• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYTimes Articles on Food, Drink, Culinary Culture 2013–

rotuts

Interesting indeed!

From the Bloomberg article @KennethT linked to above:

There are dozens of other companies, including Blue Apron, delivering meal kits to consumers homes. The Times chose Chef’d partly because it had similar relationships with other publishers. 

I took a look at the Chef'd site and was amazed at the number of chefs or other partners they are working with.

Early on in the article:

“Our audience spends a lot of time cooking at home,” said Alice Ting, vice president of brand development, licensing and syndication for the Times.

A bit later down the page:

“These meal kits we’re offering are just another tool to help our users become more comfortable in the kitchen,” said Amanda Rottier, product director of NYT Cooking, which launched in September 2014.

A bit of a conflict there in assessing the target audience or is this just poor article writing? Are they already cooking a lot at home (and therefore presumably already comfortable in the kitchen) or are they in need of 'help' in that department?

• Like 1

Tonight I tried Crisp Potato and Poblano Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw.  Minus apple, of course, as explained in my rant above.  Also minus cilantro, as my cilantro allotment did not seem to make it in the box that I could find.  I somewhat made up for the missing cilantro with a jar of salsa on the side.  I wonder if some favored soul got two packets of cilantro?

All in all, not bad.  The stated time was 40 minutes, and that's about what it took.  The peppers, onions, and potatoes were roasted on the same sheet pan, as called for.  I found that by the time the potatoes were done to my liking the onions were burnt and the peppers were overdone.  When I make the second half (remember each meal is supposed to serve two) I'll see about pulling the peppers and onions at the time I turn the potatoes.  That should work out about right.  Or maybe starting the potatoes first.

Also as stated above I would have been much happier if the cabbage had come whole, since the recipe directs to slice it thinly.  Instead the cabbage came poorly pre-sliced, too thick, and turning gray.

I'm still thinking this is not worth sixty eight dollars per week.  Though I haven't been able to get to the store, and it is food.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Seems to me that the quality assurance aspect is severely lacking, JoNorvelleWalker. Missing ingredients, poor instructions (recipes should be VERY thoroughly pre-tested in my humble opinion when it comes to this type of enterprise - and tested with a variety of client circumstances in mind as well - that is their business!), poor quality ingredients (at least some), and even ingredients that don't quite match the recipe instructions (i.e. the cabbage slicing issue). I definitely agree what you are receiving is not worth any money, much less $68/week, even if you did make some sort of meal out of it.

It may be food (and I thank you for taking one for the gipper here by trying it out and posting your results) but it doesn't sound reliable and/or up to what was promised/what your expectations were, and if it is all you have in the house to eat, while I understand you making and eating it regardless, maybe a bit of pantry stock-up is warranted very soon - at least as soon as you send a 'no thanks, no more and this is why not' message to The Purple Carrot people - so you don't get caught again having to eat something that is less than desirable simply because you can't get to the store for some period of time.

• Like 2

Tonight was Chinese Broccoli and Tofu with Peanut Sauce.  My result actually looked better than the picture.  I followed their directions, mostly.  I did not use the supplied brown rice.  For one thing I do not like brown rice, for another I know I can't reproducibly cook it properly in a pot.  I went with haiga rice cooked in the Zojirushi.  That way I knew no matter how badly I messed up the recipe at least I'd have a decent go of rice for dinner.

Nor did I use the supplied soy sauce.  It came in a little plastic packet.  Half is used at one point in the recipe and half at another.  This just seemed like a recipe for spilling soy sauce all over me.

I must lead a sheltered life.  I've never cooked tofu before.  Indeed, I can't recall ever seeing it for sale.  Same for the Chinese broccoli.  But they came together quite well and I enjoyed the end result.  Even if the dish was over oily and a bit too salty.  I did not measure the oil so I do not blame thepurplecarrot for this at all.  The effort was overly complicated because I don't have a wok, nor skillet large enough.

I infer this dish is Indonesian but I would have loved more information about its provenance.

And I easily finished the entire go of rice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deryn said:

Sounds more 'Chinese-inspired' to me. I wonder what would have made it specifically Indonesian.

The sambal oelek, mixed in and on the side.

• Like 1

I revisited the Crisp Potato and Poblano Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw.  This time I chopped the onion half moons much thicker, and nothing burned.  I added leftover sliced rib steak and a plentitude of sour cream, which made the dish somewhat less vegan.  Though I still missed the cilantro.  Oh, and I also added a mess of RG moro beans.  (Which while checking the spelling just now I notice are out of stock...sad.)

The steak was a nice enough addition, though superfluous.  The beans and sour cream added a lot.  I again wish the cabbage had been sliced properly.

I ate everything.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Deryn said:

Sounds more 'Chinese-inspired' to me. I wonder what would have made it specifically Indonesian.

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The sambal oelek, mixed in and on the side.

Peanut sauce isn't particularly "Chinese" either. Sounds SE Asian to me.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I can tell you if I had not tried the service and been extremely disappointed I might be lured in by the current offerings!  

Click

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Most of those DO look good, Anna.

Maybe one could use them to inspire one's own weekly menus since I am sure you know how to cook all those (or can find out easily). If not this week, then just collect the ideas till you can or do want to make them.

I suspect that the bahn mi roll may not be very 'authentic' anyway - sourdough? And how hard can steak frites be, roasted tomatoes included? And bearnaise is not really complicated. The basa catfish .. well .. I might be a bit more worried (than I would about the steak) about its ability to survive delivery plus x number of days till 'dinnertime' since it has to have been 'previously frozen' to make its journey from the Mekong delta. I would rather make that dish with another white fish anyway (not tilapia either) I think. I know you don't need encouraging not to order again, but just thought perhaps I would mention a few things that hit me when I looked at the individual dishes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Deryn said:

Most of those DO look good, Anna.

