• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stupid Stuff at the Grocery Store - Products

Kim Shook

I would never buy it but people like my wife whose strength in her hands is going would find it a blessing.

So would my wife. RA can be a b***h.

Do you grip the noodles in both hands and bend it to break it? I hold the box against the edge of the counter and press on the ends with the heels of my hands. Takes no hand strength to speak of.

• Like 1

Why would anyone buy a heat & eat item stored in the RAW meat case?

In our market the raw meat is many feet removed the heat and eat. I don't buy it because I would rather cook my own. However, if properly reheated any migration of germs would still be killed off AFAIK.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have to tell you this about the Mashed Pots:

Trader Joe's had their frozen mashed potatoes w their Turkey Boxed gravy around Thanksgiving time USA.

I said #%()RY#$%(^#$%.

but I tasted them. they did not have skins in the Pots. the Potato package were individual 'pucks'

ie you could take out the number you needed, etc

then micro them. IF you added a bit of hot milk and then some butter, perhaps some fresh grated nutmeg, just a hint ...

and did not have the time to make your own,

they were very good.

NB: the hot milk and the butter, some fresh grated nutmeg would be required.

• Like 1

Stupid is good.

A little while ago, the local supermarket advertised lobster tails on sale.

What was supposed to be $6.99 each for the very small ones, instead, they made a mistake and marked them for $6.99 a lb.

I bought 12 lbs. :-).

Regular price were around $16.00 a lb.

dcarch

• Like 4

Stupid is good.

A little while ago, the local supermarket advertised lobster tails on sale.

What was supposed to be $6.99 each for the very small ones, instead, they made a mistake and marked them for $6.99 a lb.

I bought 12 lbs. :-).

Regular price were around $16.00 a lb.

dcarch

NICE! Like the center-cut ham (no shank) I bought a couple of weeks ago. The label had it priced at .29 cents a pound. was supposed to be 1.29 was 2.50 -something for 8 pounds.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I guess this may be a liability/lawyer thing ...

A sign above cured olives, something like this:

"Olives have pits, for adults only"

I'm reminded of a label on a box of sleeping pills: "CAUTION: May cause drowsiness."

• Like 3

... Shel

Costco also sells a pre-made mashed potatoes product that is decent. It comes with 2 "tubs" of potatoes per package and is easily heated in the microwave. It's convenient for seniors who don't cook for themselves anymore.

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

True. Good design and engineering etc.

But I can't get past buying German spaghetti.

I must defend Mueller's, who is clearly not familiar to many here. They are a PA Dutch noodle company famous for their "egg noodles." Excellent product, only choice for many dishes. In a class like Barilla. But the pot-size thing is hilarious.

• Like 3

I grew up in north central Pennsylvania.

Mueller's were the noodles preferred by most there for many decades....still are preferred by many.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I grew up in north central Pennsylvania.

Mueller's were the noodles preferred by most there for many decades....still are preferred by many.

They were the de facto egg noodle standard when I was growing up in NYC ... I still miss them when I make my favorite noodles and cheese dish.

... Shel

Thanks, rotuts. I need to tell my mother about those.

She lives alone and has RA and these would be welcome at her house.

Annabelle, Idahoan brand makes good instant potatoes, flavoured or not, in pouches or in snack size cups. Either one, just add water. They're quick, tasty, easy and can be dressed up with cheese, ham, chicken, hot dog chunks, etc. Pouches make 2 generous servings, cups are for 1.

• Like 3

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

That's good to know, judi. Mother is getting pickier by the year, but she does love her mashed potatoes. She just doesn't eat much any more, so that would be perfect especially since she doesn't have any problems with her blood sugar.

Thanks!