• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 3)

ShaneH

Well well - whatever can this be, sitting by my back door?

MC.jpg

IT'S HERE!!!

Excuse me, just had to post this before I opened it. Talk amongst yourselves; I may be some time.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Finally got hold of mine, after a long day at work and 30 minutes carefully unpacking the tomb, didn't have chance to thumb more than 10 of the 2500 pages.

Anyone any idea where the ultrasonic chips are and the chicken with the golden brown skin that was cooked sous vide? (I think they cooked the skin in peking duck kind of way). And the bullet proof Bernaise sauce?

..............You can see what's first on the menu.

Edited by adey73 (log)

Finally got hold of mine, after a long day at work and 30 minutes carefully unpacking the tomb, didn't have chance to thumb more than 10 of the 2500 pages.

Anyone any idea where the ultrasonic chips are and the chicken with the golden brown skin that was cooked sous vide? (I think they cooked the skin in peking duck kind of way). And the bullet proof Bernaise sauce?

Sounds like you're after an up-market KFC experience :rolleyes:

Check the on-line index

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

WHats happening at Amazon UK? Any idea when they will have stock?

I ordered last October, and there is still no delivery date. Did the consignment get lost?

Jack Lang

My delivery date was due 8-11 April,had the email from Amazon to say they would let me know when it would be available...

Woohoo. A good morning to me! Just got this note in my inbox. Hopefully it will arrive with all volumes accounted for...might have to work from home on Friday

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed by you or by our customer service department.

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC) :

1 Modernist Cuisine: The Art...

Shipped via UPS

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I ordered last October, and there is still no delivery date. Did the consignment get lost?

Jack Lang

My delivery date was due 8-11 April,had the email from Amazon to say they would let me know when it would be available...

We all seem to be in the same boat here. I'm still waiting.....

Jack Lang

This article in the independent at the very end states "On April 14, we shall be allowed to delve inside this new gastro-Holy Bible. " could this be the date shipments arrive in the UK ?

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Still wondering what's going on with Barnes and Noble in the US. I have a manager calling me this afternoon after being informed that my order was cancelled without my permission. Has anyone received a book from B&N yet?

WHats happening at Amazon UK? Any idea when they will have stock?I ordered last October, and there is still no delivery date. Did the consignment get lost?Jack Lang
This article in the independent at the very end states "On April 14, we shall be allowed to delve inside this new gastro-Holy Bible. " could this be the date shipments arrive in the UK ?

Hi all, first post!

I'm also eagerly awaiting news about amazon.co.uk pre-orders (made mine in Dec). Check out the comments by Wayt over at the MC blog in the Sales and Shipment Update. They suggested (on 8th April) that 260 copies are on their way and should reach the UK two weeks from then, but then yesterday (10th) added tantalisingly that they've been told books have now arrived in the UK and will begin to ship on clearing customs.

Cheers,

M

Matt, UK

My wife works for B&N and I asked her if she could find anything out.

She said she could check on orders in the store she works - unfortunately no one in her store ordered one and she's just a worker so she can't check any higher up.

But I tried!

Thanks Aaron!

This remain's a mystery. Anytime I talk to someone at B&N they just say that their computers say they will not receive any copies until around July 1st. Their website has said this for the past several months, even though they have recently sent me emails saying that my order should ship by April 29th (before that it was supposed to be April 9th, and March 23rd) They have no idea if orders have been shipped. This includes a higher up manager I just spoke to on the phone.

Thanks Aaron!

This remain's a mystery. Anytime I talk to someone at B&N they just say that their computers say they will not receive any copies until around July 1st. Their website has said this for the past several months, even though they have recently sent me emails saying that my order should ship by April 29th (before that it was supposed to be April 9th, and March 23rd) They have no idea if orders have been shipped. This includes a higher up manager I just spoke to on the phone.

I put in an in store ship to home order with BN on April 2nd. I very quickly received a confirmation email and order number that I can use to track the order online. This was followed up by a delay notification which required me to confirm that I still wanted the item to prevent an auto cancellation.

The shipping date on the item is listed as March 14th which is obviously wrong. I was informed by a representative the wrong shipment date is because I ordered in store and that I would be notified when they got more in stock, supposedly July 1.

Thus far my order is still active and waiting for more copies to arrive.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Amazon.ca has identified the problem. After arrival from China, the eager workers opened up the a few boxes and fulfilled the orders with just the kitchen manual. The MC set is packaged in China and Amazon isn't suppose to open the boxes. One way to tell is that the botched kitchen manuals are being delivered in amazon.ca boxes instead of Artron boxes from China. Customer service is aware of the problem and should be contacted by customers who received just the kitchen manual. This has only been a problem at amazon.ca

MarkC

Art Director

Modernist Cuisine

glad they figured out what was going on! It might be a good idea to put a sticker or even print on the boxes TO BE OPENED BY END CUSTOMER ONLY in the future.

Still odd, don't they unpack and then shelve things? Would be obvious that there's not a pile of kitchen manuals in the box. Hopefully the ones that only got the manual will now be set up with the rest of the set. I guess some people also only got the books, but not the manual, that would then probably be the rest of those shipments. What a mess, but in a way understandable, as it was not all that clearly marked on the box. The price should have given them pause, but there are books with outrageous prices and who knows if the packers even look at that stuff.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

We do not recommend using an edge sealer to vacuum pack liquids.

A few months ago I would have agreed, but now with this trick and some practice it is feasible, as confirmed by drago. With the usual 80% vacuum of edge sealers, boiling point of water is about 60°C/140°F, so cooling before sealing is not as important as with chamber sealers.

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro

eG Ethics Signatory

I have to admit now to skipping a few chapters. The stuff on `bugs` is truly interesting but in order to keep my paranoia about food safety within reasonable limits, I quickly flipped past all the photos and descriptions of the various microscopic life that might be part of my food chain. I believe I practice excellent hygeine around food and I will study the pasteurization tables and follow them with care I just don`t want to flip out and land on the dark side. :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I too can flip out if I think too much about 'bugs', but imagine how many we are exposed to in day to day life. At least they didn't show photos of where the 'bugs' were helped along the way like behind the swinging door of all too many restaurant kitchens, open grocery coolers where the temps may not be checked daily and cross-contamination of prep areas. Controlled paranoia with a dash of skepticism is not always a bad thing!

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Well, I finally caught up with DHL today. Pictured below is my copy of Modernist Cuisine, at least according to Amazon.ca. I haven't even bothered to open it, because I already know what's inside. Yes, they charged me full price, and yes, this is the only shipment listed as part of my "closed" order. Question for others who received $400 kitchen manuals -- has Amazon.ca managed to find the missing portions of our orders yet? Trying to understand my options here.

modernistfail.jpg

The amazing part is that the entire set is sent to them prepackaged and ready to ship...