• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Xiao Long Bao Experiment

Dejah

I found the recipe and post from rarerollingobject too late for my experiment this past weekend. I will refer to her the next session.

This was my first attempt while my s-i-l was out for the weekend. He's a big Scottish lad who loves dim sum. While my daughter is away on a course, he wanted to try his hand on these dumplings and surprise her when she gets home this weekend.

The filling and gelatin were spot on. The wrappers definitely need thinning out. Not too shabby for a first attempt. We ate many of these taste testing, so it ended up being an all day lunch or supper... :laugh:

If anyone has a great recipe for the wrappers or tried and true technique, please share!

Gelatin was made from 2 skin-on pork hocks, the bone and skin from a fresh pork picnic, big nob of ginger, scallions, and 1 pkg of unflavoured gelatin to 4 cups stock.

Gelatin0373.jpg

Filling was ground pork, shrimp, scallions, white pepper, Chinese cooking wine, grated ginger, salt, and soy sauce. We incorporated small bits of gelatin in the meat as well as adding a small cube on top before pleating and closing the wrapper.

XiaoLongBaoFilling0385.jpg

The baos got smaller and pleats were better as the experiment progressed

RawXiaoLongBao0387.jpg

TRayXiaoLongBaos0381.jpg

There was a fair bit of soup in the baos, but the wrapper needs to be thinner. We didn't eat many of the wrappers, but the meat and soup were great! The granddogs enjoyed some of the wrappers. :biggrin:

XiaoLongBaoSoup0398.jpg

XLBMeat&Broth0400.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com