• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

56 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

And see what they are expecting to see - I did a psychology of learning course with Dr Lee Brooks of McMaster University in my undergrad - words left out of sentences, letters left out of words - we see them even when they aren't there. I found the whole thing fascinating. 

For many years, there was a sign above the windows of every carriage on London Underground trains which read something like

window.jpg.79fff8f28c6ba8a16e7240520186f584.jpg

Very few people saw the error.

But back to pronunciation, I've mentioned this before elsewhere on eG, but 'restauranteur' drives me crazy, especially when said by restaurateurs. There is no /n/ in the word!

liuzhou

liuzhou

50 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

And see what they are expecting to see - I did a psychology of learning course with Dr Lee Brooks of McMaster University in my undergrad - words left out of sentences, letters left out of words - we see them even when they aren't there. I found the whole thing fascinating. 

For many years, there was a sign above the windows of every carriage on London Underground trains which read something like

window.jpg.79fff8f28c6ba8a16e7240520186f584.jpg

But back to pronunciation, I've mentioned this before elsewhere on eG, but 'restauranteur' drives me crazy, especially when said by restaurateurs. There is no /n/ in the word!

liuzhou

liuzhou

41 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

window.jpg.6342f36be997d94a153cac69e86a48bb.jpg