• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with beer

Plantes Vertes

three ideas immediately come to mind...

beer batter fish - lager?

welsh rarebit - ale

beef in Guinness - stout!

• Like 2

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

i would certainly. Also theres a great recipe online that uses chocolate stout in various desserts :)

• Like 1

- The Goons

Plantes Vertes,

Carbonade flamande is a classic. It's a Belgian beef stew. Also lapin a la kriek, rabbit stewed in kriek, a sour cherry-flavored lambic beer.

In a different style, a San Diego brewery makes a cheddar IPA soup that's pretty satisfying. Recipe here (I've never made it but had it a bunch of times at the brewery): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/garlic-cheddar-and-stone-ruination-ipa-soup-craft-of-stone-brewing-co-recipe.html

• Like 3

Also lapin a la kriek, ...

I like this idea very much; actually a year ago I had the chance to visit Bierbrasserie Cambrinus in Bruges and to sample the kriek beer. Had a very heavy suitcase on the way home; if only there was something left... But I can certainly lay hands on some more :smile:

I make a Black and Tan chile with a bottle of Pilsner and a bottle of coffee stout. Not all the beer makes it in the pot, of course, but I think it adds a good flavor.

This is a great suggestion thayes1c, thanks! However, it did make me laugh; my gravely republican Irish family will surely disown/eviscerate me if I keep the name. I'll think of an alias...

• Like 1

I don't have an exact recipe, but, several years ago I had some ice cream that was made by fooling around with a classic French full cream and egg ice cream base and adding Corona and a little lime juice. It was really good, and on my list of things to work on perfecting a formula for. Shouldn't be too hard to make, just cook the base first, cool, then add beer and lime to taste and spin.

• Like 1

Also theres a great recipe online that uses chocolate stout in various desserts :)

There is a recipe for chocolate-stout cake with Guinness ice cream that I've been eyeing for a while in Supper Suppers at Lucques by Suzanne Goin.

Great idea for a party by the way!

• Like 2

There is a recipe for chocolate-stout cake with Guinness ice cream that I've been eyeing for a while in Supper Suppers at Lucques by Suzanne Goin.

Great idea for a party by the way!

I'm not familiar with those particular recipes and I've never made a stout cake but I have made a Guinness ice cream. I enjoyed it. I've also made a sorbet using a raspberry lambic that I enjoyed.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Like others have already mentioned, I love to splash in a bottle of Guinness and or/lager into stews, braises or chillies. I also use it when I make corned beed. You could also do what the old chain Lum's used to do, and steam hot dogs in lager.

• Like 2

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

Plantes Verdes, call it a Velvet Hammer, which IIRC, is champaign and stout, or just go with the Black and Tan, which, again IIRC, was concocted to "take the Mickey out" of the English troops!

• Like 1

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I make a Black and Tan chile with a bottle of Pilsner and a bottle of coffee stout. Not all the beer makes it in the pot, of course, but I think it adds a good flavor.

This is a great suggestion thayes1c, thanks! However, it did make me laugh; my gravely republican Irish family will surely disown/eviscerate me if I keep the name. I'll think of an alias...

Edited by thayes1c (log)
  • Like 4

All these suggestions are making my mouth water. I use a dark beer instead of wine when making shepherd's pie.

I'm wondering if you can make a cheese fondue using beer instead of wine? Fondue's can be party friendly, just have lots of stuff on skewers handy...

• Like 1

There's an Ecuadorian recipe called Seco de Chivo which is, depending on where you eat it, either kid goat or spring lamb, adobado for a day or so in a paste of pilsener-type lager (the "national beer" is actually called Pilsener), carrots, tomato, garlic, and onions, then slow-cooked in that same paste made a bit more liquid with more beer. I'll see if I can dig up a recipe somewhere.

EDIT - and of course if you're going beer-themed, what about the beer breads which generally use ales or porters as the liquid? There are both quick (soda/baking powder leavened) and yeast methods for these.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)
  • Like 2

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

You could also try "beer can chicken". I'm not sure how much beer flavor actually imparts during roasting though.

- The Goons

Welsh rarebit is a classic, the sauce can (IMO should) contain ale. I believe that it predates beer based fondues and beer & cheddar soups by a couple hundred years.

As for foods to sample with beer, I personally think that beer (in particular lager) is the perfect drink to pair with pizza. I know that red wine would be far more traditional, and I am a wine enthusiast, I just think that a good lager cuts through the fat in the pizza and creates a pleasing contrast in flavors. Of course, it doesn't hurt that beer and bread are related to each other and have harmonious relationship flavor-wise.

You may wish to explore the bread-beer connection a bit if you can get or make good artisan bread.

• Like 1

You could also try "beer can chicken". I'm not sure how much beer flavor actually imparts during roasting though.

Well when I make it I drink the beer first, which I thought was the point, so unless I'm doing it wrong there's no flavour imparted to the chicken...

• Like 2