• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding gelatin to cold cream

Franci

Just checking with you. If I want to add dissolved gelatin to a cold cream and avoid sizing, do I need to cool down the dissolved gelatin first? Any other step?

As you can imagine, I just made a mess. I usually use gelatine in hot preparations.

Thanks!

I do this quite a bit to keep whipped cream from separating. I dissolve one teaspoon of powdered gelatin in one tablespoon of cold water and let it stand for three to five minutes to soften. Then add one tablespoon of boiling water and stir to dissolve the gelatin and smooth out any lumps. It isn't very hot by then, so I add it to one pint of cold unwhipped cream and then whip them together to soft peaks. Add sugar to taste while whipping and finish it with a splash of vanilla when it has firm peaks.

The cream will hold for three days without separating.

• Like 3

I was ready to declare defeat...the gelatin was not hot, I added a couple spoons of the cream to the gelatin to temper and at that point it looked smooth, but as soon as I damped it in the bowl: disaster. So I put the whole bowl in the microwave for 20 seconds, barely lukewarm and it worked. I wonder why? the cream had butter, dulce de leche and sour cream. In the process I wasted some cream and so I was a little short.

I'll take some pictures for sure! Thank you , Annabelle.

• Like 1

Warm you gelatine 30 s in microwave, add mixture progressively. If you put too much at once your gelatine sets. Once you've done half of the mix, fold in with the rest you should be ok. Avoid super cold mixes and make sure the gelatine is fairly hot!

• Like 1

Gelatin works well. It's easier if you bring the small amount of cream you're using to temper it up at least to room temperature to avoid pre-setting. If you ever do this recipe again, I'd recommend warming the dulce de leche and dissolving the gelatin in that. You can then leave it to cool and whip it up with the other ingredients.

I do this quite a bit to keep whipped cream from separating. I dissolve one teaspoon of powdered gelatin in one tablespoon of cold water and let it stand for three to five minutes to soften. Then add one tablespoon of boiling water and stir to dissolve the gelatin and smooth out any lumps. It isn't very hot by then, so I add it to one pint of cold unwhipped cream and then whip them together to soft peaks. Add sugar to taste while whipping and finish it with a splash of vanilla when it has firm peaks.

The cream will hold for three days without separating.

I find this works even better if you incorporate the gelatin and leave it to set overnight before whipping. You get an excellent texture and it holds its shape really well, and is perfect if you're infusing the cream with vanilla.

Sorry, didn't read that you use vanilla extract. Still, I'd recommend real vanilla :)

Edited by jmacnaughtan (log)
  • Like 2