cen­ter in Indiana, from where they will likely ship on April 4. Another 600 copies are due to arrive at an Amazon facil­ity in Arizona on March 29.

Boat

The last ship left China today, which means that there are 4,130 copies of Modernist Cuisine across a series of nine boats bound for ports in the U.S. and Europe. A boat docks in New York City on March 31 and every few days after that. Some of the boats will not reach their des­ti­na­tion for a cou­ple more weeks, but by mid-April, all of the first print­ing should have shipped to customers.

Great! I'm betting I should get mine by mid-late April then. Only two or three weeks after my B-day. Not too bad :).

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Here is the latest news on the shipments! Canadians rejoyce, your books are actually in Canada (but on a train for a couple more days).

Thanks for the update. Do you happen to know if the 250 copies sent to amazon.ca will cover all orders made up to and including all of October?

Thanks,

rg

I ordered mine in December so I hope it includes mine too!

And Nathan, I just commented on the Modernist Cuisine blog, but would you be able to let us know which talks you are giving in London? As I would really love to attend!

We talking London, Ont or London across the pond?

Happy book-day to me, happy book-day to me.....books are here, made their cross country journey just fine, although the case was not so lucky (note: these were purchased 'used' and were not in their original packaging). They're very large, and not quite as heavy as I expected, and as beautiful as I'd hoped. I may not surface for a few days after diving in.