• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I think the FD meat is good, and the fish is excellent -- better than at my Fairway (the Harlem location).

The produce has not been a hit for me, and I can't really recommend it.  The notable exception is tomatoes, which have been uniformly fine.  But I've gotten soft potatoes from them before!  And almost every green or herb I've ever purchased has been wilted.  I am not bothered all that much in concept by wilted herbs, or even wilted greens that are going to be cooked.  But wilted lettuce drives me crazy, even though sometimes it can be revived a little bit.  And nothing wilted is supposed to cost what it costs at Fresh Direct.  Wilted edibles are supposed to come at a discount.  

I really enjoy grocery shopping, though, and I live in NYC where it can be really very interesting.  So I only use FD for specific purposes -- once when I was sick, otherwise when I just can't make the time to haul to the store(s), etc.  And once I've committed to ordering, then I go to town and get cases of beer and some table wine and a boatload of q-tonic and enough LaCroix to last for the whole summer . . . .  I live up five flights of stairs, so anything that is a pain for me, once I've signed on for a delivery with them, they bring it.  And yes, there are cases of LaCroix in my living room.  Behind the couch.  

ETA:  Sorry for your woes, Weinoo, wishing you a speedy recovery.  That thing they say about not lifting . . . well, I don't know what happened with you, but I do know that this proscription is usually meant to be taken seriously.  Take good care, have fun in the world of delivery.  And don't sleep on Instacart, or hiring a Taskrabbit to go pick up your stuff at your appointed vendors.  

SLB

SLB

I think the FD meat is good, and the fish is excellent -- better than at my Fairway (the Harlem location).

The produce has not been a hit for me, and I can't really recommend it.  The notable exception is tomatoes, which have been uniformly fine.  But I've gotten soft potatoes from them before!  And almost every green or herb I've ever purchased has been wilted.  I am not bothered all that much in concept by wilted herbs, or even wilted greens that are going to be cooked.  But wilted lettuce drives me crazy, even though sometimes it can be revived a little bit.  And nothing wilted is supposed to cost what it costs at Fresh Direct.  Wilted edibles are supposed to come at a discount.  

I really enjoy grocery shopping, though, and I live in NYC where it can be really very interesting.  So I only use FD for specific purposes -- once when I was sick, otherwise when I just can't make the time to haul to the store(s), etc.  And once I've committed to ordering, then I go to town and get cases of beer and some table wine and a boatload of q-tonic and enough LaCroix to last for the whole summer . . . .  I live up five flights of stairs, so anything that is a pain for me, once I've signed on for a delivery with them, they bring it.  And yes, there are cases of LaCroix in my living room.  Behind the couch.