• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

it's sort of a Pre-SV era dish !

:biggrin:

it's sort of a Pre-SV era dish !

:biggrin:

Yes. I am pretty sure I have seen a similar technique many years ago. Perhaps Michel Richard?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh Yeah  :

Happy In the Kitchen

as good as it gets.

One Big Tome of 

Happiness in the Kitchen.

thank you.  Ill get some more Watts and Amps in my Kitchen, and start after everything get re-arringed 

and start with This Book

which Im looking at  and has No SV.

he did some PBS vids

i have then and Ill look them up 

after all ...

Happy in the Kitchen says it all :

http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Kitchen-Michel-Richard/dp/1579652999/ref=sr_1_5/183-3783510-9158026?ie=UTF8&qid=1401915234&sr=8-5&keywords=happy+in+kitchen

thank you.

• Like 1

• Deep-fried firm tofu chunks, w/ French Breakfast radishes, pickled cucumbers, chopped romaine lettuce.

• Leftover stewed/braised beef shins & pork w/ bamboo shoots & daikon, with white rice.

DSCN1707a_800.jpg

DSCN1711a_800.jpg

• Like 1

Fried seaweed rolls (Korean, I believe) from Hmart. Filled with rice, ingredients list said also contained burdock root. Rice grains were completely separate and rounded in shape, not compressed/sticky like a Japanese roll. Tempura like batter outside. Came with soy dipping sauce, which made the dish. I ate them at room temp (had stopped at the market on the way back to the office) and they were still good. Bet they'd benefit from a quick reheat in a hot oven to re-crisp.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Made a couple of hamburgers. Hachéd the beef then added chopped pieces of bone marrow and seasoned them. The patties were then left overnight in the fridge.

1patties.jpg

Fried and served with lettuce, tomato, and onion in the nearest Chinese baking gets to a hamburger bun (actually more like a thick pitta bread).

Hamburger w Bone Mzrrow.jpg

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

White rice re-heated and topped with onions and calve's liver.

First nutrition break! I posted this in the lunch topic although it was eaten at 4 PM this afternoon. I called it first nutrition break for a number of reasons. The elementary schools in my school district no longer have a lunch break. They have first and second nutrition breaks. It seems to me not such a bad idea. Instead of breakfast, lunch, and dinner/supper we have nutrition breaks. It solves the problem of where along that spectrum do we place a meal and we are no longer constrained by what is an appropriate food to consume at a certain time (as is the case with some of us). We could have as many nutrition breaks as suits our lifestyle. And because it really was the first time I ate today (usual reasons--too busy, distracted, etc.).

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today I wolfed down my lunch so quickly it never even occurred to me to take a photograph. But there is lots more where it came from. This recipe from Dorie Greenspan did not strike me as promising. Chicken thighs braised with peppers, onions and vinegar. But I have never had a Dorie Greenspan recipe let me down and this was no exception. It really is unexceptional in both ingredients and technique and yet it all comes together as it should. The peppers melt into luscious sweetness but the vinegar prevents them from being overwhelmingly sweet.

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

Some recent lunches.

-----------------------------------------

Chicken legs, chopped up, braised (stove top) w/ sautéed garlic/corn oil, some sliced ginger, sliced-up fresh shiitake mushrooms, Shaohsing wine (VERY generous pour, maybe a one-third-cup's-worth), ryori-shu, rice vinegar, salt, some sugar in the form of mirin-fuu.  Cut-up wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) went in just before the end.  Eaten w/ mei fun (skinny rice noodles) simply softened in hot water.

DSCN1716b_800.jpg

----------------------------------------

A war-horse dish: Pickled mustard soup.  This one was made w/ a duck leg quarter plus a couple of chicken legs.

DSCN1722a_800.jpg

----------------------------------------

Buffet brunch at Sichuan Restaurant, Carmel, IN.

1) Minced pork ball & daikon soup. 

2) Various cold cuts & stuff: pickled cucumbers, chillied beef tripe, beef tongue, scallion pig maw, savory chitterlings, chillied chicken, pickled bean sprouts in the middle.

DSCN1729a_500.jpgDSCN1730a_500.jpg

3) Chillied cellophane noodles w/ bean sprouts, sort-of dan-dan noodles, more pickled cucumbers.

4) Tea-smoked duck (not pictured)

5) Shell-on shrimp/prawns pan-fried w/ Szechuan chillies.  Baby bok choy stir-fried w/ garlic.

DSCN1734a_500.jpgDSCN1736a_500.jpg

5) Mapo tofu w/ white rice.  Plus some chillied stir-fried pork strips w/ "hard" yellow-skin tofu & celery.

DSCN1738a_500.jpg

-----------------------------------------

Stewed/braised pork hocks.  See here for details.

Red-streaked amaranth (yin choy) stir-fried w/ pre-softened dried shrimp & garlic.

White rice.

DSCN1745a_800.jpg

• Like 2

image.jpg

When I went grocery shopping a day or so ago I was appalled by the price of beef. My taste buds wanted ribeye but my purse strings said sirloin. I chose a small one. Today I cut it into two pieces, bagged it and put it in the sous vide at 55°C for one hour. I am not going to kid anyone that it became ribeye but it was a very tender and tasty steak.

Thinking again in terms of nutrition breaks my first break was meat and my second was vegetable!

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch a couple of days ago:

A sauté of garlic, olive oil, corned beef slices cut into strips, chunked tomatoes, chopped broccoli rabe, a splash of ryori-shu; then separately cooked fedelini [De Cecco], tossed in the pan with the heat turned down to medium.

DSCN1760b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpg

Ramen noodles cooked in chicken broth seasoned with ginger, garlic and star anise with asparagus, broccoli, and leftover sirloin.

My 2004 eG Blog

So many great looking lunches. 

Anna, first of all I like your Wing picture.   But I would be happy with everyone of your lunches.

Small%20Baguettes%20June%2011th%2C%20201

I baked another batch of mini baguettes - sandwich size.  

Sandwiches%20June%2012th%2C%202014%201-L

So today's lunch was His and Her sandwiches.

Steak for Moe and mine was tuna.

• Like 5

• Leftover lap cheong fried rice.  With some romaine heart leaves and pickled (chopped) hot lo0ng green chillies.

• Romaine blanched in oiled hot water, drained, drizzled w/ oyster sauce & dusted w/ ground white pepper.

DSCN1786a_800.jpg

DSCN1790a_800.jpg

See here for some chit-chat on doing veggies this way.

Edited by huiray (log)

image.jpg

BLT on just-baked semolina bread. If you can make a neat one let's see it!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

c0a15316-8c20-47ff-b7b8-0eca21b91701_zps

Made two lunch boxes for  my husband,  I am not sure he loves my love letters in srichacha as much as he  loves the sauce.

20140614_120037_zpsafe708ce.jpg

This is my  lunch today, it might look like a lot, but  it is  dwarf potatoes  ( made with small new potatoes ), baby plum tomatoes fresh onion salad  ( know to me as the  Transylvanians go to salad) ,   46 grams of ground beef ( left over from freezing ground beef today),  Ebba peas and 1 tablespoon sourcream  mixed with roasted  garlic.   Hubby and kid had  smoked boiling sausages, I use a brand and type that is name protected  so there is a lot of  real meat, peas and  dwarf potatoes.

The dwarf potato recipe is old, I can trace it back 100 years,  small potatoes fried in lard or  clarified butter , it actually calls for melted and filtered butter.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• "Marbled" scrambled farm eggs w/ chopped Western chives, simply salted.§

• Asparagus sautéed in corn oil, splashed w/ hon-mirin [Takara] & ryori-shu [Morita] and cooked on high heat to glaze the asparagus.

• Broccolini & snow peas "sautéed"/flash-fried w/ chopped smashed garlic, corn oil & salt.

(p.s. None of the veggies were pre-blanched.  The broccolini & snow peas were tossed into a very hot pan (with hot oil in it;  garlic preceeding the veggies by 5 seconds or so) and the pan covered within the second - one does this by placing the damp veggies in the upside-down cover, then inverting them into the pan and closing the lid down immediately.  The pan, still closed, is shaken with one hand holding the lid on, for a short while before taking the lid off. A splash of water is added, the pan re-covered for a short while.  The pan is uncovered, stuff tossed, and immediately plated when done.  High (gas) flame throughout.  The whole process takes maybe 3 minutes or so (or less). Pictures are not really possible through this process, unless someone else is standing by to take them. :-)  Additionally, in both veggie preps the aim was "sufficiently cooked" but definitely still crunchy.)

The mirin has a whole range of sugars in it plus alcohol.  The sake (ryori-shu) has salt in it as well as the alcohol.

§ Yes, the eggs are purposely allowed to brown in spots and it is desired that it occurs.

DSCN1796b_800.jpg

DSCN1801b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Oh I love potstickers.

We ended up with burger burritos, fried two burgers, sliced them added beans and tomatoes and spices, cooked and rolled up in a  tortilla.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Had had the pleasure of making a Father's day brunch for my family today. My stepdad was recently in the hospital so I really wanted to make things I knew he would like, all served buffet style on the sideboard.

I put out a nice cheddar  with crackers and homemade pimento cheese. Fresh toasted  buttered salted pecans.

Croissant french toast, and creamy scrambled eggs ( one of the first things he said he'd like after getting home from hosp.) Strawberry sauce and caramel topping for the FT. 

Brown sugar broiled pineapple.

Tomatoes ( grape/ cherry etc...red ,yellow,orange, zebra) tossed in a screaming hot wok with olive oil, salt and fresh thyme.

Filet mignon...  preseasoned ,brown butter, HOT skillet.

A riff on a New Orleans style BBQ shrimp,( Not all the cayenne ) but lots of buttery garlicky sauce served with a choice of grits, white rice and crusty baguette for mopping up sauce.

And Brownies for dessert.

My not yet 7 year old niece, after taking a bite of her French toast topped with strawberry sauce and whipped cream said to me..." you really outdid yourself!"

And now I've just had some of the leftovers for dinner!

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

We hade  burgers, elbow macaronis and ketchup.  I just needed to feed a very cranky kid fast. 

I had isterband,  just a fried sausage...  I realized  that I again ate to little.

Another recent lunch:

• Shanghai choy sum stir-fried w/garlic.

• Sautéed garlic, fennel bulb (sliced), Purple Cherokee tomatoes (chopped), chicken-of-the-woods mushrooms (sliced), snow peas (halved), fennel fronds; tossed w/ spaghetti [De Cecco] in the pan.

DSCN1864c_800.jpg

DSCN1868b_800.jpg