• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

image.jpg

Re-heated leftovers. Chicken with vegetables.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"Pickled Cabbage Flavor Instant Vermicelli" ["White Family"; 白家].  With chopped scallions, chopped green leaf lettuce, two poached eggs (done separately, in water used to cook min6 sin3), slices of leftover salt-and-pepper picanha.  Slurp.

• Like 1

image.jpg

Instant kimchee-flavored noodles gussied up with some leftovers and an egg.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Asparagus, baby candy onion & firm tofu soup in dashi stock.

Followed by white rice w/ leftover beef shins & bamboo shoots in a miso sauce.

Stuff for the soup.

DSCN1515a_500.jpg  DSCN1520b_500.jpg

Katsuobushi went into simmering water.  Solids sieved out.  Hondashi stock went in.  Bit of oil.  The tofu, chopped onion, then asparagus followed.

ETA: Oh, plus some ryori-shu & hon-mirin.

Soup.

DSCN1525a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpg

Cheddar cheese melt on homemade baguette with smoked paprika and a side salad.

Baguettes, homemade or otherwise, have the lifespan of a gnat so a cheese melt is one way to enjoy one on day two.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Sapporo Ichiban Chicken-flavored instant ramen, with additional half-of-a yakisoba flavoring package; with firm tofu chunks, sliced negi, trimmed leafy celery, sliced salt-and-pepper sirloin top cap roast, halved French Breakfast radishes.

DSCN1529a_800.jpg

• Like 2

Equal parts Worcestershire and olive oil, some fresh thyme, salt and a splash of heavy cream. Perfect with a steak salad.

a vinaigrette without vinegar?

a vinaigrette without vinegar?

Check the ingredients of Worcestershire sauce.

My 2004 eG Blog

• Free-form nicely browned omelette w/ one shallot, sliced, and lots of chopped Western chives.  Eaten w/ chive flowers & pickled Japanese cucumbers.

• Fedelini [De Cecco] with leftover Hazan tomato sauce (from dinner) & Parmigiano Reggiano.

DSCN1552a_800.jpg

DSCN1557a_800.jpg

• Like 1

huiray did you just eat the chive flowers as is? I had some a bit ago and drizzled with olive oil and roasted till almost crispy - they were delightful, I like to shallow fry various herb blossoms along with the leaves. My neighbors grown kids always mention Heidi;s fried flowers as an awesome treat. 

Heidi, I ate the flowers as-is.  Quite pleasant in a vegetal way w/ a contrast in texture (chewy-crunchy) to the omelette. :-)  Ditto w/ the pickles, for that matter, which were yielding-crunchy.

Brunch.

"Mustard Green Duck Soup Flavored" fat ("fresh", in a sealed inner pouch) rice noodles; with sauce, seasoning & seasoned vegetable sachets inside as well.  Augmented w/ half of a head of harm choy (pickled mustard - of similar type to what is in the sachet that comes w/ the package), chopped up, simmered in water w/ the seasoning sachet contents, plus some rice vinegar, plus mirin, plus a couple dashes of Maggi sauce.  Plus trimmed scallions and dressed w/ deep-fried shallots when served. :-)

DSCN1560a_800.jpg

The package of stuff I used and built on:

DSCN1564a_800.jpg

• Like 1

Just about to go make lunch for myself:

BLT on toasted white bread with  my new obsession: Cain's mayonnaise.  Some oldtimers remember that I am a Miracle Whip girl but late last year my SIL had some of this around and I tasted it in her macaroni salad and swooned.  The taste is so different than any mayo I have ever eaten and I am hooked.

Also some bread and butter pickles.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpg

Small grilled steak with grilled (canned) artichoke hearts. (One day I will learn how to prep fresh artichokes.)

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow

a big Wow to 

AnnaN

who ever thought to grill  canned  ( in a jar ) artichokes !

granted that Henry VIII had the French Monopoly ..........

I come from CA not far from

http://www.artichokefestival.org/

you get firm ones  w thick stalks

the thick stalks  ( after you peel them ) are the same as the heart

then you peel them w a peeler

cut in 1/2  

micro wave just before tender

get rig of the choke

then you are in Artichoke Heaven

H VIII is long gone

but a good eater they say ..........

image.jpg

I am inordinately proud of this. It had to come together in a hurry (see my profile). Leftover steak, canned artichokes, a five-year-old cheddar cheese all bunged together and thrown into the Breville smart oven until the cheese melted and everything was hot. I was not expecting anything more than some fodder to keep me going. It was one of the most delicious things I have eaten in quite a while.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow.  very interesting.  did you rinse the 'Chokes ?

Ill put this on my To Do LIst.

i have found some Unexpected Good Things lately from the " lets make something w this stuff "

next time i do this Ill add my results.

Wow.  very interesting.  did you rinse the 'Chokes ?

Ill put this on my To Do LIst.

i have found some Unexpected Good Things lately from the " lets make something w this stuff "

next time i do this Ill add my results.

Yes I gave them a thorough rinse and a quick blotting with kitchen towel. That's the end of that can. Must buy some more.
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog