• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Siphon Bread ?!

TopChefCooks

Hi ....

I'm intrieged by a technique that I saw twice before. The technique envolved using a whipping siphon to airate bread batter and then cooking the batter.

The first time I saw it , the chef mixed a batter , added it to a whipping siphon and then sprayed a layer of airated batter on a cookie sheet and baked a sort of a bread "sheet" if you can call it that.

The second time I saw it by chef tyler florence in his instagram account. He used a mold on top of a griddle and sprayed the batter inside the mold to make a burger bun.

I tried looking everywhere for anything remotly similar but couldn't find any topics on the subject.

I think it's a variation of the various quick cakes people make with the siphon. I do not have a recipe, but, if you imagine using something between a quick bread (say beer bread) recipe and cake batter minus the sugar and flavoring, it seems fairly straightforward. I think a burger bun was made because some types have a softness similar to cake. -Unlike, say ciabatta bread. I am guessing that egg binds it because there isn't a lot of gluten development, and a fairly high fat content keeps it tender.

The Voltaggios have a recipe for a brioche style bread done in a siphon. Ideas in Food has a recipe for a sourdough done in a siphon. The Ideas in Food people also ran a Yorkshire pudding batter through a siphon with good results (their words, I haven't tried it) and did a siphon cornbread that I also haven't tried (the ingredients suggest it would lean more towards the dessert side but that would be easy to adjust. It uses corn flour because corn meal would be too coarse to spray through the siphon so a few simple tweaks could probably get you something similar to a broa). All of these examples were cooked in a cup in the microwave Adria style but it wouldn't be difficult to experiment with cooking them via other methods such as you mentioned in your post.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thank you guys.

The voltaggio recipe seems a good starting point. I did try cooking it on a griddle but the end result resembeled a really light pancake instead of bread.

I will use less fat, a bit more flour and try oven baking it to see what happens. I will also try adding some yeast and letting it ferment before putting it in the canster which I hope will give it a slight yeasty flavor that u look for in breads.

A crazy idea I had which didn't work.

Have you heard of Pop Rock candy? It's a candy make with compressed CO2 gas. When you put one in your mouth, the candy will go "POP' "POP" "Pop" in your mouth.

I thought if I incorporate that in the dough, i would end up with very airy bread.

Not really.

dcarch

A crazy idea I had which didn't work.

Have you heard of Pop Rock candy? It's a candy make with compressed CO2 gas. When you put one in your mouth, the candy will go "POP' "POP" "Pop" in your mouth.

I thought if I incorporate that in the dough, i would end up with very airy bread.

Not really.

dcarch

Yep. At best, you'd get a colorful suikerbrood. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.