• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

image.jpg

Poached chicken breast and romaine on just-baked white bread with a side of Lay’s sour cream and onion chips.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A pastrami sandwich. Corned and smoked the brisket myself back around St. Paddy's. Had a chunk vac packed in the freezer and have been eating it over the last few days. May have to smoke a corned beef from the market to stock the freezer again

• Like 2

Co-worker gave me some green tomatoes and little eggplants he picked before they got killed by frost...so I made eggplant and chickpea curry. Also has some chard which I needed to use up. Color not too attractive, but tasty.

lunch.jpg

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

"Stirfried Kimchi Noodles" [Paldo] (this one); augmented w/ kkakdugi plus some of the chillied marinating liquid [5,000 Years Food, Inc.], kibun takebue chikuwa (this one) cut into quarters, pork meatballs [Venus], sliced Napa cabbage heart leaves & "pull mustard" (雪裡紅) (see here also), chopped scallions.

DSCN3079a_800.jpg

• Like 2

I've been in a Kimchi Mood lately.

Today: Another bowl of the "Stirfried Kimchi Noodles" [Paldo] augmented this time w/ lots more baechu kimchi, a couple of eggs poached in situ, and lots of chopped scallions.

DSCN3089a_800.jpg

Took a quick drive to Rene's Bakery and brought home a few things.  Had a slice of their Bête Noire flourless chocolate cake/torte.  :-)

DSCN3090a_600.jpg

• Like 4

I so enjoyed this the other night for dinner and so since I still had the ingredients I made it again for lunch

image.jpg

Dorie Greenspan's apple, endive and grapes.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Zucchini, corn and scallion fritters with store bought salsa.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• Lap cheong steamed with the rice while cooking; "bowled" & eaten with the rice.

• Steamed beaten eggs with chopped scallions.  Seasoned (before steaming) with a dash of light soy sauce, some jozo mirin & diluted w/ water plus some oil.

• Kai-lan stems & Western celery, stir-fried w/ garlic.

DSCN3100a_800.jpg

• Like 2

• Spaghetti Carbonara.

DSCN3107a_800.jpg

Spaghetti [Garofalo], guanciale [smoking Goose via Goose the Market](cooked in a Cuisinart frying pan), Pecorino Romano [Locatelli], 2 egg yolks + 1 whole egg [Farmers Hen House, Kalona, IA], some of the pasta water (Cuisinart pot, gas stove)(sea salt [baleine]), parsley (from my deck, grown by me).  Plate made by Wm. Guérin, Limoges.

ETA: Oh, ground black pepper [Caravelle Special Grade], of course. (Banton by Vic Firth pepper mill)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 5

Huiray,

I love your pasta dishes. They always leave me drooling. ,almost all of them but especially your carbonaras and the one you occasionally make with the gorgonzola and walnuts. MMMMMMMMMM!!!! ( and I love you Limoge)

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Lunch at Mississippi Belle today.

Fried chicken, collard greens (I had seconds, w/ extra pot likker), green beans, cabbage, mac n cheese, hot water corn bread (I had seconds of these, too) w/ fixings.  Oh, and half-n-half (half sweet tea + half unsweetened tea)

DSCN3117a_800.jpg

• Like 2

Skinny wonton noodles [New Yung Ky Noodles, Inc.] dressed w/ a sauce made from oil, chopped garlic, some mui choy [Man Chong Loong], splashes of sang chau [Kimlan], oyster sauce [LKK] and ryori-shu [Morita], and chopped scallions.  Eaten w/ sliced re-warmed/recrisped Chinese roast pork [from Asia Mart].

DSCN3125a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7

image.jpg

Salad of leftover roast beef, lettuce, red onion and croutons. Dressing was olive oil, Worcestershire sauce and cream.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Huiray, Both of these last 2 dishes are drool worthy, and if I don't stop, I'm going to short out my keyboard.

Making a note to get over to Asia Mart soon. I NEED some of that pork! :-)

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Thanks, caroled.

Regarding Asia Mart - They get fresh stuff usually on Thursdays so Thursday nights or Fridays (better) - or Saturdays (but big crowd) - would be good times to drop by there.

Edited by huiray (log)

• "Shumai Dumplings with Crab" [JFC brand], steamed; with a dipping sauce made w/ sang chau soy sauce [Kimlan], dark soy sauce [Yuet Heung Yuen], "aged" rice vinegar [Kong Yen], and chopped scallions.

• Chicken stock/soup; with sliced celery, some fuzzy squash (skinned, of course), and fresh maitake mushrooms [Hokto Kinoko Company] briefly simmered in it.  (That's chicken fat floating on top, left in the stock when made)

DSCN3147a_800.jpg

DSCN3150a_800.jpg

• Like 3

Following the discussion of the Chinese burger that starts here

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146204-china-a-year-of-dining/?p=1995629

I had to try my hand at a very poor imitation. I took the bread recipe from here

http://omnivorescookbook.com/recipes/authentic-pork-belly-bun

And invented my own filling from leftover beef, onions, a few coins of smashed ginger, a star anise, salt, white pepper and chicken broth.

I am at a disadvantage having never had an opportunity to sample the real thing. Nevertheless it was a tasty lunch.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonkotsu ramen [sun Noodles], with Chinese roast pork [from Asia Mart], big-leaf tong ho (edible chrysanthemum), hard-boiled egg, and sliced Tokyo negi.

DSCN3163a_800.jpg

See here.  The big-leaf type is shown in the bottom picture.  This is the type that is preferred by many Cantonese, including myself, and is the type I almost always ate when having tong ho both in my growing-up years and in my earlier adulthood, even in the UK.  For some reason this is seldom found (in a general sense) in the USA, at least in my parts, while the small-leaf type (the upper picture in the link) is far more common.