• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

Wow

""  homemade shrimp and pork wontons  ""

good for you !   :biggrin:

I buy the stuff frozen at the Chinese Emporium  'Prime Foods' and consider myself lucky !

do you grate frozen ginger ? from the 'hand'   revelational for me !

Kudos your way !

Oh so easy! Use Ming Tsai's recipe. Make a large batch and freeze. Here just thin slices of fresh ginger (ginger and garlic fished out before other ingredients added). I also buy the wontons but home made are better. Always have frozen ginger on hand for grating.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Aw shucks, scubadoo.  Thanks.

----------------------

Lunch yesterday:

• Spanokopita [Grecian Garden, Indy City Market] with scallion & cucumber pickles.

• Toscana [Sapori Italia], Taleggio [Ciresa], Salemville Blue cheeses [last two from Goose the Market]; fresh baguette.

DSCN0954a_800.jpg

DSCN0957a_800.jpg

----------------------

Lunch today:

• Fresh White Pacific shrimp [Bedrock Springs Seafood Farm] stir-fried w/ garlic, ginger, scallions, hot long green chillies, & a savory sauce.

• Lotus root & bamboo shoot soup.§

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN0963b_800.jpg

A mixture of (hon) mirin [Takara], "Aged Gourmet Rice Vinegar" (陳年酢) [Kong Yen], several dashes of black sesame oil, chicken stock.

§Thickly-sliced scrubbed fresh lotus root, bamboo shoots [First World Brand] blanched for a few minutes then drained & cut up, rehydrated de-stemmed small dried Chinese mushrooms (tung koo), the mushroom soaking water, cut-up skin-on chicken breast, a 1/3 inch thick slice of Jamón Serrano cut up into chunks, water, Himalayan salt.  The Jamón Serrano served as a substitute for Jinhua Ham.

The stuff for the shrimp dish:

DSCN0961a_800.jpg

Additional pics:

DSCN0969b_800.jpg

DSCN0967b_800.jpg

• Like 3

image.jpg

Chicken salad with olives and a sun-dried tomato dressing.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN:  everything you make looks delicious.

it becomes redundant  to select the " like this " button.

so from now on, consider it selected.

Why thank you. But don't be so hasty! Like everyone I have my share of failures and sometimes photos do lie. Things can look delicious but be totally devoid of flavour! Think of all those carefully styled Big Macs. WE NEED A TASTE APP.

My 2004 eG Blog

Big Mac's  when piping hot are very tasty.  the cheese has to be melted.

they are designed to be just so, so you get addicted, and keep coming back.  For the Fix.

noting to do with beef though...

it's very unwise to take one home, still warm, and micro it for 30 sec and then gobble it up.

fortunately at the Arches they never deliver them in this state.

Edited by rotuts (log)

BTW  posting 'failures' is probably more helpful than just 'successes'  one can learn a lot from them.

I dont post mine :  the CCD on the Sony would probably just burn right out.   smoke would come from my computer  etc etc

:blink:

• Like 1

Yesterday's lunch - Fried Rice. 

Cut-up yellow tofu stir-fried w/ garlic in peanut oil & "Luscious Soy Paste" [Kimlan].  Reserved.  Sliced-up Napa cabbage, hot long green chillies, large-type green onion ("tai chung"/negi) tossed around in a hot pan w/ chopped smashed garlic in vegetable oil.  Three eggs (beaten w/ ground black pepper, some vegetable oil & some water) poured in, allowed to set a bit.  Stuff tossed scrambled around.  Two-day-old Basmati rice added in.  The reserved tofu slices went back in.  Tossed around w/ spatula till done.  Plated w/ deep-fried shallots & coriander leaves.

DSCN0970a_800.jpg

DSCN0974a_800.jpg

DSCN0984a_800.jpg

• Like 2

Split and toasted small sub-type roll, spread with Dijon and topped with some lightly smoked cracked pepper sardines from a tin, eaten open faced. Atulfo mango, perfectly ripe, for dessert.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Italian Potstickers. Filled with pork, basil pesto and parmigiano reg, in a blush sauce with a hint of balsamic.

attachicon.gifitalian dumplings1.jpg

That's interesting, gfweb.  Sounds quite delicious.  Could you spare a bit more detail?  Pork - minced pork? Any particular kind?  What seasonings, if any?  Basil pesto = "regular"/standard-type pesto (w/ cheese in it already)(what kind?) ?  Blush sauce - could you say a little  more?

image.jpg

Sometimes in the interest of improved mental health I leap off the low carb wagon and today was one of those days. Grey skies and drizzle can do something to those of us just emerging from one of the worst winters in decades. We deserve better.

Home made baguette topped with smoked cheddar (thanks Kerry Beal) and pate with beets and cukes. Didn't bring the sun out but reminded me that life still has promise.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

That's interesting, gfweb.  Sounds quite delicious.  Could you spare a bit more detail?  Pork - minced pork? Any particular kind?  What seasonings, if any?  Basil pesto = "regular"/standard-type pesto (w/ cheese in it already)(what kind?) ?  Blush sauce - could you say a little  more?

An improvisation.  It was tasty indeed.  Next time I'm going to put in more than a few drops of balsamic or maybe sriracha to the sauce.

