• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting the Fruit Back OUT of the Bottle

Mjx

Has anyone taken the trouble to remove the fruit from a bottle of brandy or eau de vie? How did you do it, and how did it work out?

I've got a now-empty-except-for-the-pear bottle of Pircher Williams sitting in the refrigerator. That pear sems like it might be pretty tasty, perhaps as part of some dessert, so I'd like to get it out of there. I know I could break the bottle, but prefer to avoid that, since that inevitably unleashes a number of tiny glass splinters, some of which could end up in the pear.

I think I can fit a boning knife into the mouth of the bottle, but that risks messing up the edge of a decent knife. Is there some obvious, perhaps even well-known way to get the pear out? I'm fine with small pieces, but prefer to avoid pear puree.

Thanks!

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Give this a try:

1. transfer liquid to another bottle.

2. Find a length of some what thick springy (piano) steel wire.

3. Form a loop with the wire and insert the wire loop in to the bottle.

4. The loop will expand inside the bottle, turn the bottle upside down.

5. Pull the wire loop to cut the fruit, and draw the pieces out with the wire loop.

dcarch

• Like 2

Try this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-cut-a-bottle-with-string-and-nail-polish-re/

I can't personally vouch for this method, but I have a couple of friends back home who tell me that it really works...

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Try this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-cut-a-bottle-with-string-and-nail-polish-re/

I can't personally vouch for this method, but I have a couple of friends back home who tell me that it really works...

I would not use that method. It is not reliable and it can create tiny chips.

I do a lot of glass bottle cutting, including the best way, using a diamond table wet saw.

Get a diamond glass cutter (not expensive) and try this method.

dcarch

• Like 2

Do you not have a glass cutter or pipe-scoring tool? I'd just cut the neck of the bottle clean off and reach in and eat the pear (in fact, I do it all the time).

Thanks, but actually, I don't have a glass cutter, and I cannot think of anything else I'd use one for (I'm open to suggestions!), so I'm reluctant to get one.

Give this a try:

1. transfer liquid to another bottle.

2. Find a length of some what thick springy (piano) steel wire.

3. Form a loop with the wire and insert the wire loop in to the bottle.

4. The loop will expand inside the bottle, turn the bottle upside down.

5. Pull the wire loop to cut the fruit, and draw the pieces out with the wire loop.

dcarch

This I'm going to try (apart from step 1, since the liquid has already been transferred – to me). In fact, I'm thinking a cheese wire will be even better for doing this, since it's springy, and really thin, which should make for neat slices. Thanks!

Try this:

Eh, thanks..? On the one hand, this looks interesting, but knowing the way things often go for me, it also looks like an opportunity to add another spectacular entry to the I will never again . . . discussion. I'm going to have to pass on this one ;)

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

The whole pear in a bottle is a big scam.

They just want to cheat you to give you less alcohol.

dcarch LOL!

(Let us know if you can get the stupid thing out. Or, better yet, a great youtube video of you going nuts trying.)

Edited by dcarch (log)

The whole pear in a bottle is a big scam.

They just want to cheat you to give you less alcohol.

dcarch LOL!

Tsk. It was a fun present, and my boyfriend knew I'd get a kick out of it :raz: Plus, there's more entertainment value in working out the extraction of the pear from the bottle than there would be from getting smashed on sophisticatedly appreciating the ccs of booze the pear displaced.

(Let us know if you can get the stupid thing out. Or, better yet, a great youtube video of you going nuts trying.)

Oh, I'll get that thing out of there, and may even remember to take pictures. Video won't be happening: I curse a LOT, any video would sound like the opening moments from each scene of Four Weddings and a Funeral, strung together.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I've never tried this, but seen it mentioned many times over the years. No glass cutter required.

(https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v =_ vILNflmw Fw)

Don't not use acetone near fire. It vaporizes quickly and very flamable.

dcarch

"Flammability[edit]

The most hazardous property of acetone is its extreme flammability. At temperatures greater than acetone's flash point of −20 °C (−4 °F), air mixtures of between 2.5% and 12.8% acetone, by volume, may explode or cause a flash fire. Vapors can flow along surfaces to distant ignition sources and flash back.Static discharge may also ignite acetone vapors."