• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger reduction for use in beverages

frigidlizard

I'm not convinced my problem is with poor extraction ... it might just be the raw ginger flavor itself. You've gotten full ginger flavors just by grating raw ginger and infusing?

If it's just an extraction issue I start by blending.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

I think you have to factor in the state/condition/age of your ginger. If I want to pickle my own for  "sushi ginger"I'll hope to get some young thin skinned tender stuff that is more flavor than bite. As it ages it gets woodier and stringier, the bite predominates.  https://www.google.com/search?q=young+ginger+for+pickling&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS755US755&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNnM7ag-_YAhUJ8WMKHfNCC18Q_AUIDCgD&biw=1246&bih=596#imgrc=sLtTP7sPPHdl_M:

As my local Chinese mega-mart it is in the reridgerated section rather than in open bins.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I'm not convinced my problem is with poor extraction ... it might just be the raw ginger flavor itself. You've gotten full ginger flavors just by grating raw ginger and infusing?

If it's just an extraction issue I start by blending.

That's what I'm saying by candying the ginger. Raw ginger like raw garlic is just too 'hot' If you don't want to go through the trouble of candying the ginger I would at least triple blanch in cold water to get rid of the heat . 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. This will be helpful with the next round of experiments. 

I'm liking the flavor of the combined roasted and raw ginger, but think that juicing is probably the best way to extract the flavor, and it seems the simplest way to do that (if you're not concerned with clarity) is to pulverize the ginger in water or syrup in a blender, and then strain through a superbag. I'll let you know how that works out.

In the mean time, I've just been adding flavor to my first batch by infusing more ginger in various ways. It's starting to taste good ... but this version won't get repeated.

Notes from the underbelly