• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

image.jpg

Curried sweet potato soup with a blob of very rich sour cream. I used my own garam masala rather than "curry powder" adding a teaspoon or so at the early cooking stage and a teaspoon toward the end.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Saturday's lunch:

• Hairy gourd soup.  Chit kua/mou kua (hairy gourd), peeled & cut into chunks.  Cubed beef sautéed w/ garlic in vegetable oil, salted, water added, a few dried cuttlefish & a small handful of dried prawns (har mai) thrown in; simmered for a bit; gourd pieces added, simmered till done.

• Black rice noodles with pork belly stewed/braised w/ jicama, bamboo shoots & wood-ear fungus in a miso-preserved bean curd sauce.

DSCN1143a_800.jpg

DSCN1144a_800.jpg

The uncooked black rice noodles:

DSCN1136a_800.jpg

• Like 2

image.jpg

A very lazy lunch. Bagged salad greens dressed with red wine/balsamic vinegars and walnut oil and topped with sliced smoked turkey thigh. I rarely eat turkey but smoked it becomes a different meat and smoked turkey thighs are an economical source of protein. The bones and some of the meat will soon make a tasty soup and I will toss some sliced or cubed meat into the freezer for speedy protein options on those days when speed matters.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Best memory of smoked turkey - "dinosaur legs" from Disneyworld. Our daughter was about 5 when we were there. In the evening, we were hungry, chilly, and were waiting for the Parade of Lights. There were 3 kids and 2 adults, and we thought we should share one leg. The vendor only had one, but more were on the way. We gave the daughter the first bite - she became VERY possessive and ate nearly the whole thing! We've never allowed her to forget that. :laugh:

We don't usually see smoked turkey unless it's Xmas. Maybe we'll be able to find some for Easter to provide a walk down memory lane!

And, I REALLY want some now...

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

AnnaN:  did you smoke the T.T.'s  or buy them that way.

around here, the Turks go on sale before T.Giving at 49 c/lbs, then seem to disappear.  when I had room in the SV freezer Id get all that I could fit in there then de-construct and SV

next time  Ill SV the thighs and legs and then Weber-ize them w smoke as i do the corned beef.

good idea, thanks for the reminder

FD  I like turkey and the Br. goes into SV for sandwiches which are to die for.  next Ill smoke a few chunks after the SV

Best memory of smoked turkey - "dinosaur legs" from Disneyworld. Our daughter was about 5 when we were there. In the evening, we were hungry, chilly, and were waiting for the Parade of Lights. There were 3 kids and 2 adults, and we thought we should share one leg. The vendor only had one, but more were on the way. We gave the daughter the first bite - she became VERY possessive and ate nearly the whole thing! We've never allowed her to forget that. :laugh:

We don't usually see smoked turkey unless it's Xmas. Maybe we'll be able to find some for Easter to provide a walk down memory lane!

It is available year round here. Not as good to my mind as smoked pork hock but.....

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN:  did you smoke the T.T.'s  or buy them that way.

around here, the Turks go on sale before T.Giving at 49 c/lbs, then seem to disappear.  when I had room in the SV freezer Id get all that I could fit in there then de-construct and SV

next time  Ill SV the thighs and legs and then Weber-ize them w smoke as i do the corned beef.

good idea, thanks for the reminder

FD  I like turkey and the Br. goes into SV for sandwiches which are to die for.  next Ill smoke a few chunks after the SV

Nope quit smoking a while back. Seriously, I have no facilities for smoking here and it's never truly caught my imagination. Kerry Beal smokes cheese and I count myself lucky to be in the small circle that benefits from it. These turkey thighs are common in the supermarkets most of the year.

My 2004 eG Blog

Broccoli rabe with Brat Schnecken [Claus'] (casing removed, meat broken up), lots of garlic, olive oil, chopped shallots, sweet red & yellow mini-peppers, hot chilli flakes, dried thyme, a bit of chicken stock, sea salt.  Tossed w/ spaghetti [Garofalo].

Ti Kuan Yin Oolong tea.

DSCN1151a_800.jpg

DSCN1152a_800.jpg

Sausage meat, peppers, garlic, salt, thyme sautéed separately from the broccoli rabe, shallots, chilli flakes, chicken stock then recombined (all juices and oil dripppings as well) before adding the wet spaghetti and tossing in the pan on heat.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

image.jpg

A rare treat for this low-carber. Smoked turkey on just-baked white sandwich bread with a load of crispy romaine. I was struggling with some health issues this morning. My grandmother always told me that bit of what you fancy does you good. She was right.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

We went through a bunch of those "dinosaur legs" as well. It was my favorite, best bang, thing to eat in the Magic Kingdom

Something I had been meaning to make for a while.

"Patan".

At least what I ended up with this first time.  :-)

DSCN1156a_800.jpg

A very simple dish.  Yakisoba [i used Maruchan brand, imported from Japan], blanched in hot water for a few minutes; drained, drizzled with and tossed with black sesame oil, chopped scallions, some light soy sauce, and LOTS OF RAW CHOPPED SMASHED GARLIC.  I used a whole head of garlic.

It was...potent.  But, scrumptious.  Maybe I'll use a tad less raw garlic next time.  :-D

This is a "house staff dish" in a Taiwanese-Chinese shop in Yokohama specializing in pig innard dishes, featured in episode 2 of Season 3 of Kodoku no Gurume (English-subtitled video here; the dish is first mentioned at 16:38 of Part 1, dominates from 5:04 onwards in Part 2, and the preparation briefly shown at 15:00 on in Part 2).  I didn't do the dipping-in-soup alternative, I'll do it next time. :-)

• Like 3

Lunch ( and Dinner + ) :

Carnita burrito:

Carnitas.jpg

from a local small hispanic market and take-out place in its rear area.  one town over.

the green sauce is there own, its just right in heat but I would have liked a little more.  they give it to you

in those little plastic containers they fill by hand.

this is the second best carnita burrito ive ever had. its a lot closer to me than gruillenses in Palo Alto Ca,

the Carnita Burrito capital of the world. and yes, Im a Student of the Carnita Burrito.

the 'green' I count as a Veg.  chopped fresh cilantro.

this was easily enough for two meals.  I snarfed it down in one sitting, my practice.'  i was going to

cut it in half to show you its contents, but I didnt have the heart to inflame your passions at a distance.

only a few of you probably can get something like this easily.  that little 'tail' pointing out of the Burrito in the lower R

is a sample of 

the Carnita:  crunchy, soft inside, delicious.  just a little teaser.

I should have had an ice ice cold beer in a frosty glass, but forgot.

now its time for a Nap.  either that or work a little more on my Taxes.  no contest.

:wacko:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

Chả giò chay and deep-fried firm tofu slices.  Eaten w/ Lingham's chili sauce, pickled cucumbers & scallions.  Plus some of the beef shin stew from breakfast.

DSCN1163a_800.jpg

• Like 3

image.jpg

Somehow today got away from me and it was mid-afternoon before I knew it. So I quickly de-boned a chicken thigh, flattened it with my tiny cast iron pan, seasoned it and cooked it in the same pan (it barely fitted). A cheese muffin and some red pepper jelly provided the starch and vegetable sides.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog