• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Abraham Lincoln in the Kitchen," a new book

andiesenji

I thought for sure that before now someone would have posted about this book: Abraham Lincoln in the Kitchen, published February 4, 2014, but since no one else has, I am posting this link to an article.

Plus this link to Amazon - (Moderator, please change it to a direct link, which I can't figure out how to do.)

I got it for my Kindle but am so impressed that I have now ordered it in physical form.

Personally I do not understand the rather snotty complaint by one person who gave it a one-star review. In my opinion it doesn't smack of plagiarism - I have the earlier book to which the reviewer referred - I find the writing in this book is for people who like to read and never "talks down" to the reader, which I find annoying in other books with a similar context.

The author uses a chatty discussion technique that, as one reviewer notes, reads like an old friend who has found something interesting and wishes to share it and I find this charming as well as informative.

Whether or not you are a fan of President Lincoln, this is a good book for an insight into a part of his life that has not really been explored prior to this book. Certainly the earlier book did not reference most of these factual incidents in Lincoln's life.

Edited by Mjx
Added direct link, per member request. (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This sounds interesting, Andie. I have a number of books about American food that discuss the various foods eaten from the times of the Pilgrims to the advent of refrigeration. This sounds like a good one to investigate.

Wow, excellent, tip, thank you! Lincoln was my childhood hero, and I sustain a real fascination for him. I'd never heard of these two books and I'm excited to read them. Since you've read both, do you have any comparison notes?

What's up with Mary Lincoln's almond cake? That sounds very interesting . . .

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 1 year later...

I bought and read this book -- and it's terrific!  I am wondering anyone has any other recommendations for culinary history books . . . 

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 1 month later...

just finishing this that I borrowed through my local library and InterLibrary Loan (ILL).  Lindacakes will look through my notebooks for some of the culinary history books I liked (so speaks the reference librarian).

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites