• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stupid Stuff at the Grocery Store - Products

Kim Shook

I don't need pot-sized spaghetti... but I don't break my spaghetti either. Those short pieces don't twirl on the fork properly. :biggrin:

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Not really stupid stuff, but stupid placement. In among a display of Kosher/Jewish products there was some Ham Glaze!

The whole shelf:

attachicon.gifmarket.jpg

Closeup:

attachicon.gifmarket2.jpg

I hope it's at least kosher ham glaze. >_>

• Like 3

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Not really stupid stuff, but stupid placement. In among a display of Kosher/Jewish products there was some Ham Glaze!

The whole shelf:

attachicon.gifmarket.jpg

Closeup:

I hope it's at least kosher ham glaze. >_>

It is...

http://www.mrsschlorers.com/hamglaze.html

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Today’s most ridiculous thing seen at the grocery store:

med_gallery_3331_122_145235.jpg

Because its so complicated to break spaghetti in half.

I used to see packages of fideo (broken spaghetti) and thought it was silly. Then I thought, well, I guess maybe the manufacturers had broken pasta, so they marketed it like that.

Is the pot sized spaghetti the same price as the regular size spaghetti?

• Like 1

It all depends on what sized pot one is using. I use a fairly large one for spaghetti and linguini and I like the really long stuff and when I make my own I make it in long strands.

I think it is about 18 - 20 inches long and I just stand it up in the pot and as the bottom part softens, push it down till it is all submerged.

The Italian market has several sizes of spaghetti and linguini that are quite long and there are some large tube-type pasta (I've never bought any) that are sold in bulk and must be two feet long. They weigh it and wrap it in butcher paper.

Also "Mueller" is not a name I would associate with pasta.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Indeed, a marketing ploy! When I worked in a bulk food store with a cheese counter we had a lot of gorgonzola bits, so we broke them down a bit further and sold them as gorgonzola crumbles for salad. They FLEW out of the store, much to my boss's surprise!

• Like 2

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The portion measuring circle on the box is a clever idea. It may be helpful for some people.

• Like 2

... Shel

The portion measuring circle on the box is a clever idea. It may be helpful for some people.

True. Good design and engineering etc.

But I can't get past buying German spaghetti.

• Like 1

But I can't get past buying German spaghetti.

Although started by a German immigrant, Mueller's is a 100% American product, founded in Newark, NJ in the late 1860's. It was a one man operation for a number of years, with Mueller making egg noodles. Around 1890 Mueller opened his first factory, also in NJ. By 1894, macaroni and spaghetti pastas were added to his product line. It's as American as any other product.

• Like 2

... Shel

The whole shelf:

attachicon.gifmarket.jpg

Closeup:

Kosher or not, I agree it's stupid placement. Almost everything in most NYC supermarkets is marked kosher, it doesn't end up in the separate "kosher" section. If someone was looking for ham glaze, that's probably not the first place they'd seek it.

I get a good laugh around Passover time when my supermarket has a separate section for Passover products, and they always include the leftover Hamentaschen from Purim. Every year.

• Like 2

It's probably for the thieves who "graze" their way through the olive bar. It saves the store from paying for their dental work.

Don't you think that the store intends for them to be sampled?

Just like plastic produce bags.

• Like 2