• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

Huiray,

Is young freshly harvested ginger different in flavor to the regular tan skinned type I would get at a regular market?? Is it milder or stronger in flavor and does it have a more tender texture? Do you cook with the green shoots as well?

Caroled, it's milder although it still is "ginger-y" and definitely tender.  I used one head of these.  The green stems/shoots are cut off and discarded and the rhizome gently rubbed under a running tap to remove just a few of the bracts.  No peeling at all required or needed and definitely not recommended in my view.  No fibrous nature to the slices of rhizome but they are slightly "crunchy", if that makes sense.  Eaten like a slightly spicy tender vegetable.

ETA: The "regular tan skinned type" you would get at a regular market are mature rhizomes, processed and slightly dried. Depending on where you got them from they could also be pretty old (stored for quite a while) and dried out.  The young ginger I used here are immature rhizomes.  The grower pulled these for me on Friday because I had kept asking for them, even though she said to me that she wanted her ginger crop to "get bigger" (and mature) this year.  On occasion around this time of year in my local Chinese grocery I can also get ginger somewhere between the ones I used here and fully mature ones, far less pristine of course, because they would be a "commercial crop & shipment".  Not often.  (They are also more perishable because they are so "wet" and more delicate, by comparison with the mature counterparts)  Of course, I would expect that in areas where ginger-growing is commonplace availability of young freshly-harvested ginger would be unexceptional.

Edited by huiray (log)

20140927_115052_zpsd75c3d9e.jpg

A left over quiche,    ham, feta cheese,  doma cheese,  Edam cheese , basil, eggs, milk and tomatoes..  turned out really yummy.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Couple of lunches.

--------------------------------

A sauté of garlic, a kind of fried tofu sheets packed in sesame oil (now sliced up), marinated chicken pieces & ginger, broccoli, red shishito peppers, dashes of this-and-that sauces.  Eaten w/ skinny wonton noodles.

DSCN2799a_800.jpg

--------------------------------

• Fedelini w/ leftovers from the previous lunch, w/ remaining broccoli fished out; augmented w/ zucchini & Hatch chiles.

• Corned beef (store-bought) & kkakdugi (store-bought).

DSCN2804a_800.jpg

• Like 2

• More of the braised mushrooms, bamboo shoots & wood-ear fungus from here.

• Hong Kong Style Wonton Soup Flavored Instant Noodle King (生麵皇) [sau Tao], with chopped scallions, corned beef slices, couple of hard-boiled eggs, chopped Napa cabbage (leafy part only).

DSCN2821a_800.jpg

• Like 3

"Instant Noodles Artificial Pork-Ribs Flavor" (紅燒排骨麵) [Dragonfly brand] gussied up with:  the leftover marinating liquid of a bowl of kkakdugi [5,000 Years Food, Inc.] (cubed radish kimchi) I had as part of dinner the night before; couple of sliced Debreziner sausages that had sort-of dried out and which I rehydrated by simmering in water, then sliced up and simmered in the water that was going to be the "soup" for the dish; sliced half of a yellow onion; couple of green-shelled farm eggs poached in situ; trimmed kai-lan.  (The soup, seasoning, dried vegetables packages plus the noodle block went in, of course!)  Chopped scallions.

DSCN2824a_800.jpg

• Like 2

Rice congee w/ fish.

Peanut oil, finely sliced ginger, chopped smashed garlic; a packet of preserved mustard stems (榨菜), sliced pickled mustard greens (酸菜); “fish tofu”, sliced up; Redmond salt; water, fish sauce [Red Boat], simmer; raw rice (Thai hom mali; water:rice approx 10:1); simmer; lots of freshly ground white pepper; Cod fillet, sliced up into thickish pieces (pre-marinated in Shaohsing wine, corn oil, jozo mirin [Morita], freshly ground white pepper).  Eaten w/ chopped scallions, deep-fried shallots, Tianjin preserved vegetable (冬菜).

DSCN2847b_800.jpg

• Like 4

The start of Canadian Thanksgiving!

Lunch: brined then smoked for 4 hours turkey drumsticks and wings over crab apple wood and lump charcoal...

Lettuce and avocado vegetable wraps - made by one of our local Sobeys sushi ladies.

SmokedTurkey0162.jpg

CutSmokedTurkeyLeg0167.jpg

Lettucewrap0159.jpg

• Like 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• Oil, ginger, red cayenne chilli, tomato, shrimp w/ marinade (Shaohsing wine, oil, sesame oil, white pepper, lime juice, hon mirin, salt).

• Oil, garlic, broccoli, salt.

• White rice.

DSCN2883a_800.jpg

DSCN2880a_600.jpg

• Like 4

• Fresh maitake & white button mushroom soup.

EV olive oil, butter, a clove of well-smashed garlic, sliced shallots, maitake (Hen of the Woods) broken into pieces, "normal" white mushrooms sliced up, chicken stock, simmer.  Chopped young parsley.

DSCN2885a_800.jpg

• Merguez sausage meat mixture, artichoke hearts (canned), chopped turnip greens (plus EV olive oil).  Seasoning adjusted.  Tossed w/ angel hair pasta.

DSCN2891a_800.jpg

• Like 3

• Rice congee w/ pork spare ribs, pork belly, chillied bamboo shoots, Chinese mushrooms, & tofu.

Peanut oil, well-smashed garlic (Siberian Red, a whole head) chopped up, short-cut pork spare ribs (cut into individual riblets), pork belly w/ skin on (sliced up), shredded bamboo shoots packed/pickled in a salty sesame-oil chillied marinade, briefly-soaked small flower-pattern Chinese mushrooms (“far koo”) broken into halves, salt, water, simmer.  Raw rice (hom mali), simmer.  Firm tofu cut into chunks, simmer.  Eaten w/ chopped scallions. 

• Sautéed cauliflower & broccoli.

DSCN2903b_800.jpg

DSCN2899a_800.jpg

• Like 2

huiray, did you mix your own Merguez sausage? I'm always interested in the spice mixtures people use for that. I haven't worked out a favorite balance yet. Beautiful photos, as always. :-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

huiray, did you mix your own Merguez sausage? I'm always interested in the spice mixtures people use for that. I haven't worked out a favorite balance yet. Beautiful photos, as always. :-)

The merguez sausages came from Smoking Goose via Goose the Market.  (see here where I listed them)  I took a couple of them, removed the casing and crumbled up the meat.

Thanks for the comment on the photos, kind of you.

"QQ Abalone and Chicken Soup Flavored Vermicelli" [sau Tao] (this one) added to chicken thighs (cut-up) simmered w/ garlic in water + oil + a little salt (with seasoning packs &etc as well); plus romaine heart, trimmed spinach, sliced standard button mushrooms.

DSCN2914a_800.jpg

• Like 1

Some recent lunches.

Arrived in Uji today where everything revolves around green tea.

ibsPfeu8GDRkXt.JPG

il7rBA78fIocr.JPG

ibm2KlIuUs612N.JPG

It's mushroom season now and the only way to eat mushrooms my way (amount and what kinds) is to buy them and cook them myself. (My lodging in Kyoto has a simple kitchen)

iGV55gP1n3wyw.JPG

iV0hA9yOoQc6Y.JPG

i1jbuQsQCAaG5.JPG

More delicious mushrooms

ib0dCB3QcKOsMN.JPG

iqN4pJrR9ZmB8.JPG

• Like 2

Late lunch / early dinner.

• Coarse Braunschweiger, pressed tongue, Westphalian ham.  Semolina bread.

• Kkakdugi.

• Pickled mini-cucumbers & scallions, w/ toasted sesame seeds.

DSCN2919b_800.jpg

Very satisfying.

• Like 3

Lunch part 1:

Glutinous rice w/ pork & shiitake mushrooms w/ savory seasoning; wrapped in lotus leaves.  Steamed. [Commercial]

DSCN2924b_800.jpg

Lunch part 2:

Pork & shrimp wontons w/ XO sauce [Prime Food], w/ blanched kai-lan & small far-koo retrieved from the stock.  Soup made w/ chicken stock + dried far-koo + dried small "stock fish" + smashed garlic + a little oil + simmer; filtered.

DSCN2937b_800.jpg

• Like 2

My oven has been behaving like a moody  teenager   until today when they came and fixed it and  WOHO!  I had pizza for lunch made with my frozen pizza bases , just fresh dough frozen and then  a little bit of this and that,

20141020_113732_zps22e0b79d.jpg

• Like 5

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Recent lunches.

-------------------------------

More cold cuts, semolina bread, eggs scrambled w/ scallions, leftover sautéed Napa, pickled Persian cucumbers.

DSCN2949a_600.jpg

Shrimp heads w/ tomalley, shrimp shells --> shrimp stock, filtered.  Added in "Instant Noodles Artificial Hot & Sour Shrimp Flavor" [Dragonfly], Dodge City salami, broccoli, de-stemmed spinach, deveined shrimp, residues of the sauces of the steamed (w. garlic & ginger & etc) shrimp dish from dinner previously; then a couple of hard boiled eggs.  (There were many more shrimp buried within the noodles)

DSCN2960a_600.jpg

• Short-tied Knackwurst [Claus' German Sausage & Meats], sliced red onion sautéed in corn oil, sauerkraut w/ caraway seed, halved Red Thumb fingerlings, sliced yellow sweet peppers, fresh bay leaves.

• Rest of the pickled Persian cucumbers & scallions w/ roasted sesame seed.

DSCN2962a_800.jpg

DSCN2965a_600.jpg

• Like 1