• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foam tape for sous vide cooking

seabream

I am looking to buy foam tape to prevent leaks when inserting the thermocouple probe in a sous vide bag. I found the following options:

Fusion chef - http://fusionchefsousvide.com/shop/accessories/adhesive-sealing-tape.html#

13 feet

$79

Polyscience - https://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide.php

3 feet

$24

JB Prince - http://www.jbprince.com/utensils/adhesive-tape-for-sous-vide.asp#jbp_full_desc

7 feet

$5.90

The JB Prince is such a good deal that I'm suspicious about it :) Has anyone tried their product? Is it food safe? Does it seal well?

Any other recommendations for a site I should consider?

Would love to hear about what solutions are being used by fellow eGulleters.

I just bought 2 rolls from JB Prince...I'll be trying it soon.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Yes.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Yeah, closed-cell foam tape.

Can you do this if you use the water displacement method?

I think so.

My experience with two brands of foam tapes I have been able to buy here (Spain) are not very good, in both cases because they do not stick properly to the bag and may fall in the worse moment. So whenever I use it I double bag, double foam, and appy glue. That is, vacuum bag once, paste piece of foam, vacuum bag again (which sustains the first piece in place), apply glue on top of where the first foam is, and add a new piece of foam of the same size as the first one.

I've been told that a workaround is applying a blob of silicone (the one applied with caulking guns), reinforce it with some waterproof tape, and wait until it hardens, but never tried.

• Like 1

You can use it with the water displacement method, but I don't think it's needed. If you're using zip locs, you can insert the probe through the zip loc opening, and use a rack to make sure the top of the opening is not submerged.

I am wondering if regular weather stripping foam tape from a hardware store could be used. I see that's what they use in Modernist Cuisine at Home, but I also see some people in various online sties with strong opinions about it not being food safe. Any opinions on either side here at eGullet?