• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYTimes Articles on Food, Drink, Culinary Culture 2013–

rotuts

May I ask, what is a "smash burger" I have only had experience of UK burgers and they are just too hideous to mention.

Smash burgers are made by placing patties on a very hot griddle (or very wide pan) and then smashing them super-thin with a large, heavy spatula. They're usually served with two patties per bun. The goal is a very thin burger with lots and lots of brown crispy crust (and almost nothing else). Kenji wrote a great Serious Eats article on making smash burgers at home. It's a delicious style of burger.

Smash burgers are made by placing patties on a very hot griddle (or very wide pan) and then smashing them super-thin with a large, heavy spatula. They're usually served with two patties per bun. The goal is a very thin burger with lots and lots of brown crispy crust (and almost nothing else). Kenji wrote a great Serious Eats article on making smash burgers at home. It's a delicious style of burger.

I prefer this type of burger over any other type. My train of thought is that if i want juicy beef, i would rather have a juicy sirloin steak over a juicy sirloin burger. I also dont like eating a beef ball on "pink dough" So i'll take a double patty ground chuck smash burger please...dont forget the pickles.

• Like 1

There is a restaurant in Salina Kansas that is around 80 (+) years old that makes sliders exclusively.  They put some diced onions on the grill, toss a small meatball on top, smash it quite flat, poke holes in it with the back end of the spatula and cook it. They sell them by the bagful.  About 10 years ago a new owner bought the place and replaced the grill.  He had so many complaints that they had to go to the dump, find the old grill and re-install it. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Thank you. I forwarded a link to someone who will enjoy it immensely and added it to my "must do" list. Composed salads seem to slip off the radar screen so this reminder is very welcome.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/25/technology/in-busy-silicon-valley-protein-powder-is-in-demand.html?ref=business&_r=0

:wacko:

I have an idea.  its been patented and CopyRighted, sorry   :raz:

Central HyperAl.  you have to look it up. Why waste all that time and energy swallowing  ?

get a couple of Moguls together, a few bucks.  start a 'bottling plant' somewhere central in The Valley.

Mt View ?

make up the stuff,  

the company would be named TechAl.  it would deliver the bottles to subscribers twice a day on wind or solar powered Tricyles

you know, the kind Seniors ride ?

and change out the bottles.

I get 50 %, eG gets 25 %  and the Moguls get 25 %.

At the IPO, seasoned eG' vets  would get first crack at the IPO.

cash out at one year and one day after the IPO.

:biggrin:

and no, its still a bit early for the M.R.

things are chilling down nicely though  ....

Edited by rotuts (log)

two quotes from the article :

"Other coders are customizing the meal replacements to social occasions "

with PadThai,  some coder added peanut butter to the 'drink' :  "That was really thoughtful, that you really tailored the Soylent experience to the food "  [ed:  :wacko: ]

"The time wasted eating is, in Silicon Valley parlance a 'pain point' "

Tesla's founder :  " If there was a way that I couldn't eat so I could work more, I would not eat "

Nuts these people are ?

:huh:

and its not April Fool's day, either.

These are the people developing our future communications. Can control and assimilation be far behind? :rolleyes:

Gah.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

interesting points.

my sadness is that 'The Drive' for what ever moves people in this direction misses the point that indeed

a single life is very very short.

meals, as we mostly know here, have very little to do with calories nor nutrition.

they have to do with a pause in the day's life, and a sharing.

everybody here 'shares' and everybody here 'pauses'  

does not have to be a 3 hour meal with an extended family.

its possible to pause and share even if your meal is just for you.

• Like 3

I was joking about the control and assimilation bit. I agree with you that a life so driven toward that 'work' is out of balance. It sounds dreary to me, but I've known other people who loved their work to the exclusion of all else. I've also known people who considered food to be mere fuel. I've rarely eaten with them.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

For some years I worked in software development. Two of our most accomplished coders were autistic. Even the briefest of social interactions left them quite obviously in distress. Any way to meet their nutritional needs that avoided forcing them to interact with others could only be seen as compassionate. Not all coders are autistic and not all autistic people will thrive on this kind of nutrition but I cannot help but think it is an option for some.

Otherwise I think this kind of nutrition is like any restrictive diet -- sustainable for only so long.

And one cannot help but shudder to think of those people who, like Roger Ebert before he died, found this type of nutrition was the only option, now learn that there are those who would actually choose to do this.

As for me when I recall the happiest times in my life they involve loving relatives, close friends, and food enjoyed leisurely.

To each their own.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Some people just don't care about food. Meals are an interruption and take them away from what they want to be doing.It is nice that they have a way to get all their necessary nutrients without wasting any time doing it. I am happy for them, but much much happier that I am not now and never have been one of them.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Right. I know a few people (not Silicon Valley types, either) for whom eating is basically just taking in calories along with, hopefully, some nutrition.

After a few meals out with these types, I just stopped going out to eat with them - it was no fun.

You know, ordering the same, exact thing every time - and then eating it quickly and with as little pleasure as possible.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 weeks later...

There's a relatively new WF near me, and I've visited the store several times in the past couple of months after not being in a WF for more than a year.  I was dismayed to see how much conventional produce was in the store.  The cherries I bought were an abomination ... priced well but of very low quality.

... Shel

"Food" is a very competitive business.

WF seems to be in 'decline' based on competition.

would be interesting to see what their new "lower cost" "smaller footprint" chain is like:

guess they are calling it "365"

WF was fantastic at the outset. I've had the good fortune to experience them in the original (Co-op) Guadalupe and the first new store on Lamar Ave when I lived in Austin. They've gone a bit downhill/sideways since and while a forerunner, there's plenty of competition now in the(ier) space.

I quit shopping there because of the granola elitism that has developed- their original healthy cost conscious customer base co-opted by the upper-middle class seeking to flaunt their "healthy" consumption and workout outfits. Oh look how much better and healthier and wealthier than you I am... I shop at Whole Foods everyday.

And I grew tired of being treated indifferently or outright rudely by their head-to-toe tattooed and pierced checkout staff at the register here in San Antonio. 

Lost their way they have. Spend my money elsewhere I will.

• Like 2

they also bought up and then destroyed in my area  " Bread and Circus " a long time ago

B&C had a complete isle each side of bulk goods.  organic or not.

now WF has far less then a 10th of that

far less.

that being said  a million years before WF

there was the CO-OP   

in the bay area

they had even more 'Bulk"

this is why companies should stop hiring 23 year old MBA's.

those MBA types actually don't have a clue about the vertical lines on their PowerPoint presentations.

good / better / best - as related to organic farming?  seriously? 

as relates to a state of corporate citizenship, okay.

recycling the employee's Coke cans has zipcommanadazilch to do with organically growing your crop.

it always come downs to profit :

makin'n it  ?   most excellent   

Not ?   better fiddle and faddle

what you sell  makes no matter if you are  making a profit.

And I grew tired of being treated indifferently or outright rudely by their head-to-toe tattooed and pierced checkout staff at the register here in San Antonio. 

Wow, and I thought that was just a New York thing.