• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substituting flaxseed meal + water for eggs

egale

Last night I was making meatballs. The recipe called for two eggs. Instead of the eggs I mixed three TBL flaxseed meal with six TBL water and let it sit for several minutes. Then I added it to the meatball mixture. I proceeded to form the meatballs and I found that the flaxseed mixture worked BETTER than eggs. It bound the balls together firmly and tasted great.

• Like 2

What gave you the idea to do that? You say that the flaxseed meal worked better than eggs - in what way? By tasting great, do you mean that you could taste the flaxseed mixture?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Flaxseed meal is used a lot in low-carb meatloaves and meatballs....I don't like the texture.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Flaxseed meal is used a lot in low-carb meatloaves and meatballs....I don't like the texture.

Yes ... however, the OP described replacing eggs, which have practically no carbs, with flaxseed meal. I'd better understand the use of flaxseed meal if it was replacing bread crumbs

... Shel

To clarify, It's used as both an egg replacer and breadcrumb replacement in some low-carb recipes.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I got the idea from the Bob's Redmill site. DiggingDogFarm provides the link. I have always assumed that eggs were added to meatballs to cause them to bind together. Flaxseed caused the meatballs to bind together better than eggs would. By tasting great, I guess I mean that the flaxseed lent a very mild, slightly nutty flavor to the meatballs.

And by the way, I did not add any breadcrumbs either. So the flaxseed substituted for both eggs and breadcrumbs.

• Like 1