• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soy Sauce Pasta Dough (and other experiments?)

Constantin Peters

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Just my opinion:

It seems to me that taste is experienced by contact with taste sensors on your tongue. If you mix expensive morel powder into the pasta dough, at least 50% of the morel powder buried inside the dough never touches you taste sensors. 

Would it be better to use the powder to make sauce?

Same thinking with soy sauce in pasta dough. Huge amount of salt eaten that has nothing to do with taste.

dcarch

The morels were not expensive for the poster since they were a gift.  When I receive a gift of an ingredient that I often could not afford to buy very often myself I try to honour the gift by doing something a little bit challenging with it.   Not all experiments work of course. YMMV 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes it was a gift. Quite a bit of them. My wife and kids won't touch any kind of mushroom so, that's what I did think up. It was pretty good.  Had I thought about putting the powder in the sauce I would have. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 2 weeks later...