• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using an ice cream base for something else

aperture

I see many recipes for ice creams that look very interesting. Unfortunately I don't have an ice cream maker and have been spending too much money in the kitchen recently so I won't have an ice cream maker for a while. My question is therefore: is there anything else I can do with the recipes for ice cream? Modify them to make custard perhaps? Or maybe hack my way around not having an actual ice cream machine?

Thanks!

In terms of getting a machine, I got mine years ago at a big box retailer sometime in the Fall during a clearance sale of summer items. It's just a simple type that uses ice, but has an electric motor. I see them almost every Fall at the hardware store, Target, etc. for about $20-$25. So, it doesn't have to cost a lot....

That said, you can sort of fake it by putting the base in the freezer and pulling it out and scraping the container every half hour. This was how it was done a couple hundred years ago. You will have larger crystal development, but, you can call it a granita.

Another option would be to hunt down some liquid nitrogen and use a stand mixer. You'll have great ice cream in seconds. That said, before handling LN2, you should read THIS primer on safety. Essentially, have plenty of ventilation (like having a window or door wide open) and use a properly vented container to transport the LN2.

The standard base recipe is close to custard, but has a lot more cream/milk and I don't think it will set up. If you want a custard, just use a real pot de creme formula.

I see many recipes for ice creams that look very interesting. Unfortunately I don't have an ice cream maker and have been spending too much money in the kitchen recently so I won't have an ice cream maker for a while. My question is therefore: is there anything else I can do with the recipes for ice cream? Modify them to make custard perhaps? Or maybe hack my way around not having an actual ice cream machine?

Thanks!

David Lebovitz offers this suggestion http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/ which I have used with acceptable results.

In addition, the good folks at kitchen.com offer these options: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-ice-cream-without-an-ice-cream-machine-171060

And finally, though there are more, here's a couple from the Brown-Eyed Baker: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/06/21/how-to-make-homemade-ice-cream-without-an-ice-cream-maker/

You may also Google "How to make ice cream without an ice cream machine" and find plenty more options.

... Shel

Thanks!

Do you have a pair of large metal bowls that nest one into the other? You can make Helado de Paila with this plus a wooden spoon and some ice…. Pack the larger of the two bowls with ice and a bit of salt, then nest the smaller of the two into it, allow it to chill down, and give the smaller bowl a spin. Pour your base into this and keep spinning and scraping down the sides with the spoon, until you've got ice-cream. You get quite a fine texture this way, although it won't be as stiff as what's made in the machines (but you can always pack it into the freezer to firm it up.)

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I recently had a treat called snow ice at a Vietnamese coffee shop. Apparently a base of milk and flavor with some stabilizers is frozen into a block then used in a shave-ice machine. The end product has an interesting appearance and texture. Of course, you'd have to own a shave-ice machine.... (they aren't hard to find and can be gotten for about $40, I love mine)

I have not been able to find a formula for snow-ice yet.