• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

• Fresh maitake, shiitake & big white beech ("Seafood") mushrooms, plus rehydrated snow fungus, sautéed w/ chopped smashed garlic in corn oil; then tossed w/ angel hair pasta [De Cecco] and a few scoops of jellied chicken stock (straight into the pan).  Tender parsley garnish.

• Scrambled eggs w/ Chinese chives (sea salt, peanut oil).

• Freshly pickled Persian cucumbers, Korean radish, scallions; w/ toasted sesame seeds.

DSCN3261a_800.jpg

Sliced cucumbers, radish, scallions - tossed w/ salt and left to stand for 15-20 min, then rinsed and drained in a colander.  Put into a large ziploc bag.  Brewed rice vinegar [Marukan], white rice vinegar [Golden Flower], hon-mirin [Takara], sea salt, toasted sesame seeds [JFC] then went in, the bag was closed and everything sloshed around and stood for a bit.

• Like 1

Cue: Canned Heat - On the Road Again

OK. Giving my age away a bit, but I"m travelling into the depths of the countryside. This means I am totally at the mercy of the driver. You tell him what do do and he immediately does what he wants to do. 

So at approximately lunchtime by his belly, we stop in what would be a one-horse town if they possessed a horse or a town. Seriously middle of nowhere. No restaurants and no villagers to be found.

We finally, manage to buy some deep fried peanuts heavily laced with chilli (炸花生) and, somewhat bizarrely, that ancient Chinese classic, a muffin (黄金蛋糕).

We even found some reasonably cold beer (漓泉啤酒) - a rarity in the countryside. That is the 'cold' is rare; beer is plentiful.

lunch.jpg

Dinner had better be good!

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Shrimp wonton soup.

The filling was chopped de-shelled de-veined shrimp, sesame oil, white pepper, chopped scallions, salt, splash of sang chau soy sauce, bit of salt as well.  I probably forgot something.  The soup was chicken stock simmered w/ "stock fish" (tiny dried anchovies) & dried Chinese mushrooms.  Some of the mushrooms were retrieved later and added to the soup.

Plus deep-fried wonton skins [Twin Marquis] (HK style) (also used for the wontons above) cut into strips; and mung bean sprouts sautéed w/ garlic, ginger & scallions.

DSCN3280a_800.jpg

DSCN3273a_600.jpg

• Like 1

• "Singapore Curry La Mian" [Prima Taste].  Augmented w/ mung bean sprouts, daun kesum/daun laksa, tau pok, two hard-boiled eggs, poached chicken thigh (ginger, salt, water).

• Kai-lan in the chicken poaching broth.

DSCN3286a_800.jpg

Pic of the pack with enclosed seasonings shown:

DSCN3282a_800.jpg

Note that this is a different one from the "Singapore Laksa La Mian" previously shown in other posts on the dinner and lunch threads.  The taste profile is different.  On the whole I prefer the Laksa one.

• Like 2

image.jpg

Leftovers: pork chop, puréed rutabaga with caramelized shallots, lingonberry sauce and homemade bread.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

""   lingonberry sauce  ""

IKEA ?

Yes indeed.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

never occurred to me to use it on meat :

attachicon.gifLsauce.jpg

if you like cranberry sauce, you might like this a lot !

thank you AnnaN

my last jar

:sad:

Funny. Never occurred to me to use it any other way! I am very fortunate in that I live quite close to IKEA. And I have a friend who lives even closer possibly within walking distance. Having said that I really go more than twice a year! Still hoping to get some of their frozen salmon which is never in stock when I go.

My 2004 eG Blog

try it on Fresh HomeMade Toast.  if you like tart as I do.

you can pretend that toast came out of a CSB if you like.

ie take some of that L.P. north in the Spring and See.

Curious that your jar is labelled preserves while mine is labelled sauce:

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

is yours 'a bit loose'

mine says this :

serving size : 20 grms   20 / container

34 Cals.

is yours different ?   ( to detect added water )

from the SKW ( or water ever its called ) what I see is the same as mine

like the 007 part !

"" Licensed for Toast ... CSB Toast, not Crisped ""

:huh:

Edited by rotuts (log)

I get Darbo wild lingonberry sauce at my local Shoprite - 5.99 for 400 grams.  We use it with venison, duck, bison and wild boar.   Goes really well with wild boar meatloaf.

Yesterday lettuce rolls with tuna salad.  I eat tuna salad maybe twice a year ... and yesterday was one of those days.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

routs,

My lingonberry sauce has the same nutritional information as your preserves only the name has been changed probably to reflect the idiosyncrasies of our (un)shared language and/or culture.

Food should be nutritious, delicious and when possible fun. I dusted off my Griddler and my entremet ring and here's the result.

image.jpg

SV'd pork chop re-heated and griddled, rutabaga with caramelized shallots re-heated and moulded and little gem lettuces halved, seasoned, drizzled with olive oil and griddled.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog