• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with hibiscus flowers in syrup?

Chocolot

I picked up a jar of hibiscus flowers in syrup (made in Australia). Thought it might be interesting in a ganache, but find it is very mild. Any ideas what to do with it to punch it up?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

The flowers and the syrup work very well in conjunction with some sparkling wine. The combination makes for a nice apéritif.

This. Apparently, anyway. I'm not guilty of indulging in them.

I know the product you're talking about. Small jar. Red label, right? Well, red flower on black. From memory, anyway. All Australian bottle shops sell that product. The idea is you drop the flowers into sparkling wine/bargain basement Champagne. I guess you could maybe work them into something like a Kir. I guess you could maybe even experiment with putting them into some sort of white wine-based granita/ice.

I couldn't imagine doing much else with them.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Funny you should ask. I borrowed a book from my public library today, Cooking With Flowers by Miche Bacher, a confectioner. Bacher suggests mixing hibiscus syrup with champagne (2 cups hibiscus syrup, 2 cups champagne) for grown-up popsicles. You can also whip it with cream for hibiscus whipped cream.