• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Crackers

weinoo

I was interested in what people do with the broken crackers that appear when you open a bag or box.

But what are your favorite crackers?

I like Triscuits (original), Stoned Wheat Thins, and Carr's plain.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

You know, I was thinking about Finn Crisp's and Ak Maks, which I like a lot - I often have them for an afternoon snack with a bit of cheese or hummus. But I really never put them out when I'm having company; they just seem, well, too healthy.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Indeed - Ak Mak are difficult to find - I have had to bring them back from Trader Joes - so I hoard them for myself!

Just thinking to myself...gosh, I used to love Ak Mak crackers but haven't seen them in years.

Tried Mary's Crackers. Loved them. My S-i-L said: are you crazy? You can't eat those kind of crackers at your age! She was right. Broke a tooth. Obviously the tooth was not a well tooth, but maybe it could have lasted a few more years. End of eating Mary's crackers.

DH used to love Stoned Wheat Thins but says they have changed the formula and now they are a disappointment. We are ISO a replacement favorite cracker for him.

I usually eat the softest variations of the WASA and Ryvita crackers. And they are not put out for company. Too large and too healthy!

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ak Mak and Finn-crisp are nice, but come in tiny boxes.

For me, Ritz is great. The standard by which all others are measured. Only downside is their QC, which is terrible. All sorts of mutant crackers show up in a box of Ritz.

• Like 2

Love the original Wheat Thins but the formula in Canada is different (!!!) so don't buy them here. We get a thin crisp rice cracker that we like a lot but no one else seems to, judging from the leftovers at our soirees. The very thinnest Finn Crisp rye crackers are lovely but hard to find. Ditto Ak Mak.

Thinking about it, I don't like most of the cracker offerings available to us, at least the ones I know of. Most seem to have too strong a character of their own, overwhelming the cheese/paste/meat things that go atop them, or have an unpleasant cardboard texture -- except the commercial ones loaded with weird fats.

I will read others' favorite suggestions hopefully!

gfweb wrote: ". All sorts of mutant crackers show up in a box of Ritz."

Wow! I eat these all the time (they're my go-to cracker) and I've never run into this.

These days I buy the square-ish box with the smaller tubes of crackers - less staling.

Love the original Wheat Thins but the formula in Canada is different (!!!) so don't buy them here.

Stoned Wheat Thins originated in Canada. They are available in some places in the States also. We have bought them in Utah for years but haven't been back since the Canadian formula changed. So I can't say about the current state of the cracker in the USA.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

gfweb wrote: ". All sorts of mutant crackers show up in a box of Ritz."

Wow! I eat these all the time (they're my go-to cracker) and I've never run into this.

These days I buy the square-ish box with the smaller tubes of crackers - less staling.

Huh. I get folded-over ritz and flat sided ones every few boxes.

Hands down my favorite are from Trader Joe's: What used to be called the "Entertainer" cracker, and was discontinued, then reintroduced a year or so later as "Some Enchanted Cracker: multigrain crackers perfect for entertaining" and now seem to be permanently stocked.

They're fairly big and substantial, perfectly crispy and crackery, they don't feel greasy (as some crackers can), and they taste awesome.

I was interested in what people do with the broken crackers that appear when you open a bag or box.

But what are your favorite crackers?

I like Triscuits (original), Stoned Wheat Thins, and Carr's plain.

that is more or less the default threesome when I put cheese/crackers out for company...for plain eating Triscuits.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Kirkland Ancient Grains Crackers & Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar are the only Costco sampled products I've ever brought home with me. I like them so much I've actually repurchased them many times. Stoned Wheat Thins used to be my go to.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Ak Maks and Finn Crisps. I used to get some crackers that came as an enormous wheel, but, I haven't seen those in a while. I haven't put out crackers for entertaining in a while, back when I did there was a Trader's Joe's cracked wheat kind that I liked. (IIRC, the box art showed them sparkling?)

I think I would have put out Ak Maks more, but, never remembered to buy multiple boxes. Also, Ak Maks and Finn Crisps are really pretty large. Smaller crackers seem neater for parties. I think I thought about breaking some in half and dressing them in advance but never actually did it.

Love the original Wheat Thins but the formula in Canada is different (!!!) so don't buy them here.

Stoned Wheat Thins originated in Canada. They are available in some places in the States also. We have bought them in Utah for years but haven't been back since the Canadian formula changed. So I can't say about the current state of the cracker in the USA.

Not "Stoned Wheat Thins" which taste the same on both sides of the border, but the Nabisco (Canada Christie) Wheat Thins.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just discovered crackers by the name of Biscottatini, under the D'Italiano label. They come in two flavours - Olive Oil and Salt and the other one is Garlic and Parsley. They might remind one of Paris Toasts but these are way better in that even on their own they are very good. They are not as dense as Paris Toasts which makes them a "softer" cracker if that is the right word for it. We are on our third bag and I only discovered them last week! I don't know who all carries them but I found them at Loblaw's.

Must have cracker: La Panzanella Croccantini. The plain original is great for any kind of cheese or spread or pate. With various cheeses and spreads I like to serve a mix of baguette slices and these crackers. If no fresh baguette is available, like it's a holiday or something, these are indispensable. The fennel is great too, but I don't usually snack on crackers if I can help it. I am also very fond of various Italian olive oil puffy crackers, but they are a splurge and dangerous if they are in the house. If I was big on cracker snacking croccantini would get pricey.