• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset Lid Wanted

Shel_B

Back around 1980, I purchased a Le Creuset 4.5 quart oven, the bottom of which is stamped with the number 24. A number of years ago the lid dropped and broke, and I put the pot away thinking that, one day, I'd try to get a replacement lid for it. When I did contact Le Creuset they told me that the model I had was discontinued and that there were no replacement lids available. Again, I put the pot away and then purchased new pot.

I am now ready to start my quest for a lid for this old workhorse. I've checked eBay a few times, and thus far the lids have been either in poor shape or come with the pot, which, of course, is not needed.

My pot is white, but I don't care what the lid color is, only that the lid be in reasonably good condition. The lid, as far as I've been able to determine, should have the number 24 cast into the underside. Does anyone have this lid that they'd like to sell? Or know where I might get one?

... Shel

eBay is your best bet. Or try Cookin' , the second-hand culinary shop in SF on Divisadero (aren't you in the Bay Area?)

I'm heading into the city tomorrow or Wednesday, so maybe I'll have time to check Cookin' - Thanks!

I plan to continue searching eBay as well.

... Shel

Get a big silicone lid. They work great on LC dutch ovens. Cost about $10.

If only it was that easy.

I'd say the best bet is to buy the same pot and lid used on ebay. Seriously, how often do you see LC lids for sale? From 35 years old pots?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'd say the best bet is to buy the same pot and lid used on ebay. Seriously, how often do you see LC lids for sale? From 35 years old pots?

Frequently. Thus far the good ones have not been in the size I need, and if I want to settle for something less-than-perfect, such as one with a chip, or that has some other flaw, there are plenty. And I will settle for one that's imperfect, depending on where and what the imperfection is. Yesterday there was a really nice white one (the color that I'd prefer) that I just missed bidding on.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

Frequently. Thus far the good ones have not been in the size I need, and if I want to settle for something less-than-perfect, such as one with a chip, or that has some other flaw, there are plenty. And I will settle for one that's imperfect, depending on where and what the imperfection is. Yesterday there was a really nice white one (the color that I'd prefer) that I just missed bidding on.

Well, I guess you've answered your question then.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It is just that easy. The only downside is that the silicone lid will allow some steam to escape, but if you put parchment paper on top of the braise this is minimized. I use this method whenever I braise in the BSO, which can hold the pot but not the lid.

• Like 2

Can you post the dimensions of the lid?

I have a few "orphan" lids - for Descoware, Dru, Copco, Prizer, Chasseur - not sure if there is a LC in there, I know there is a Staub - but I know it wouldn't fit because the ends of the old ones are much rounder than the LC.

Also check on ETSY because I recently saw a lid for the LC terrine mold - which was gone within a couple of days. Etsy is hot right now and things move rapidly and there are quite a few THRIFT stores that sell via that service and the "odd" items are usually priced reasonably.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a few "orphan" lids - for Descoware, Dru, Copco, Prizer, Chasseur - not sure if there is a LC in there, I know there is a Staub - but I know it wouldn't fit because the ends of the old ones are much rounder than the LC.

Also check on ETSY because I recently saw a lid for the LC terrine mold - which was gone within a couple of days. Etsy is hot right now and things move rapidly and there are quite a few THRIFT stores that sell via that service and the "odd" items are usually priced reasonably.

It's 24cm ... Didn't see anything when I last checked Etsy. Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

... Shel

I would go to an Asian store and get a glass cover.

Glass covers are easy to find (and thanks for posting the suggestion), but I want an original type lid. I'm in no hurry to get just what I want.

... Shel

It's 24cm ... Didn't see anything when I last checked Etsy. Thanks for looking!

What is the width measurement of the pot - inside measurement at the rim where the rim on the lid must fit inside.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What is the width measurement of the pot - inside measurement at the rim where the rim on the lid must fit inside.

24cm - when I measured with a tape it showed just a scosh less than 9.5 inches, i.e., 24cm

... Shel

24cm - when I measured with a tape it showed just a scosh less than 9.5 inches, i.e., 24cm

I'm so sorry. I managed to read "oven" in your first post as "oval" - silly me.

I found this one on ebay.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

I found a big old cast iron Dutch oven at a yard sale several years ago. It was CHEAP, relatively clean, but had no lid or handle (bale??). It's all CI (no enamel surfaces) cleaned up nicely and reseasoned. I discovered a glass lid from a casserole I already had fit perfectly. I would measure diameter of pot and head to a thrift store!?! I see lots of LIDS with no pot/casserole. WOuld even buy a set and just give the container back!?!

• 2 weeks later...