• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Shel_B

Bergamot Curd

7 posts in this topic

Toots and I were talking earlier about bergamot, and the idea of bergamot curd crossed my mind. Has anyone ever made it? Any tips?

I found a couple of recipes on line, so I know it's been done.

... Shel

"... ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself "

I often add some bergamot to orange marmalade. Keep in mind that it is a very intense flavor, and straight bergamot curd might be no one's cup of tea. You might try a lemon or meyer lemon curd and add some bergamot juice to it. A little goes a long way, so start out carefully and if you want your next batch more bergamot-y add judiciously.

1 person likes this

I often add some bergamot to orange marmalade. Keep in mind that it is a very intense flavor, and straight bergamot curd might be no one's cup of tea. You might try a lemon or meyer lemon curd and add some bergamot juice to it. A little goes a long way, so start out carefully and if you want your next batch more bergamot-y add judiciously.

Good advice ... thanks!

... Shel

"... ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself "

Where does one obtain Bergamot oil, anyway? I've looked for it, but not found it locally....

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

David, I know you can get it through DoTerra. They are a company that sells essential oils- they actually do say that you can ingest their oils, unlike most essential oil manufacturers. I have not ordered from them myself though.