• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

image.jpg

So the cycle of leftovers begins again but I short circuited it this time! I made lamb stew for me and my son last night, sent him home with some of the leftovers, had some for lunch today, and sent the rest home to my daughter's house.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Some recent lunches.

------------------------------------------

• Chicken slow-simmered broth w/ celery, carrots, parsley stems.  A bowl of this plus the veggies eaten w/ some of the chicken as well as min6 sin3 (Fuzhou-type wheat noodles; Taiwanese [Hung-Ming]).

DSCN2402a_800.jpg

-------------------------------------------

• Linguine tossed in the pan w/ sautéed garlic (EV olive oil), maitake mushrooms, sliced white (button-type) mushrooms, parsley.  Sea salt, splashes of jozo mirin & ryori-shu.

DSCN2421a_800.jpg

-------------------------------------------

• Sautéed minced pork, chopped garlic, vegetable oil, halved Sun Gold tomatoes, sliced de-seeded shishito peppers & (hot) Bulgarian Carrot peppers, quartered white button-type mushrooms.  Splash of fish sauce [Red Boat], seasoning adjusted.  Tossed in the pan w/ Angel hair pasta.

DSCN2427a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

I stir fried tofu and eggplant in my own variation of a gojuchang sauce.  It was very spicy and very yummy.

IMG_20140816_140754.jpg

• Like 1

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

“Instant Noodles Artificial Hot &Sour Shrimp Flavor” (酸辣蝦麵) [Dragonfly] augmented w/ sautéed sliced garlic (vegetable oil), leafy celery heart, quartered common mushrooms, chopped scallions, halved hard-boiled eggs (done separately) and de-shelled de-veined prawns (wild Atlantic; they went in at the very last).  Garnished w/ coriander leaves.

DSCN2443a_800.jpg

DSCN2445a_800.jpg

• Like 4

Sunday lunch:

• Chicken thighs, chopped up; “stir-fried” w/ garlic, vegetable oil, poblano peppers, shallots, baby long-type Chinese eggplants and a sauce mixture of {black bean garlic sauce [Lee Kum Kee], Guilin chili sauce [Lee Kum Kee], chilli paste w/ holy basil leaves [JHC], fish sauce [Red Boat], aged soy sauce [Kimlan], aged ‘gourmet’ rice vinegar [Kong Yen] and palm sugar}.

• White rice.

DSCN2457a_800.jpg

• Like 2

Polished off the remainder of the tomato sauce from dinner.  Served today on radiatore w/ shaved Parmigiano Reggiano and chopped chives plus sliced fresh mozzarella.  I liked the combination. :-) 

DSCN2468a_800.jpg

• Like 4

20140822_110517_zps8df06058.jpg

Kalvsylta with  sourcream and dill.  This my type of fast food, yeah I ate the whole lot and ignore boiling potatoes to it.,  YUM,  It is brawn /head cheese made with  calf meat and  I  only eat the one who used proper meat nor pink smile and is name protected.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Similar  but no the same, there is a million ways of using up the meat and putting in jelly, good way of not wasting any thing.   Sour cream , fresh potatoes and sylta is a common summer food in Sweden.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Lol. No pork but it does oink! It was a standard ML. Garlic, chopped onion, Worcestershire, little thyme. I wish I'd covered the whole thing in peaches and sugar and then torched it to get more caramelization. But it was tasty nonetheless.

• Like 1

image.jpg

Very late lunch today. Don't know where my mind was. Had a visitor right at the lunch hour and failed to even offer her a bite.

Had some odd bits of this and that in the fridge. A bit of raw minced lamb, a quarter of a red onion, half a small baked potato. Bunged these into a fry pan and made a sort of hash. Piled that into a miniature pita bread and topped with some chopped tomato and cucumber tossed in milk mayo. Sprinkled it with zatar. Not bad at all.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

(A second slice of) leek & parmesan quiche, with Italian marinated peppers.  Quiche re-warmed from the fridge with two 30-second MW bursts, and a rest in between.

2014-08-23%2012.05.35.jpg

• Like 5

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

20140824_111608_zpsf841484b.jpg

This my daughter  lunch yesterday, a small bacon, cheese quiche.  My husband had the same.

20140824_1117161_zps4211883f.jpg

I had a left over salad.

• Like 3

image.jpg

Another Ramen hack. Half package of instant noodles, seasoning package tossed, an egg, some bok choy and leftover Korean barbecue chicken. The stock was homemade from smoked turkey, chicken head neck and feet, and some bacon.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

• Leftover chicken, snow fungus & angled loofah soup; with Fuzhou-type thin wheat noodles.

• Cauliflower florets & curly kale leaflets stir-fried with garlic, vegetable oil, oyster sauce, light soy sauce & cooking sake.

DSCN2518a_800.jpg

DSCN2520a_800.jpg

• Like 1