Maybe one could use them to inspire one's own weekly menus since I am sure you know how to cook all those (or can find out easily). If not this week, then just collect the ideas till you can or do want to make them.

I suspect that the bahn mi roll may not be very 'authentic' anyway - sourdough? And how hard can steak frites be, roasted tomatoes included? And bearnaise is not really complicated. The basa catfish .. well .. I might be a bit more worried (than I would about the steak) about its ability to survive delivery plus x number of days till 'dinnertime' since it has to have been 'previously frozen' to make its journey from the Mekong delta. I would rather make that dish with another white fish anyway (not tilapia either) I think. I know you don't need encouraging not to order again, but just thought perhaps I would mention a few things that hit me when I looked at the individual dishes.

Thank you for your suggestions. None exceed my ability but any one could easily exceed my capability on any given day!  This service appeals on many levels when you find yourself battling health, accessability (like @JoNorvelleWalker) or other issues.  I guess the point I was really trying to make was that their marketing skills are impressive if I can still be even slightly tempted by their offerings.   The triumph of hope over experience! 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I agree completely. Their marketing department deserves kudos. And the menu ideas are good and appealing for the most part. But, it seems their quality assurance issues have and will cause them problems - and customers who could really benefit from a service like this may not get value for money or will be disappointed. I wish you and JoNorvelleWalker could order from these companies with confidence. That is why I keep urging people to send feedback, good and bad. If you are once bitten and twice shy, no one benefits. I know they are in business to make money so they will take shortcuts or make financial decisions that you or I may not take/make if we were planning, shopping, prepping and cooking for ourselves entirely - but if they have a product to deliver, it should be true to the expectations they created for that product, as close to 100% of the time as they can make it.

For some, like you and JoNorvelle perhaps, this is a 'semi-convenience' product that allows you to keep your independence and still retain some joy in cooking with bit a less effort/work on your part. I applaud the concept. I just hate to see you not get what you thought you had paid for, for this product to lure anyone in and not deliver exactly what the words and pictures purported was going to be delivered.

• Like 1

I wonder if others have had issues with the Purple Carrot, and someone is seeing writing on the wall?

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2016/05/mark-bittman-departs-vegan-meal-kit-startup-purple-carrot

@JoNorvelleWalker, if you haven't, you really need to tell them the tale of the mushy apple!

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

54 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

I wonder if others have had issues with the Purple Carrot, and someone is seeing writing on the wall?

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2016/05/mark-bittman-departs-vegan-meal-kit-startup-purple-carrot

@JoNorvelleWalker, if you haven't, you really need to tell them the tale of the mushy apple!

I must say that hearing Mark has left the Purple Carrot came as quite a shock.   Suspect idealism ran up against realism.    

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:45 AM, Deryn said:
7 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Wow.  That's some news.

Probably my final meal from The Purple Carrot...

SpinachRisotto05152016

"Spinach Risotto Topped with Spiced Chickpea Crumble"

I cheated and added a dusting of parmesan and some additional olive oil after plating.  Also a splash of balsamic vinegar at the table.  Not bad at all even if the chickpea crumble is not something I will likely do again any time soon.

Still I would love to know more about why Bittman left.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was not impressed, but in my present situation I cannot have a charcoal grill.  So maybe I am just old and bitter.

• Like 1

I just chalk it up to the category I call "Recipes with Lobster." In that dump go all recipes with truffles, more than a pint of whipping cream or anything using ramps, which don't live in these parts. I grew up on the upper west side and I never once saw an outdoor grill until I moved to New Mexico for college.

Okay I will admit to a high level of crankiness when it comes to the Times food section. I used to enjoy it, but these days I find it out to lunch most weeks. Am I deluded or are there fewer useful recipes? Where's Dexter Wells when you need him? Please don't tell me he's closed his bedroom door and plays video games all day. A column by Dexter would be most appreciated! In the interest of full disclosure, our (very basic) Weber gas grill succumbed to old age and we have been without a grill for two years. The prices are so scary! Plus we recently had to choose between a lobster and a replacement for our leaky roof. Hence the crankiness. High five, Jo!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

as noted earlier  NYTimes is starting a Meals Kits program and has a 4 page ad in today's NYTimes Cooking :

the 4 page newspaper ad does not come up on the Times web site  but this give  you an idea

meal kits n y times

"""     See a recipe in our pages you'd like to master ?  """"

I think this is interesting.   certainly the NYTimes has a huge archive of Rx's,  and still some sort of prestige its hoping to

harness  w partners that to the actual work of preparing the ingredients for distribution.

there is a thread on meal kits already.

its going to be interesting for me at least to follow the NYTimes efforts , as they understand the Print NYTimes at some point will be

an historical curiosity.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Their new web site has the advert as a banner across the top, and I've followed the link to check it out. It does look interesting.  It's expensive, of course, but that's me being a tightwad, and expense is a relative thing. For instance, 2 meals for 2 people in my test scenario came out to $61: $29 for oven-roasted chicken shawarma and $32 for glazed salmon.  The photos, of course, look wonderful.  I'm pretty sure I could do either of those for less money, but I'm pretty sure either would cost more at a restaurant around here.  I may try it; if so, I'll post back here.  I hope someone tries it out and reports here!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I definitely won't be trying it!

Summer pasta with zucchini, 2 servings, $29.00! o.O

Chopped herb salad with farro, 2 servings, $27.00! :o

The old Gray Lady is dying — I doubt this will save her.

If meal kits do become crazy popular, you can bet that grocery stores will take advantage of the trend (in some ways they already have) without the added costs of shipping, etc. 

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!