• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake Panning

Matthew Kirshner

I was wondering if anyone stills measure out their batter for cake panning? I am in need for adjusting my formulas so there is no waste, nor shortage. I usually have a little too much so I normally take the rest and make cupcakes, but with no oven space those usually come out "weird" when they do come out of the oven.

I usually make chiffon cakes. Knowing its a foam style cake, I was told for at least a 8" cake round, use 10oz batter. is that right?

I learned it by egg whites - for 8" use 4 whites; for 12" in two pans, use 8. I've never measured by weight - I normally balance between the two pans because for chiffon cakes I'm normally making filled ones.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)