• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

I have never used any delivery services for grocery shopping, but the times they are a changin'.

I'm in the throes of recovering from some fairly intense surgery (not intense in a life-threatening sort of way, but intense in other ways, like it fucking hurts), and my recovery precludes me from driving (not necessarily a problem) and lifting/schlepping anything over "x" number of pounds.  So my beloved trips to the USQ green market, or out to Sheepshead Bay to Net Cost market, or to somewhere in Queens or NJ to H Mart, and dragging 30 to 40 lbs. of groceries/produce up to my apartment, are out for a while. Fortunately, the recovery has not stopped us from going out to dinner practically nightly.

Enter Fresh Direct, and my thoughts of signing up. The have product like Poulet Rouge, a favorite bird of mine.  And their prices for many items certainly seem in line with the places I generally shop at. 

They have various iterations of a "delivery pass," which would allow me to schedule deliveries on certain days of the week, at practically $0 delivery cost.

I've heard from 2 or 3 friends who use it that it's very, very time saving and convenient, and that much of the product (fresh stuff) is actually of good quality.  On-line they even show a produce delivery box from a CSA, that you can order or not, without signing up for a whole season's worth.

So, other than the above, anyone here use it regularly? If so, whaddya think these days?

I noticed they had Wild Alaskan king salmon at $25, which is about 40% off the price other sellers.  And certain other fresh items (meats, seafood, poultry) have prices that easily match or are better than I pay at other places.

ETA: Thank god for the World Cup and today the start of the Tour de France, which while they haven't eased the recovery process, certainly help to pass some time.

weinoo

weinoo

I have never used any delivery services for grocery shopping, but the times they are a changin'.

I'm in the throes of recovering from some fairly intense surgery (not intense in a life-threatening sort of way, but intense in other ways, like it fucking hurts), and my recovery precludes me from driving (not necessarily a problem) and lifting/schlepping anything over "x" number of pounds.  So my beloved trips to the USQ green market, or out to Sheepshead Bay to Net Cost market, or to somewhere in Queens or NJ to H Mart, and dragging 30 to 40 lbs. of groceries/produce up to my apartment, are out for a while. Fortunately, the recovery has not stopped us from going out to dinner practically nightly.

Enter Fresh Direct, and my thoughts of signing up. The have product like Poulet Rouge, a favorite bird of mine.  And their prices for many items certainly seem in line with the places I generally shop at. 

They have various iterations of a "delivery pass," which would allow me to schedule deliveries on certain days of the week, at practically $0 delivery cost.

I've heard from 2 or 3 friends who use it that it's very, very time saving and convenient, and that much of the product (fresh stuff) is actually of good quality.  On line - they even show a produce delivery box from a CSA, that you can order or not, without signing up for a whole season's worth.

So, other than the above, anyone here use it regularly? If so, whaddya think these days?

I noticed they had Wild Alaskan king salmon at $25, which is about 40% off the price other sellers.  And certain other fresh items (meats, seafood, poultry) have prices that easily match or are better than I pay at other places.

ETA: Thank god for the World Cup and today the start of the Tour de France, which while they haven't eased the recovery process, certainly help to pass some time.

weinoo

weinoo

Enter Fresh Direct, and my thoughts of signing up. The have things like Poulet Rouge (mentioned and cooked by @splinky in another thread somewhere).  And their prices for many items certainly seem in line with the places I generally shop at. 

I've heard from 2 or 3 friends who use it that it's very, very time saving and convenient, and that much of the product (fresh stuff) is actually of good quality.  On line - they even show a produce delivery box from a CSA, that you can order or not, without signing up for a whole season's worth.

weinoo

weinoo

Enter Fresh Direct, and my thoughts of signing up. The have things like Poulet Rouge (mentioned and cooked by @splinky in another thread somewhere).  And their prices for many items certainly seem in line with the places I generally shop at.