• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

50# 0f Veal Bones–Pot Size?

Paul Bacino

It seems like I can only source 50# of veal bones to make stock. Few questions

If I do a un-roasted Bone Stock--Ie Keller How big a pot does one need?

Otherwise I may try my hand @ Sauce Espagnole with half. Then what sizes come in handy

I'm only a home cook, can I do a pot, on my 6 Burner Dacor, too

TIA

Paul

Gonna use this sauce/ Glace for my Beef Filet ( Dry Ice freezing ) experiment

Its good to have Morels

Usually, an 80 qt stock pot for 50 lbs. These are big enough for a small-ish person to hide in.

Most practical thing to do would be to parcel out the bones into 4 or 5 parcels, work with one parcel, and freeze the rest. If the bones are fresh, this works well, but if frozen, it can be a problem

• Like 1

I agree with Edward. Can I also add that you can have a several prepared for roasting and eating.. Either cut on the bias or have them cut into 2.5 inch rounds.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

MY biggest Problem, is lack of bone freezing space... I think I can parcel down better, 2 quarts +/ - of stock.

MY butcher said he would hold half of the bones / but if I'm going for a whole weekend of stock making, I'm just thinking of just doing it all at once. And I'm not sure when I'd do stock again. I did my last batch of 20# a yr ago, and ran around town to find that much

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

An 80 Qt pot will hold 150 lbs of contain. +20 lbs of the weight of the pot. Which comes to about 170 lbs to 180 lbs on the burner.

dcarch

You need this :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjFu7x8NpCg&list=PLs-EFwMFjlXLu_QSLIlO-fBb3QmKJ06Ly

I guess I should have clarified, I meant a commercial 80 qt steam kettle--the kind that is bolted to floor and comes with a drain. Manoevering anything heavier than a 20 qt pot on the stove is hard on the back, hard on the handles of the pot, and just crappy all-way around. Plus it eats up valuable stovetop space that is needed during service time.

• Like 1

you need like a 12 qt pot for making 12 pounds of bones turn into demi glace.. so you can make 24 pounds worth of demi. that would be incredibly manageable. that cooks down to like anywhere between 9 or 10 cups. Then you can probably take 5 pounds for marrow cut on the bias.. have them cut the pieces into like 6 or 7 inch pieces, then cut in half.. you can roast these. And then use the last 20 for stock. for another time.. maybe the following weekend. Seems like a lot to have going on all at once. It also seems like a lot of beef stock though in general.

you can also ask the butcher to cut them in a particular way in order for you to be able to just extract the actual marrow from the bones.. this will allow you to have cylinders of marrow.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 2

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

If you get a length of nylon tube, you can siphon stock from the bottom up. You can get 100% fat free stock.

dcarch

Would you siphon much like gas from a car's gas tank via hose ?

You don't need to use your mouth. Similar to the video, but you don't need to submerge the entire length into liquid.

Use a long enough tube, submerge most of the tube, then use your thumb to close off the dry end and lower the dry end to the other container.

This way you can siphon boiling liquid, any liqid or gasoline.

dcarch