• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

This is a continuation of the Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014) topic, which grew too large for our servers to load.

Today, a modified "Pasta Carbonara". Note quotes.

Three egg yolks, shaved Pecorino Romaro, sautéed diced guanciale plus lamb bacon [both from Goose the Market], some of the fat/oil from the sauté, ground black pepper, linguine [De Cecco], parsley leaflets.

DSCN0442b_1k.jpg

p.s. The pic shown of the plated stuff was about half of what I made. ;-)

Edited by Mjx
Note added. (log)
  • Like 5

I'm in on the New Thread!! :)

My version Of " Lotus Root Soup

This is a package Lotus root ( First Timer here ), I blanch the Baby Bok choy, saute the king Trumpet, then assemble in my dark chxn broth, infused with Asian type flavors.

Toppings--Tofu, scallions and Sambal Oelek

BTW--any other ideas for Lotus root, clue me in?

12239753263_cc5ad7e100_k.jpg

• Like 5

Its good to have Morels

Lotus root - besides soup, one can use it in stir fries (pair w/ other crunchy veggies, or have a mix of crunchy and "soft textured" veggies/conmponents [try fresh wood-ear fungus as one component]); in braises w/or w/o meat; as a tempura item; steamed w/ seasonings and/or complementary veggies w/ or w/o meats... One might google "lotus root recipes" too. :-)

image.jpg

Leftover Shanghai noodles, Shanghai bok choy, bean sprouts, egg and meat stripped from leftover pork ribs.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"Stinky Tofu" (臭豆腐 chòu dòu fǔ).

Hunan style fermented tofu with chilli sauce, scallions and coriander leaf (cilantro). It stank, but it was delicious.

chou doufu4.jpg

EDIT: more info on the Stinky Food thread.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

liuzhou:

How is this stinky tofu packaged, sold, and served in this picture. Looks really interesting!
Is the texture soft and silky inside?
WHY is it that stinky food, such as this and durian can smell SO bad but taste SO GOOD!? I think spicy chili sauce really adds to a dish like this.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

liuzhou:

How is this stinky tofu packaged, sold, and served in this picture. Looks really interesting!

It is strictly street food. I've never come across it in a restaurant, or seen it available for home preparation.

I'm currently working on a post for my blog with more details, but need to track down my favourite supplier and question her a bit more. I'll let you know when I"ve sorted it out.

Yes, it is soft and silky inside.

WHY is it that stinky food, such as this and durian can smell SO bad but taste SO GOOD!? I think spicy chili sauce really adds to a dish like this.

Good question. If only I had a good answer. I love durian. There is a durian café in town which only sells durian, durian sodas, durian ice cream etc. I was there just this afternoon. But I have friends who won't even walk down the street where it is.

Then there are the wonderfully putrid cheeses from France and Italy.

More information on the Stinky Food thread.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

A cheese plate for lunch a few days ago:

Whole-grain seeded Lavash crackers; then going clockwise - Rustica alle Noci, Toscana, Polkton Corners, Bohemian Blue, Caso Bolo Mellage.

DSCN0449a_1k.jpg

• Like 5

image.jpg

Swedish crispbread topped with smoked salmon flavoured cream cheese, cucumber and topped with shichimi togarishi.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch a few days ago:

Leftover daikon-pork balls-pepper soup (see here), w/ min6 sin3 () (mee sua) and pickled scallions & Japanese cucumbers.

DSCN0472a_1k.jpg

--------------------------

Lunch yesterday:

Linguine & fresh fettucine w/ butter, walnuts, cream, gorgonzola.

DSCN0483b_1k.jpg

Leftovers for lunch today.

• Like 3

I made some soup. I don't know what you'd call it. Maybe chicken, bean and vegetable soup. I cooked some pre spoaked mixed beans in water,(I took out most of the lima beans) poached chicken breasts in chicken stock. Cooked onion, baby bok choy, garlic, carrots, potato, zucchini in olive oil until softened. Added can of diced tomatoes, bay leaf, Parm. cheese rind, chicken, chicken stock, a little beef stock and simmered about an hour. Tasted for salt. Added cheese tortellini, cooked 7-10 minutes, removed bay leaf, served.

DSCN1249_zps04fc07ce.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

Ive never had a prob. w the Root Canal.

maybe you and the Root-ist need to 'review proceedures '\

just saying

I think a 'french dip' on some Fine Prime would work ...

just dip that Bun in the Jus.

just saying again.

BTW they use Microscopes for the R.C. your way?

Look Them Up.

• Like 1

IMG_1067.jpg

Had some pork belly in the fridge that needed using up - so took along all the fixin's for ramen to work today. Used the Cheater's Asian Broth, soy sauce eggs from Japanese Soul Cooking. A very satisfactory lunch. Need to get a couple of deeper bowls to keep at work.

• Like 5

I roasted a couple of small chickens this morning, mostly with the aim of making pie. Half of one of them made lunch.

This is when I turned them during roasting:

2014-02-07%2012.49.40.jpg

and this is them done:

2014-02-07%2013.11.13.jpg

I need to use a little bit shallower pan to get the browning all the way down the sides. Other than that, not much room for improvement. I ate the half with just a spoonful of roasting juices - the breast's juicy & tender, the skin's crispy all over and the red meat's cooked just right, leaving the bones clean.

- salted inside & out, 1tsp (~5g) salt per 2.25lb bird, bagged in the fridge for 48 hrs, & dried for another 48 hrs in the fridge, uncovered on the roasting rack in the roasting pan

- turned every 12 hours throughout (or, once after dinner and once after getting up in the morning)

- roasted at 200C breast down for 40 minutes. A few tablespoons of water added to the pan first, to keep the drippings from ending up burnt

- turned and roasted 20 minutes - turning up to 210C at first, watching & going to 220C for the last 5 minutes

Green beans to follow, then coffee.

Edited by Blether (log)
  • Like 5

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

IMG_1079.jpg

Like deja vu all over again - but needed to show off my lovely ramen bowl that I picked up at J-town when we were last there.

Those soy sauce eggs get a little salty after a couple of days in the marinade!

• Like 3

Two recent simple lunches.

-----------------------

• Fried rice. Done w/ smashed chopped garlic w/ peanut oil, diced Dodge City Salami, sliced Debreziner sausages, 3 eggs scrambled in situ, chopped/chiffonaded collard greens, two-day-old Basmati rice, salt to taste. Served w/ coriander leaves garnish.

• Remainder of the daikon - pork meatballs - white pepper - pork bone stock soup from a couple days ago.

DSCN0487a_1k.jpg

DSCN0490a_1k.jpg

------------------------

• Chicken (drumstick), garlic, cabbage & parsley soup; w/ min6 sin3 (mee sua).

DSCN0494a_1k.jpg

• Like 3

On Wednesday I mentioned the local Italian place, Il Mondo. Of course I had to have lunch there:

Five assorted appetisers and small salad. The pink/purple one is delicious pickled onion:

2014-02-12%2013.17.25.jpg

Tomato/cream/prawn pasta:

2014-02-12%2013.25.28.jpg

- and coffee, JPY1,200 total, about twelve bucks. There are cheaper courses, but I though I'd push the boat out.

• Like 2

That is a beautiful looking pie, Blether. I had to look up 'mizuna' but found I know it by its Chinese/Japanese name (水菜 shuǐ cài), after all. It's not common round here, but turns up occasionally. I've eaten it in restaurants but never cooked it.

robirdstx - sign me up for the mail order wrap service, too.

• Like 1

Thanks, Liuzhou. I posted the pie in Dinner! when it was newly-baked. Yes, mizuna is how that's read in Japanese - 'na' is the native or kun- reading, 'sai' as in yasai 野菜, vegetables, is the on- or (Japan's) Chinese reading.