• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

Lunch yesterday:

Remainder of the stewed pork hocks (see here), a nice solid mass of blended-in tasty gelatin & stuff after leaving overnight - reheated & served over skinny wonton noodles with blanched kai lan alongside.

DSCN0830a_800.jpg

• Like 3

Pok Pok wings.

image.jpg

Should have stopped here as these were delicious.

image.jpg

Final as per recipe were just too salty. And I used Red Boat fish sauce. Very disappointing. Suspect I don't tolerate salt as well as others might.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today Part 1:

• Agedashidofu chez huiray.  I used a 1:1 corn flour/tapioca flour mix for the (generously applied) coating.  Dressed w/ katsuobushi & scallions; plus a few splashes of shoyu.

DSCN0848a_800.jpg

Lunch Part 2:

• Filet-O-Fish (2 for $4 today!!) & a small fries. :-)

DSCN0852a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpg

A big refreshing salad.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A delicious soup that I just tossed together.  A pound of stew meat that cooked all night long, then added a can of beef broth, some carrots, two cans of diced tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil, and a can of mushrooms.  Delicious.

Looks great.  What sort of dressing did you use?

The mayo jar was almost empty so I added a little cream, some minced garlic, a squirt of lemon juice, salt and pepper. Gave it a good shake and drizzled it on the salad.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today:

• White asparagus, seared in a hot pan w/ a little oil & sea salt.  With some bunapi-shimeji (white beech) mushrooms, tossed in the pan after doing the asparagus.  Dressed w/ finely sliced Napa cabbage heart & scallions (green part only). 

• Coarse Braunschweiger, Zungenwurst & Westphalian Ham [all from Claus' German Sausage & Meats]; with semolina bread [Amelia's] (& butter).

DSCN0869a_800.jpg

DSCN0874a_800.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpg

Caesar salad topped with two slices of crispy bacon.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

• Simple deep-fried soft tofu slices, fairly thin.  Finely cut raw Napa cabbage heart.  Lingham's Hot Sauce mixed w/ fresh lime juice & chopped de-seeded hot long green chilli.

• Fried rice, with sliced pork belly, garlic, Chinese chive flowers, scallions, sliced negiMore details in the pork belly cook-off thread.

DSCN0907a_800.jpg

DSCN0913a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpg

One day I'll get drummed out of eG. Bought some canned mushrooms yesterday. Not sure what came over me but not so long ago my pantry was never without a few cans. Nostalgia? Anyway there they were and I was determined to use them. Washed them long and hard. Drained and dried as much as possible. Sauteed in ghee with garlic. Pan deglazed with some dry sherry and then a little cream. Mushrooms and sauce put in small baking dish along with some more of the Costco chicken and showered with grated Comte. Baked 400 F for 10 minutes. Doubt many would have guessed that the mushrooms were canned. Can spare a few inches of pantry space for a can or two.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N,

There is no reason to be skittish about canned mushrooms, in my view - and eG purists can fulminate all they want. (Smile, folks)  I use them myself without any injury to my senses or person or idea of self. :-) I definitely have them in my pantry.  I think they're just fine for what they are and for the occasions that call for them, whether as straw mushrooms in a convenient form, or standard mushrooms or whatnot.  In fact, the taste of canned or bottled (OK those may be better) standard mushrooms in a dish or even by themselves (e.g. when pickled) are treated by me as a "separate taste" from blazingly fresh mushrooms which some may aver are all that they allow to cross their lips. ;-) :-) 

My two cents.

p.s. Why wash them so hard?  They won't become "fresh mushrooms" by washing them, they just are. :-)

• Like 1

Anna N,

There is no reason to be skittish about canned mushrooms, in my view - and eG purists can fulminate all they want. (Smile, folks)  I use them myself without any injury to my senses or person or idea of self. :-) I definitely have them in my pantry.  I think they're just fine for what they are and for the occasions that call for them, whether as straw mushrooms in a convenient form, or standard mushrooms or whatnot.  In fact, the taste of canned or bottled (OK those may be better) standard mushrooms in a dish or even by themselves (e.g. when pickled) are treated by me as a "separate taste" from blazingly fresh mushrooms which some may aver are all that they allow to cross their lips. ;-) :-) 

My two cents.

p.s. Why wash them so hard?  They won't become "fresh mushrooms" by washing them, they just are. :-)

I'm guessing you couldn't quite see my tongue in my cheek. I gave up canned mushrooms when I was trapped by a food-snob web but I've fought my way out! I washed them to reduce the sodium as much as I could and to get rid of that faint metallic taste. I so agree that mushrooms and canned mushrooms are two different vegetables each of which can shine under the right circumstances. Always appreciate your input. Anna

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Stir-fried romaine lettuce with meatballs.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Soup. Turkey broth simmered with ginger, garlic and some soy sauce before adding frozen, homemade shrimp and pork wontons, zucchini "noodles" and some romaine. Finished with a smidgen of MSG and a slick or two of toasted sesame oil.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow

""  homemade shrimp and pork wontons  ""

good for you !   :biggrin:

I buy the stuff frozen at the Chinese Emporium  'Prime Foods' and consider myself lucky !

do you grate frozen ginger ? from the 'hand'   revelational for me !

Kudos your way !