• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYTimes Articles on Food, Drink, Culinary Culture 2013–

rotuts

NYTimes Wed food had a fine article by JP :

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/dining/jacques-pepin-food-memories.html?ref=dining&_r=0

a similar article was in the WSJ on 18 Sept.  that issues ' Mansion ' section was called " The Global Chef at Home "

Im not ref. it as I assume its behind a PayWall

:sad:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

NYTimes Wed food had a fine article by JP :

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/dining/jacques-pepin-food-memories.html?ref=dining&_r=0

a similar article was in the WSJ on 18 Sept.  that issues ' Mansion ' section was called " The Global Chef at Home "

Im not ref. it as I assume its behind a PayWall

:sad:

Thank you for posting this link.  I am glad that Jacques made his life in food but suspect he would have succeeded in many other fields had he taken a different road. His generous spirit is pervasive in everything he does. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

While things were a bit slow at work tonight I was looking at this article.  My coworker interrupted to inform me that the NY Times had an article on roasted cauliflower.  I don't even care for cauliflower.

Though I confess I have never tried roasted cauliflower.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Im a ditto on the above.

the Lottery seems to be blooming , so Ill get a ticket and check the local price of the Cauli.

looks like I might need to win Big to start roasting Cali.

Roasted,  it is a different veg.

Cut florettes in half. place on an oiled sheet, bake at 350 or so for about 30 min till soft and browned.

I also like a very nice cauli gratin with onion, bacon, dijon and cheddar.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

Ina Garten's recipe for cauliflower au gratin might be the most delicious, decadent way to eat cauliflower,  see link below.  Although 99.99% of the time we eat it roasted with some Penzey's Greek seasoning & olive oil. Cut up the florets, massage with oil and a bit of seasoning, then 425F convection roast for 20-30 minutes.  I can eat a whole head by myself.  O.o

Ina Garten's cauliflower au gratin recipe

Edited by kbjesq
Fix typo (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

3 weeks ago in this middle of nowhere place (far eastern Canada), rather sad looking heads of cauliflower were priced at $7.99. Last week I bought 2 (albeit slightly smaller, but fresh looking) heads for $5.00. When I enquired about why this sudden change in price when the news was still reporting that there was just no cauliflower to be had due to weather conditions in growing regions (presumably in California), I was told that cauliflower was growing fine now but that there had been a gap in supply till the new heads had matured enough to go to market. One can only hope there won't be too many more of those 'gaps' and the price will stay reasonable (at least as reasonable as it can be considering that the Can $ is now bottoming out against the US $ and that obviously WILL affect prices). 

Hopefully, the prices will go down again.  I was thinking of all you folks in Canada last night, when I bought cauliflower for $2.49/head, and was so very grateful for that price!  For another angle on the pricing issue, I will share this article which I recently read...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-13/canadians-panic-food-prices-soar-collapsing-currency  

...seems to shed a little more light on grocery prices in Canada.  It would appear that the soaring prices are not entirely due to poor growing conditions.   =+(     Might be cheaper to buy a dairy cow and a few layers (chickens), if the milk and egg prices are really as high as what is shown!   Yikes!

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Nunavut (and all of the northern areas of Canada) have always had sky-high prices (compared to the rest of Canada, much less to the States), not to mention limited availability for everything, including food. Relative to the south, their prices are exorbitant but that is not a new phenomena. I lived in the Yukon for many years and also spent a winter on Baffin Island (Iqualuit, used to be called Frobisher Bay, in the Northwest Territories, now called Nunavut) and, aside from the expense for food (often 10 times the price of that in more southern cities even in those days because of shipping costs - in many places it must be flown in or only comes in during the summer on boats), the freshness of produce, eggs and milk for instance is not likely to be up to the standards most of us have down south.

But, yes, food in general is often much more expensive in Canada, even if grown/raised/processed in Canada, and even when the $ is not so lousy. My spoiled pooch eats a chicken a day. In NC I pay about $5 for that per day. Here I pay almost $13 a day. I have considered getting chickens to keep in my back yard, but I am afraid, unless I buy black ones, I may never be able to find them in the snow.

But, fear not, our 2 month growing season is only 6 months away now! :)

• Like 4

With Canadian veggies prices so high at the moment, it has made me rethink my approach to them.  I'm going to use ALL of their parts as much as possible.  So, the kale ribs were cooked separately and added back into the recipe which called for the leaves only.  All edible veggie scraps go into the freezer for veggie stock...my compost can work away on what it's got.  Using celery leaves for salads.  Chinese Napa cabbage is used to stretch the more expensive lettuce.  Frozen veggies can be used in slow braises and soups for that matter.  $6 for a celery bunch and $11 for cauliflower it a little much.  Bought the celery 'cause I still have garden apples to use up with local walnuts and said expensive celery for Waldorf Salad.

Anyone else have ideas for utilizing fresh veggies to the max?

• Like 1

You can use peels of root vegetables to make a kinpira- a Japanese dish. Scrub your veg, and and retain your peels if you want to add the "meat" of the veggies to stews, etc. thinly julienne the peels, and stir-fry with garlic, sesame oil, chili flakes, sesame seeds and a sprinkling of sugar, salt, and mirin if you have it. 

All greens can can be blanched and dressed nicely with salt, garlic, and an oil of your choice. 

• Like 3

Yesterday, January 21, I was surprised to see big healthy cauliflowers available in the Peterborough FreshCo for about $3.49 (failing memories of senior DH and me).  Did not buy one.  Probably should have...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Today, cauliflower was 2 for $5.00.  What the.....

Everyone, I mean everyone had at least one in their carts. Even people who hate cauliflower probably grabbed one 'cause who can pass up a deal like that!

I didn't look at the price of celery seeing I still have most of the one I paid $6 for last week.

• Like 2

I love cauliflower and the like but current prices here are just stupid... $4.99...no thanks!!!!!

"To everything there is a season" and all that.......

Still harvesting some spinach and kale from the garden here....today's high was about 25 degrees.

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!