• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 3)

ShaneH

I made the cardboard sides into a cat scratch thing!

Now why didn't you suggest that before I threw them out? :biggrin:

Guess we are determined to get every last drop out of Modernist Cuisine. :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Take the 4 cardboard rectangle things that are on the sides of the cube and glue them into a square with some aquarium glue. Make a few slashes in them to expose a little of the corrugation. Spray with catnip spray. Add cat(s).

You didn't keep your box and packaging materials for your personal museum of your life?

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Take the 4 cardboard rectangle things that are on the sides of the cube and glue them into a square with some aquarium glue. Make a few slashes in them to expose a little of the corrugation. Spray with catnip spray. Add cat(s).

Harder than you think as the cats are already in the boxes you 4 cardboard rectangle things that are on the sides from, and since you want the cat to go into YOUR box following cat rules your chance is lower than zero (I know that can't happen in the real world but cat's are quantum as proved by Shrodinger - LHC looking for the Higs, yeah right a secret acronim for Large Hungry Kat)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I placed my order in July and got mine in early March which was pretty freakin' awesome. I have not been able to cook much purely from MC due to other demands, but it has been fantastic for the details to dial into butter poaching lobster or veg sous vide. I am greatly inspired by seeing the people here going full tilt on the book.

I do have a weird request : It would fantastic if there were sortable data for sous vide. I have one Sous Vide Supreme. I would love it if there were the ability sort by temperature the optimal temps for sous vide. If I have something going for 72 hrs (like a brisket now), I would love to easily find what else can be done at the same temperature.

A.

I felt sad today... I through away those hollow pyramid cardboard corner protectors... they are still in the recycling box outside so I wonder if someone can suggest an alternative use for them??

a bra for your lady?

party hats?

Lady Gaga shoulder inserts?

I kept the entire box, just in case the "first edition" eventually is worth more than a 2nd print run I can sell it and retire on the profit :laugh:

I also might have to store it for a while (remodel on the house) and the box is a good size to store other things in.

The inserts I might use in artwork.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Just got my copy in this morning. Ordered it on Amazon March 11th. I know its been said a hundred times already but WOW. You really don't know until you see it with your own eyes. I'm not sure exactly where to start yet but I think the short ribs pastrami is very high on my list. I am a photographer by trade and cook for fun so this book is about all I could ever ask for.

Mine arrived today as well (I'm very thankful for the packaging – gouges through the outer two levels of boxes but the goods were in mint condition).

I took the granddaughter for a cardboard packaging kind of girl, but she was most intrigued by the white "wrapping paper". She thought she was opening a birthday present, a perspective shared by others in the room… :wink:

ModCuisCam.JPG

Starting with Chapter one / page one and letting the authors just tell their story...

Scott Schroeder

Eau Claire Wisconsin

Thanks Chris. I can admit that a lot of food and product photography is well beyond my grasp. They are probably two of the most difficult facets in the photo world with many products requiring 8 or more light sources. I'm blown away by so much of what I have seen so far from my browsing, both in quality and sheer magnitude. I would say at first glance a lot of it looks different from what I am used to seeing. I love that they chose to shoot against black backgrounds and a lot of the lighting seems understated, but in a good way. I think I would be just as excited to see their studio setup as all the kitchen toys.

After all the talk of their heft, I thought I'd have a new heavyweight cookbook champ when MC arrived. And I certainly do if you consider the whole set as one. But for individual books, volume 2, at 3230g, comes in just behind my copy of Culinaria Italy, at 3260g. The other four volumes are all under 2900g. Culanaria Spain, Culinaria France, and The Professional Chef, 7th Ed., on the other hand, are all over 3100g. The good news is MC, though a few cm taller, will fit on the shelf with these other monsters.

Mass aside, the books are stunning. They are both beautiful and informative.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Can anyone verify the size of the acrylic book case? I'm fairly certain the set won't fit on my bookshelf, so I am hoping to build a home for them before my set arrives.

I am measuring the one I have as:

22 cm wide

28.5 cm deep

35 cm high

Get it confirmed first by another poster before you start building. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Can anyone verify the size of the acrylic book case? I'm fairly certain the set won't fit on my bookshelf, so I am hoping to build a home for them before my set arrives.

22 cm wide

28.5 cm deep

35 cm high

Wow, Anna. That's the same size as my case. :smile:

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

22 cm wide

28.5 cm deep

35 cm high

Wow, Anna. That's the same size as my case. :smile:

Larry

Oh no mine's in inches, have I got a fake :biggrin:

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Finally got around to picking up the books again, or book 2 to be more precise. Still blown away by just about every page. I paged through half the book, reading a bit here and there, and already found so many new to me things and so much cool stuff that I'll use to explain to my kids (and myself) why and how cooking works. Can't wait to try the beer can chicken now! Didn't even read a single recipe in the books yet, and if there weren't any, I'd still love the books! I really don't understand why some call this hard to read, I find it extremely well written, engaging, not patronizing, precise but not overly scientific, but also not dumbed down popular science of the TV Land Zombies. I love side boxes and notes too, I'm very happy with the books. Of course I haven't even really scratched the surface yet.

It's older news, but I finally received my first two copies of Art Culinaire magazine (well, they're actually books) and there's a nice interview with Nathan in issue 98.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog