• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

image.jpg

First attempt at shu mai including making the wrappers. Served with Suvir's spicy tomato chutney. Much room for improvement in the shu mai.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• Fresh "winter bamboo shoots" (the large head type) - halved, bracts and woody parts peeled/trimmed off, then quartered; simmered in water for a while.  Fresh slender bamboo shoots (packaged) simmered in water for a bit too.  All combined & sautéed w/ smashed garlic (lots) in vegetable oil followed by a slurry of mutenka shiro miso [Maruman] & preserved beancurd with sesame oil [Gold Bole], cooked a bit, then trimmed fresh wood-ear fungus and halved fresh shiitake mushrooms added, the mix covered & simmered.  Firm tofu cut into blocks added, simmered to completion.  Seasoning adjusted.

• Fresh asparagus & trimmed scallions sautéed w/ oil & fish sauce containing chili & whole anchovies (Mam ca com an lien) [Quang Tri Food (Hanoi)] (this one), Cap Jempol chili sauce, and nuoc mam pha san [CHL], then tossed w/ just-cooked-and-drained fresh skinny wonton noodles.

DSCN1371a_800.jpg

DSCN1373a_800.jpg

• Like 3

Lunch:

PepPizza.jpg

Pepperoni Pizza-ish

TJ's sourdough bread  ( they get it here from When Pigs Will Fly, N.H. )

thick cut fresh tomatoes  ( aged one week w a few apples in a Brown Paper Bag )

TJ's 4 cheeses  ( grated in the bag )

Tj's Sliced Pepperoni  ( Ciao ? )   broiled in the BV-XL

added some dried oregano, red pepper flakes and olive oil  ( TJ's Kalamata )

the tomatoes make this dish.  10 minutes start to finish.

Hot Plate !  5 minute cool down at least.

Yum !

as Im a bit under the weather, guess what's for dinner !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

image.jpg

An early morning appointment meant that I left the house this morning with only one cup of coffee and no breakfast. By the time my appointment was over I was positively swooning. Had this been 1914 instead of 2014 I might've found myself on the floor with someone wafting smelling salts under my nose. Instead I found myself at home pushing buttons on my Keurig and throwing together this salad which I ultimately dressed with Jacques Pepin's Worcestershire cream vinaigrette.

The meat is sous vide chuck eye; the cheese Castello.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

""  Jacques Pepin's Worcestershire cream vinaigrette.  ""

which book or site did this come from?

Im a big JP fan

Looks like I have egg on my face instead of in my salad! I list it as a JP recipe but cannot trace it back to him. Too bad. Still think he'd love it. Equal parts Worcestershire and olive oil, some fresh thyme, salt and a splash of heavy cream. Perfect with a steak salad.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I made munchies.

DSCN1400a_800.jpg

Then had skinny wonton noodles w/ a sauce of minced pork, celery, scallions, sliced shallots, garlic, various seasonings plus Maggi sauce.  Eaten w/ pickled chopped hot long green chillies.

DSCN1401a_800.jpg

• Like 2

• Unsalted butter, walnut halves, Gorgonzola Dolce, heavy cream, spaghettini.

• Taiwan A-choy, celery, scallions, French Breakfast Radishes, Kumato tomatoes, (raw) asparagus, Alziari olive oil (this one), 10-year-old balsamic, ground black pepper, Himalayan salt.

DSCN1412a_800.jpg

DSCN1413a_800.jpg

• Like 6

Igor Novara Gorgonzola Dolce, Vella Dry Jack, Kenny's St. Jerome, Ocooch Mountain. 

La Panzanella rosemary mini-croccantini.

Pickled Japanese cucumbers & scallions, toasted sesame seeds.

DSCN1428a_800.jpg

• Like 3

My mother has an exceptional sense of smell and taste. I suppose that's the reason behind her preference for very simple food. Today for lunch we had half a potato, some mushrooms and a boiled celery! I went so far as to have salt on mine.

002 (640x480).jpg

• Like 2

• Sautéed morels & asparagus (green & purple).

• Fried tofu puffs sautéed w/ chopped scallions, garlic, a bit of "Luscious Soy Sauce", ryori-shu, mirin; tossed w/ fresh pappardelle & eaten w/ sliced Taiwan Bok Choy.

DSCN1467a_800.jpg

DSCN1468a_800.jpg

• Like 3

image.jpg

I have had these wings on my radar screen for some time. They are the middle section of the wing and are split between the two bones to speed cooking. The sauce contains Penang curry paste, coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar. This is reduced by 60% to thicken it. I over reduced and had to add some coconut milk to reduce the saltiness but they turned out fine. The recipe is on the blog Ladyandpups.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Takeout Chinese (which is passable for what it is ... also given the neighborhood (midtown Manhattan)). No pic, sorry.

Wonton soup

Brown rice

Spinach with garlic

Sweet-and-sour fish

Mango Snapple.

Sometimes, I don't want to think about what I'm having. Today is one of those days.

image.jpg

With all the sauces available to dress up chicken wings it's worth remembering that wings wearing only a smile can be oh so good.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog