• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking meringue in forms

mm84321

Last night I ordered what I thought was a silicone demisphere mold to cook and form meringue. Today, upon receiving the package, I discovered it was not silicone, but acrylic, for chocolate work. It is no issue to return, but I wonder if it would still be possible to use for the meringues, and could it withstand a heat of 160F? If so, what would be best to line the molds with to prevent sticking? Thanks.

Molds in question:

4A5AvTGl.png

I think you might find it's a whole lot more trouble than it's worth! I've had a few molds run afoul of the oven - the molds don't win. I suspect they could tolerate 160 F - but the advantage of silicone is that you can pop them out if they don't fall out - won't happen with polycarbonate.

Yes, meringue can be nasty sticky stuff. I once (very inadvisedly) tried doing baby pavlovas in metal forms. Complete failure.

Kerry's the expert when it comes to how an acrylic mould might (or might not) behave in the oven, but if you're going to try it I'd suggest baking paper/parchment to prevent sticking.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

This may be insane even as a suggestion, but can meringues be made in a microwave oven (also, I'm assuming polycarbonate withstands microwave, correct)? The fact that cakes can be made in the microwave got me thinking.

You can, but I don't think that the result is the same. I've got a recipe for floating islands cooked in the microwave, as it's supposed to give a "poached" texture. However, when I tried it my meringues swelled up enormously then collapsed into sad little heaps. In any case, you won't dehydrate them very effectively in there.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Decided to return these and look elsewhere for silicone. Only ones I can find available are in Washington, and I am located in CT and need them for a party next week. Anyone know of any sources for a 2" half sphere mold? Or I can just have it shipped overnight..