4 tbsp Ground pork + 1.5 to 2 tbsp prepared basil pesto + 2 Tbsp grated parm...salt and pepper.

Won ton wrappers made to look like a gyoza

Sauce was a few Tbsp Barilla jar sauce with a splash of heavy cream and a few drops of balsamic.

image.jpg

What to do with a little leftover ground pork stuffing (from a meal of stuffed acorn squash)? Toss it into a pan, add some chicken stock, a star anise, some julienned carrot and zucchini noodles and call it lunch.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What to do with a little leftover ground pork stuffing (from a meal of stuffed acorn squash)? Toss it into a pan, add some chicken stock, a star anise, some julienned carrot and zucchini noodles and call it lunch.

I like. 

Of course, for myself I would add in some noodles but then that would be for me. :-)

Huh, I'm still semi-full from today's breakfast...

But here's two recent lunches.

------------------------

• Cubed soft & firm tofu (half-half) sautéed/"stir-fried" with minced pork, finely chopped ginger, chopped smashed garlic, chili-garlic sauce [LKK], yuojialaodouban (友加老豆瓣) (a form of Szechuanese chili bean paste), oyster sauce [LKK], peanut oil, a splash of fish sauce [Red Boat] and lots and lots of chopped scallions and coriander leaves just before the end.

• White rice.

• Leftover double-boiled pickled mustard & duck soup. (see here)

DSCN1031a_800.jpg

DSCN1027a_800.jpg

-------------------------

• Peeled Chinese 'hairy gourd'/"chit kua"/"mou kua" sliced into large-ish sticks, sautéed/pan-cooked with lots of chopped smashed garlic in peanut oil, softened dried shrimp ("har mai"), cut-up/sliced soaked & wrung-out pickled mustard ("harm choy"), rehydrated small dried Chinese mushrooms ("tung koo" type), sea salt, a splash of jozo mirin, water, and cellophane/glass noodles (pre-soaked in water) before the end to soak up the liquid and soften further/properly.  This is a riff on "tai yee ma kar lui" (大姨媽嫁女). :-) (See here for an example of a straightforward, "clean version" of the dish I've posted about previously on eG).  I had seconds.

• A chocolate eclair, a raspberry-sugar-coated chocolate truffle, a slice of Bête Noire (flourless chocolate "cake"/torte) from Rene's Bakery.

Food coma followed.

DSCN1045a_800.jpg

DSCN1047a_600.jpg DSCN1051a_600.jpg

• Like 3

Lunch today:

• Leftover stewed mushrooms, bamboo shoots & beancurd sheets (see here), boosted w/ large cubes of firm tofu, made a little more watery with seasoning corrected.  Eaten w/ soba noodles.  Dressed w/ finely sliced scallions, green parts only.

• Fresh red-stem baby spinach & chopped up Napa cabbage, blanched in oiled hot water.  Dressed w/ Ponzu sauce, Bulldog sauce, and ground white pepper.

• Pickled scallions & Japanese cucumbers, w/ toasted sesame seeds.

DSCN1095a_800.jpg

DSCN1092a_800.jpg

• Like 3

Late lunch today:

Fennel, pear, orange, cucumber, dried cranberries, toasted pecans, and quarter kumquats salad with mango chipotle dressing, Scrambled eggs with dill, crumbled feta, and grape tomatoes. Loved the tang and saltiness of the feta with the eggs.

Feta and Dill scrambled eggs0562.jpg

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Lunch today:

• Shrimp sautéed/"stir-fried" with tomatoes, a tomato-ey sauce, scallions & shallots.  Call it a dish inspired by tôm sốt cà chua. :-)

Choy Sum stir-fried w/ garlic in peanut oil.  Simply salted.

• White rice.

Whole shrimp were peeled and stock made from the (tomalley-rich) heads, shells & legs. The shrimp were deveined & tossed w/ some tapioca flour and I don't remember exactly what else, then stir-fried w/ peanut oil & some sliced ginger till partly cooked and reserved.  A bit more oil was added to the pan and the tomatoes and shallots went in, followed by the sauce mixture (tomato ketchup [Heinz "Simply Heinz"], jozo mirin [Morita], rice vinegar [Kong Yen] and Worcestershire sauce [bulldog]) plus some of the shrimp stock (scooping up more of the red cream oil than the stock itself); everything cooked at high heat; then the scallions and the reserved shrimp.  Tossed a bit w/ the spatula and then plated.

DSCN1108b_800.jpg

DSCN1105b_800.jpg

On the way towards lunch.....

DSCN1099a_600.jpg

DSCN1101a_600.jpg

DSCN1102a_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

went out for lunch instead of sad desk lunch today...pho tom (chicken broth with shrimp, included baby bok choy, which was nice) and an appetizer of summer rolls with tofu. I'm stuffed.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

image.jpg

image.jpg

Molly Steven's braised cabbage.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

sorry, AnnaN,  I cannot do a "like" as my R index finger has 

1 ) arthritis   2 ) unusual Swellings  3 ) various Pains  3) etc etc

from clicking the " Like ' button for Anna N

its not so bad.

a few glasses of TJ's 'Lower Shelf ' mostly puts it in oder.

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2