• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low Divide (aka Smart Divide) Sinks -- best of both worlds?

teapot

We are building a cabin this summer and I'm searching for a sink. I heard about the Kohler 'smart divide' sink and am hoping there are those on this site familiar with it -- or are, at least, willing to think through this decision with me.

Smart divide sinks are deep double sinks that are separated by a 4-5 in divider. The idea of the low divider is that it won't interfere with pot handles and can more readily accommodate large pans. It's marketed as a "best of both worlds."

At home I have a Franke Orca sink -- it's a single sink but has a ledge midway up on which you can rest a removable s/s grid. I use that grid constantly - I like to wash as I go and even though I have a dishwasher, I like being able to set my washed knives, etc onto that rack for drying.

Anyway -- my experience with the Orca confirms that I'm a double-sink gal at heart. I think it especially makes sense for a cabin (where I'm not likely to use big stock pots, etc). The smart divide sink intrigues -- is it worth the extra money?

And a related question -- we are considering an apron-front sink. While I like the look, it seems needlessly expensive for our cabin. But then my husband noted that since the sink is closer to you (by 4" or so) you aren't leaning forward, which makes it easier on your back. Is this true? Would love to hear from others who have experience with this.

micro_smartdiv_hero_741x381.jpg

Another strategy; put in a really large single sink and use a plastic tub when you want a separate bath of, say, soapy water? I can't see the point of forever and irreversibly making a sink into two small ones when it is easy to have a forever large sink that it is easy to wash really large items in,that can also be home to a second volulme of liquid when wanted. Why ruin a sink for big stuff for no net gain?

photo(4).JPG

• Like 3